Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Using Media player on newer model

Trying to access YouTube etc on media player on our new Airstream.
Please advise.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Not sure I understand the question?
Do you have access to the Internet while in your trailer?
What type of media player do you have?
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Yes. Do I need to hook the internet to the back of the media player? If so I'm looking for anybody who's wired that before to give me advise. I have nowhere for the Internet coaxial cable to enter the 30fb. I have the modem in the outdoor storage compartment The coaxial entering the storage compartment doesn't effect opening and closing. The tv media player is in a upper storage cupboard at the other end of the Airstream
I'd like all the wires to be hidden but that seems difficult.
The TV has some great features that I'd love to use. Without it been wired to the modem I'm unable to use these features.
Help.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking either.

Does you modem broadcast wifi throughout the trailer? The newer smart TVs can join that wifi network without running any additional wires.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
A media player requires an Internet connection in order to access any of the streaming sites, like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. This can be a wireless WIFI connection or a wired coaxial connection from a router/cable modem.

The router/cable modem needs to be connected to some Internet server provider (ISP) provider. The router can also provide a wireless signal, but again, it has to be connected to an ISP.

The media player is connected to the TV by an HDMI cable. The media player can play pre-recorded content when there is an external hard drive connected to it by a USB cable. A smart TV can also play streaming content from the Internet but you must have an ISP connection by either WIFI or coaxial cable.

On the outside of your AS there should be a place for a coaxial cable input (mine has a phone connection too). Mine is on the left rear near the shore power connector. This can be for the TV or a cable modem to provide Internet access. The external coax can come from your home Internet cable or an RV park that provides the service (at a cost, usually).

So, after reading this, can you phrase your question so we have a better understanding of what you need?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVESALLY View Post
Trying to access YouTube etc on media player on our new Airstream.
Please advise.

Are you talking about the Blueray player apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc,? My 2016 Blueray player requires a wired internet, if you go to settings and network setup I saw only wired as an option. I confirmed this on the back of the Bluray player by plugging in a network cable from my router and it worked.

You can access the back of the Blueray player by removing it as its only Velcro'ed in. I used a thin screw driver to assist in releasing the Velcro as I didn't want to pull out the side stuck to the Airstream.

If this is what you are talking about, it's not going to be easy to wire. You'll need to find an internet router that will accept a wireless inbound signal and allows for a wired outbound signal. This is our setup but connecting to a new inbound wireless signal every time you move is complex (we mainly use Mifi's for this setup).

An alternative is get an AppleTV or an Amazon Fire TV, these are much easier to connect to a campsite wireless internet.

We use all three (DVD, AppleTV, & AMZ FireTV) and have an HDMI multi-input switch the plugs into the original DVD HDMI connection that will distribute all these inputs to both TV's.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
An alternative is get an AppleTV or an Amazon Fire TV, these are much easier to connect to a campsite wireless internet.

We use all three (DVD, AppleTV, & AMZ FireTV) and have an HDMI multi-input switch the plugs into the original DVD HDMI connection that will distribute all these inputs to both TV's.
Interesting idea of using a WIFI signal to connect to a modem so you can use a wired port, I didn't know that was possible. If you have a device like this please post its name so the OP can look for one.

I've not had much luck with CG WIFI, most are too slow, good only for email and some browsing. Media players, for anything other than playing movies off your own devices, require a connection to an Internet Service Provider. We use the Verizon Jetpack but data is very expensive; $100 for 10gb, just about 2 streamed movies.

Some phone companies, like T-Mobile, have options for unlimited access, but after 1 or 2 gb they start throttling your speed. I don't know how slow it would be or even if you could watch something.

Where we've traveled so far we've just cranked up the antenna and used the OTA channels available; much cheaper. If we start traveling more I'll probably consider one of the portable dish options, they seem to be pretty popular.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Using Media player on newer model

I use a simple little modem from Monoprice for $12 which gives me 100% coverage inside the Airstream and under the awing. There are many option out there but here is a link to what I use http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16133

It allows for setup of wireless inbound signal and rebroadcast this outbound with my own network settings so all my devices receive a consistent signal and don't require reconfiguring each time I move (I only need to configure the router based on what I want to use as an inbound signal).

One additional comment on bandwidth amount, try using SD (standard definition) vs HD, this should cut your download data amount at least in 1/2 if not more. Not sure any of us have 50+ TV's in our Airstream so SD still looks pretty good on 40in and smaller.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Each model is a bit different on the placement of the electronics. Be advised that most Internet solutions are wireless for this reason. You can access the roof through the refrigerator vent using it as a conduit to any device on top. The inside part can be a wireless router for inside your trailer so that your smart TV, blueray player, , etc. can get the signal and operate on the Internet. I added a wireless router with wired ports. My electronics cupboard is right next to the fridge so it was easy. for you I would suggest wireless if yours is in the locker.