Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
The Law of Uninitended Consequences

We were camped in NW Pennsylvania in June and it rained. 9 out of 11 days. We wanted to at least sit out under the awning and enjoy it but the awning fabric leaked so badly there wasn't a dry spot to be found.
Thanks to this forum I found 303 Fabric Restorer and a week later in Maine, all dried out, we treated the awning with it. It took a few applications to hit all the offending areas but we got it done. A light rain here and there proved the treatment effective!

2 weeks later in the middle of the night, awning out, we had a pretty solid rain storm(which I slept through) and in the morning it appeared that my awning had been lowered on one end to allow the water to run off. It had; enough rain collected in my now waterproof canvas to bend the lower support arm to the ground!
Live and learn...
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
We were camped in NW Pennsylvania in June and it rained. 9 out of 11 days. We wanted to at least sit out under the awning and enjoy it but the awning fabric leaked so badly there wasn't a dry spot to be found.
Thanks to this forum I found 303 Fabric Restorer and a week later in Maine, all dried out, we treated the awning with it. It took a few applications to hit all the offending areas but we got it done. A light rain here and there proved the treatment effective!

2 weeks later in the middle of the night, awning out, we had a pretty solid rain storm(which I slept through) and in the morning it appeared that my awning had been lowered on one end to allow the water to run off. It had; enough rain collected in my now waterproof canvas to bend the lower support arm to the ground!
Live and learn...
Glad to see Murphy is alive and well...

Sorry for your support arms, though...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Our biggest fear. We end up bringing in the awning with a breeze. Rain is always a no go, I wish there was a rain sensor on the awning just like the fantastic fan has.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Our biggest fear. We end up bringing in the awning with a breeze. Rain is always a no go, I wish there was a rain sensor on the awning just like the fantastic fan has.
Let's figure that rain sensor out!

We could be rich!
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Our trailer came with one. When it's dark outside, I sense it's time to go to bed. So I go out, roll up the awning, secure it and make sure all gear is put up for the night. You do have to calibrate the sensor periodically. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
Let's figure that rain sensor out!

We could be rich!

I’ve got a few ideas that could make us rich, just need someone to engineer everything for me.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Never leave the awning out if there is a chance of lots of rain or significant wind at night. If a light rain is possible, lower one end of the awning a couple of clicks on one of the support arms. The entry door may scrape the awning a bit in the morning, but you won't bend a support arm.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
There is actually an awning with a wind and rain sensor, but not for TT’s. Just search on the internet.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We always double 'click', 💦 forecast or not.

FWIW...on our Classic I've ceased to deploy the center arm 'support'. I found it promotes a front and rear depression which prevents water from draining.👍
We use it when raining as long as it's not too windy, it is an awning after all.
Not deployed at night or when away.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2652.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	347920  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
See - all the coaches have a sensor. It's the RV DIY model issued with every unit sold. Do not leave home without it. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The Lance trailers with electric awnings have rain sensors.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Robertcross - I've got the same thermometer you have! I bought it at beginning of my road trip this year and stuck it to window in kitchen area. It seems so flimsily made and like it couldn't possible stay stuck to the window but it has! I love being able to glance over and see current temp.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
I've had an automatic sensor for 50 yrs. If I try to hit the sack without putting the awning up it slaps me on the back of the head and sends me back out. Unfortunately you have to marry one. And they can be pricey. Dont tell her I said that.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Lance power awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
The Lance trailers with electric awnings have rain sensors.
My very good friend took delivery of a new 2019 Lance model 1985. He ordered it just the way he wanted it including a power awning. I warned him.

He loves his Lance. It is a very nice rig. However, the only thing he has had a problem with is the power awning. At delivery it did not work. The dealer installed a new control module. First outing it deployed but would not retract when he went to break camp. Another new control module. Two more resets and it still does not operate properly. He is now afraid to use it. Looking at the Lance Owners Forum (I subscribe to that forum also) plenty of folks have problems with there power awnings.

I would never have a power awning.

When you deploy a Zip Dee manual awning always leave one end lower than the other for proper drainage in LIGHT rain. Heavy rain, retract it.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Never leave the awning out if there is a chance of lots of rain or significant wind at night. If a light rain is possible, lower one end of the awning a couple of clicks on one of the support arms. The entry door may scrape the awning a bit in the morning, but you won't bend a support arm.
On our International Signature 23FB, when we tilt down the front end of the awning, the door opens without scraping the support arm. Not so when the rear end is tilted down.

After waking up a couple times to find a large puddle of water accumulating on the awning, I’ve learned to always tilt down one end when leaving the trailer for the day or going to sleep if there’s any probability of precipitation. And if its windy, or the forecast calls for wind, we retract it entirely.

We were at an Airstream Rally in Enderby BC back in May when a sudden hailstorm blew in with little warning. All of us campers had to scramble to retract our awnings and move our furniture inside before it hit. We were very lucky not to have been out on a hike that day.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post

Live and learn...

A month ago I was camping ocean side and forgot to bring in my awning overnight. Rain was pretty heavy by the time I woke up. I looked to see rain had collected in the awning. I tried to slowly lift it to make the water run off. As soon as I did, the arm bent into a U shape. Not good. So I took it off and then spent the next 3 hrs straightening it out using my receiver hitch. Bend a little....check....bend a bit more check. I eventually got it as straight as the other side. Unfortunately the arm was pitted in the spots I used to pry. I didn't have any sandpaper so I used an exacto knife to smooth the bumps. Now my awning is as good as new.....and I won't be leaving it open at night or in the rain or wind anymore.

P.s. When taking arm off remember it's under tension....I still have a lump on one of my fingers LOL. And having a second person or a ladder to hold the awning up when you remove the arm......I ended up using a bungee cord in a tree branch to hold it up.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Just left the International AS rally. ZipDee did a great workshop. A couple of tips from the horse's mouth: The awning is a shade awning, not a rain awning. Regardless of what you do ( 4 at the door, etc. ) to make it work in the rain, it's not designed to be a rain awning. Do not tie it down to keep it up in the rain and wind, it will twist and eventually pull out the rivets after destroying the arms. Using the awning is a good way to keep it working in shape. Silicon to lube.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Interesting...a water resistant 'shade' awning.
That certainly wasn't the way they were marketed to us...must be a recent realization.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttinbutxs View Post
you have to marry one. And they can be pricey.
You'd rather have one that's cheap?
AbuFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttinbutxs View Post
I've had an automatic sensor for 50 yrs. If I try to hit the sack without putting the awning up it slaps me on the back of the head and sends me back out. Unfortunately you have to marry one. And they can be pricey. Dont tell her I said that.
Thanks needed the chuckle!
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote