Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Anybody using a Thetford tote (or other brand) with a newer AS?

I've been following some of the posts regarding the pros/cons of purchasing a tote tank but there seemed to be some concern with the tank fitting underneath the trailer. There was also some concern as to the dumping mechanism and ease of use (or not so easy!).

Has anybody purchased one this summer and had any good/bad experiences with their tote? What size did you buy - Thetford or otherwise? We're considering purchasing one for our '05 Safari for some extended camping stays but the reviews on here are very mixed.

Thanks for any feedback....Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Your trailer should have the current type/size outlet that fit's most of the holding tank fittings that are used today.

Us older AS's have the old Thetford larger fittings and can use an adapter to use the current hoses, etc.

We have a couple of 15 gallon Tote Along portable tanks with the wheels, and a heavy wire bracket that allows it to be hooked over the TV's hitch ball and be towed at low speed over to a sewer dump station.

Most of the State parks here in CA don't have hook ups, but most have dump stations, so the portable tank is a must if one is staying for several days.

I've never had any particular problems with these tanks...just make sure your fittings and hoses are in good shape...and rinse throughly, comment sense stuff, etc...it's a nasty job, but it's part of the price of fun...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
I have had a lot of valve problems that I contribute to using a tote tank. The Airstream is so low there is not enough drop or gravity to flow in the tote tank. As a result, I used a few lengths of sewer hose and tried to find a lower spot for the tote tank. This did not solve the problem.I think this caused the tissue to "stall" near the valve and when closing the valve caused the tissue to be embedded in the valve. What I decided to try is a waste water flo pump to accomadate hight diferential. Will let you know how it works if you are interested.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I usually put the blue boy next to the trailer connected with a short section of sewer hose. It is a generic blue blue boy. It is 22g and has a thingy you can attach to your tow ball to tow it to the RV dump station. The main problem is keeping the hose above the level of the blue boy inlet, especially at the inlet. It will still work but if it's lower becomes a big pee trap. An expandable hose support works good for me. I just switched to a Rhino sewer hose and it works much better than the slinkys. It's length is adjustable, it's tough, and will hold a bend and stay where you put it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi there...I purchased a Thetford 27gal. model this summer and haven't really had any problems with it. Sure, there is always a small bit that won't empty but otherwise it worked well. The biggest disappointment was staying at campgrounds that didn't have water hook-ups! Needless to say, if you're gray water is full..your fresh water is empty...grrr....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I bought a Smart tote by Thetford... 18 gal.. Much more than that and it is really heavy... The hose is built right in works great not problems.... Vents well has a pop up on it when it is full..... and has a metal handle that can go around your ball hitch to drag it to dump it at a dump station.... Like MG911 said there is always a little water left in it, but it comes with a hose adapter to flush it with.. I love it....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have the same tote Jason has, it works well for us. A caveat on it: It is a Thetford, but has a Valterra connector. It would have to be swapped out if you have Thetford fittings.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I use a 32 gallon tote, as this takes my full grey tank. The normal tote inlet is too high for the Airstream, as it is on the top. I therefore use the normal side outlet as my inlet and outlet. The 2 foot long pipe I use will contain a small amount of grey water after I have shut the valve, so I secure the open end to the top fitting of the tote while travelling to the dump station. I remove the top opening when filling the tote so that air can escape and I can check the level of the water. (There is an air vent, but I can't check the water level easily through that.) It has worked for us over the past 3 years.
Nick.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Totes

We used a tote about two times them sold it.

We now use this system that we like and use a lot.
United States, North America
You do have to watch when closeing your dump valve that no TP is in valve.After tank is empty I put 1 gal.of water down toilet before I close the valve.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
We've been using a Thetford 18-gal. for the past year and a half, and it's worked just fine. At times, you do have to watch the slant of your parking spot, because it can make it hard to get under the trailer and hook up the hose (not to mention the draining part). On those few occasions, I've put a couple of 2X6s under the tires of my trailer to raise it up a bit to make the tank drain better.

Generally, though, I haven't experienced many problems with it.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Sounds like some good feedback so far. I know a few people in this string (and others) have commented on the tank not fitting under the trailer valves but I haven't found this to be a real concern and/or problem. I also found dragging the tank across gravel to my TV was not a problem due to weight but that's just me.

One thing I do like that Purman mentioned is the included hose attachment for flushing. I suppose if this tank was going to be left in below freezing weather over the winter, some antifreeze might not be a bad idea due to the small amount of fluid left behind.