Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
I’ve done I10 a couple of time over last 3 years. Loved the RV park near Kerrville called Buckhorn Lake Resort. Close to attractions in Fredericksburg. A good overnight is Fort Stockton RV park in west Texas. Stop for lunch at Kranberries Chatterbox in Lordsbirg NM nice and easy RV parking. We enjoyed the grapefruit tree on our campsite at Lazydays KOA in Tucson near saguaro national park. Have fun.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Alpine , Texas
Traveling Rt10 Through Texas

I am a Texan living near the Mexican border and I would guess that the advice you got was from someone who thinks that anything outside the Houston loop is dangerous. I have been numerous times to the RV parks in Alpine, Lajitas, Marfa and areas of West Texas. My recommendation is to get off I-10 and see the rest of the world out there. Taking US 90 through Marathon, Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis and Balmorhea would be a great scenic side trip.
Ken-West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Ken-West has offered sound advice. In Marfa, the Tumble-In RV Park is excellent. The town a might strange -- classic Texas mixed with California Hipster with a twist of Latin Zing!
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree, the KOA in La Cruces is great. Stunning view.
A-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #25
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
I live in El Paso and I can assure you, it is perfectly safe to travel on I-10 through El Paso. The fact that someone would tell you it’s not, is laughable! What people fail to realize is that the crime rate here is low, and that’s with being a border city. But if you are coming through El Paso headed towards Las Cruces, I would take loop 375 and then take the Anthony Gap 404, which will get you past the construction and on the other end/side of town. It’s a much easier route then going through the Franklin Mountains. (Which is very scenic, but not as conducive when pulling a trailer.)
TXGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. We’ve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Don’t let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #27
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wd67rg View Post
We do i-15 to i-10 from San Diego through El Paso on our way to San Antonio all the time, and back again months later. Never had a problem. We’ve even been known to Stop in El Paso for lunch, or at the Wal-Mart, or to buy gas, and all was well. Don’t let anyone tell you different, they are just silly fools.
As I’m sure many know, we did have that mass shooting just recently at the Walmart off I-10. So tragic! Not sure which Walmart you have stopped at in the past, I’m assuming the one that got hit up. But the shooter traveled all the way from Allen, Texas to target Mexicans. So maybe people should be a little more concerned when traveling through other parts of Texas. (Note sarcasm). Keep enjoying our friendly city as you pass through. You will meet some of the friendliest people and you can enjoy some of the best authentic Mexican food. Julio’s is a favorite of ours off I-10. 😊
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We never felt unsafe due to crime, just a lot of heavy traffic and construction. We did take the mountain bypass on two occasions and would do that again. Much more relaxing.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

BRIGHTON , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
We never felt unsafe due to crime, just a lot of heavy traffic and construction. We did take the mountain bypass on two occasions and would do that again. Much more relaxing.
Thanks everyone for the info !!! I have taken good notes from everyone's comments and am planning accordingly.... especially the suggested BBQ stops.
juliesAS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fulshear , Texas
Very safe route — we’ve made dozens of trips to El Paso from both San Antonio and Dallas. Don’t pass up Cattleman’s Steakhouse in Fabens just east of El Paso. It’s a historic ranch (several movies were filmed there), and a great restaurant. The Davis Mountains and Balmorhea State Park are also great stops.
Scoot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot22 View Post
Very safe route — we’ve made dozens of trips to El Paso from both San Antonio and Dallas. Don’t pass up Cattleman’s Steakhouse in Fabens just east of El Paso. It’s a historic ranch (several movies were filmed there), and a great restaurant. The Davis Mountains and Balmorhea State Park are also great stops.

Balmorhea was closed to camping when we were through in March. Almost 5 months ago, but still check before going. They did not tell us the park was closed, because technically, they were open to day parking and use of their picnic tables right at the park entrance. Felt like we were severely misled since you weren't allowed more than 100 yds into the park.

Arrived late and no other place around, so we got to stay at this "lovely" graveled rv park nearby.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9366.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	349713  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #32
TXGal

2019 25' International
El Paso , Texas
Thought I would leave this as one last note. This is the type people and city you could expect to find when passing through. Family. #elpasostrong https://www.facebook.com/14404862896...822126&sfns=mo
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Balmorea is still closed due to faulty plumbing. Davis Mountain State Park is outstanding if take the hour to drive off I-10. Cell service sucks in the campground but good at the mountain top.
CinTerLine is offline   Reply With Quote