Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
Overnight setup

About to pickup our 2020 Classic (previously a DP owner). Wondering if folks unhook when camping overnight? Use stabilizers?

Thanks.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quick & simple:

Unplug umbilical
Plug in power - don’t forget surge protector
Water hose optional
Enjoy beverage of choice
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
On the road, we don’t unhitch, just plug in electric, water and good to go...
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Overnight setup

I rarely disconnect for stopovers. I put the tongue jack down, then the stabilizers, and then place a red “REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT” flag in front of the truck’s speedometer just as a reminder to raise them before departure in the morning.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/re...-streamer.html
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
A couple things determine how we approach this. If we're leaving bright and early, I'll keep her hitched up, no stabilizers down, no tongue jack down, maybe even no hookup at all, depending on water/electric needs. I will unplug the trailer cord to the truck though.

If we need lots of water, or want to dump, or need the air conditioner, or don't want to use gas to heat the trailer (say we use a 1200 watt heater) then we'll plug in, hook up water/sewer hose, etc.

Some of this depends on the state of charge on the batteries too.

Stabilizers only go down if the trailer movement bothers either of us.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Overnight is same as multi-day setup, except we disconnect trailer if we plan to use the car. If we don't we leave it hooked.

Note, level sometimes requires a disconnect to lower tongue. If we can make do for one night, we do.

Unlike some, we usually dump in the morning before we leave, even if it's a one night stay.

Stabilizers down, x-chocks in place, stove fan door unlocked, electrical plugged in power pad, umbilical pulled, Camara monitor stored, brake monitor stored, TV cable coax, air antenna if no cable, Microwave plate installed, TV unlocked, kitchen cabinet, Refrigerator, closet and drawers untied. Store mirrors if using car. Lock car.

Next day reverse above after installing sewer line, dumping black/gray tank and storing all after rinsing into sewer. Walk around to verify all in place. We run with lights, but they turn on and off when the car is started/stopped.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
For an overnight stop on a longer trip we will
1-be sure to unplug umbilical (or risk draining truck battery)
2-keep hitched
3-plug in electric if available
4-attach water if available
5-dump in the morning before leaving

We also prefer to gas up the truck when arriving at night. Then we can just hit the road in the morning.

Oh, and we always use wheel chocks, even if hitched.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If it's overnight on a level site, we pull up and park. That's it. We have a modern truck, it has all sorts of internal stuff that shuts off charge power to the umbilical. Not unhooking anything means that there is nothing to forget to deal with in the morning.

With our solar and battery setup, shore power is not an option on a one night stop. Indeed 99% of the places we stop for the night don't have shore power anyway. Water and sewer are things we deal with once every week or two. That gets them out of the one night stop category as well.

If we are staying for a couple days, we unhook. We want to go places and do things. That's way easier if the trailer is unhooked. That is indeed specific to us, but I suspect it also applies to a lot of others as well. It's certainly what I see those camped around us doing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
1. Don’t unhook hitch. (Unless really unlevel). Do put power jack down to take pressure off hitch a bit.
2. Hook up water.
3. Don’t put stabilizers down.
4. Hook up electric.
5. Maybe hook up sewer hose.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
[QUOTE=uncle_bob;2303045]Hi
If we are staying for a couple days, we unhook. We want to go places and do things. That's way easier if the trailer is unhooked."

Same here. The only time we unhitch on an overnight is if the site is so unlevel we need to run the power jack more than just a "snug-up", or we want to head into a nearby town for dinner or supplies after we set up, although we usually try to get that done prior to arrival.

We have rarely (less than 5 times in 10 years) used the stabilizers. Just not enough motion to bother us and justify the extra work and time.

We do detach the umbilical and hook up whatever utilities we need (if available) for the night.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Ditto to what most others have said: leave hitched, unhook umbilical, plug in electric, attach water...usually DO NOT lower hitch and stabilizers. But Steverino has a great suggestion - if you lower the hitch (and/or stabilizers) a "rude" reminder will help avoid an embarrassing and perhaps costly problem. I rely upon my memory but if you are in a hurry in the morning it is easy to forget things.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we stay hooked-up for the night, we unplug, and set stabilizers. We also release the weight distribution and front-to-back balance with the tongue jack.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
About to pickup our 2020 Classic (previously a DP owner). Wondering if folks unhook when camping overnight? Use stabilizers?
I never unhook for an overnight. I never use the stabilizers, but I'm solo, so I don't notice.
First, level side to side using a block. I just bought the Level Mate Pro, so hopefully, I can find the level spot without opening the trailer and using the bubble level.
Next, put a block under the tongue jack, roughly.
Connect power. This takes more time. Put the surge protector in, flip on the circuit breaker. If all reads okay, I flip off the circuit breaker and add the power cord, flip the breaker again.
Sometimes hose, sometime's not.
Enter the trailer and turn on the A/C or heat.
Change the fridge from gas to electric.
Cocktail time.
Use the remote (Husky 5000) to level front to back while sitting at the table.

The pooch always appreciates a long stroll sniffing the grass.

If I arrive at 6 pm and leave at 9 am, I have a hard time justifying a premium campground. Last week a KOA I called wanted $61 for power and water. I declined, found a nice place for $30.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Stick with AZ-Streamer and add put tongue jack down. We used this method with three adults and three small grandchildren on our GA-WA-GA RT last year and it worked famously. We never boondocked, and most CG’s had showers that we took advantage of “Hollywood” showers! Our tanks never complained! Our tongue jack took like 30 seconds to adjust. We leveled on a few one nighters, but with Andersen levelers that added 5 minutes or less to the operation.

You will develop a process that is comfortable and EZ for you. Enjoy experimenting with various recommendations.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
It depends. If level and leaving early, I just unhook the weight distribution. It also depends on if I need fuel and how easy it is to fuel up with the Airstream in tow. It’s always easier to get fuel without the AS.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Normally if it's an overnight stop, we are in a parking lot of some sort. This year, we did this at least 30 times. The stop might be a Harvest Host or it might be something else. That tends to mean a level site / no power / no water / no chairs. The rig tows darn near level so no need to correct unless there is a site issue.

Things like jacks and stabilizers may have an effect ( = leave divots ) on a parking lot. Since we are getting the space for free "do no damage" seems like a good idea. They also make you look a bit "established" if it's a multi-use site (like Walmart).

Blocks can minimize the divot problem. That's one more thing to pull out / put away / forget on the back of the truck (done that ). Less is more in this case. Doubly so if doing all this cuts into beer time at the end of the day .... burp ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
Thanks everyone. A lot of helpful suggestions.

Cheers,
Mick
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I also own a Classic. For an over night at Walmart, Cabalas or where ever I park level or down hill in to space. I park across 5 or 6 spaces so that I’m out of the traffic aisle. At the far ends of the lots. I use the tongue jack to get level and put the stabilizer down. It only takes a minute with power jacks and stabilizers. The tongue jack will lift the truck a little bit and that’s fine. No need to unhook anything.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #19
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
I made a yellow index card with my departure checklist and tape it to the steering wheel right in front of my nose. Then if I am still hooked up I at least am reminded to do a walk around before taking off. I stuff it in a dashboard cubby during the day. I, too sometimes just unplug the power and go in the trailer for the night
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Newer Trucks

My 2019 F-250 has a mind of its own- Stopped in to my dealer and yep! No more fuse/relay for the umbilical to the trailer, the ECM now decides if the trailer batteries get charged OR NOT. I can start the truck and check inside the Airstream and only once in a blue moon do I see 14 volts or more reading at the battery meter. Asked my dealer he said the truck now takes care of it’s own batterys as a priority and if the truck battery is up then it may charge the trailer. Also after being turned off and x amount of time the truck will go to low power mode and disconnect electrical drain. Our Ford Phone app usually notifies me if it’s doing that. It’s not the good ole days anymore and yet the technology may save you from a no start. Bottom line is they do not want vehicles left idling anymore especially a 6.7 Diesel. So no more running the truck at idle to charge a battery in the trailer anymore.

So I do not unhook the trailer plug for an overnight. I do carry an emergency jump pack just in case. Never drop the levelers for an overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
For an overnight stop on a longer trip we will
1-be sure to unplug umbilical (or risk draining truck battery)
2-keep hitched
3-plug in electric if available
4-attach water if available
5-dump in the morning before leaving

We also prefer to gas up the truck when arriving at night. Then we can just hit the road in the morning.

Oh, and we always use wheel chocks, even if hitched.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote