Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

wide bodies and the law

What is the law on RV trailer width? My understanding is they are only legal on Interstate and roads leading to them. Last I heard, Virginia and Pa had not passed legislation to legalize them. I also read some provences in Canada are hard nosed about width, including the awning, closed of course, in the trailer width and issuing tickets.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wide bodys

I had concerns about the same thing, especially since I shun the interstates for the back roads whenever possible. Fortunately, my International is 8', so I don't have to worry about the limits.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about that. I wish there were more choices in the 8' width for Airstream.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
8' width

Quote:
I wish there were more choices in the 8' width for Airstream.
Like you, I would like to see more 8' widths. I'm sorry that the 28' CCD isn't an 8' width, but better yet, there should be something in the 25' range in the 8' width. I would probably bought an Airstream earlier had there been.

8' width are exportable to Europe where the wide bodys are not. This would help reopen the European market for Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
Nik

1995 21' Sovereign
Underwood , Washington
Unhappy

Another vote for 8'ers. I have a 8' wide 21' Airstream which I would "upgrade" to a 25' Classic that is 8' wide if I could find one. Baja One and many back country roads are just to narrow for a wide body to be towed with out undue stress.

Nik
niknas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
a new perspective

so far in my search for an a/s i have been concerned about length and capacity ie: extended trips and cabin fever, being a large type person.(my friends(friends?) say i do a good job filling a doorway). but i hadnt thought about width. would someone please tell this tenderfoot what a wide body is? are a/s wide bodies because they are 8' 5" in width? I had planned for a trip this spring on the alcan hwy. are the mounties mean out west, or just in the east? I hope you seasoned vets out there will give me the skinny on this....norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Personally the wide body is one reason why I bought my Airstream. To me it is a noticable benefit. As a practice most of the RV industry has been building widebody trailers for quite a few years now.

I think the thing that I hear from most folks who need a little extra space is the bathroom requirement. While it sounds bizarre you might try sitting on the various thrones in the A/S you look at. Sometimes the distance between walls, bathroom sink, and the toilet can be an issue for some folks. I personally know someone who traded his A/S for an SOB due to this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The 8.5' wide-body is the reason I bought an Airstream. Most of the other quality trailers, Holiday Rambler, Sunnybrook, Nash/Artic Fox, etc are only available in an 8' width. Most fivers are also available only in 8' width, so they'll clear the truck cab in a tight turn when mounted over the axle in a long bed truck. The manufacturers make the living quarters bearable with slide-outs. In fact, you can't even get their larger models without a slide.

On the other hand, you won't find many Class A motorhomes that aren't wide-body. Airstream has been making wide-bodies since '96. I've never heard of one (or a wide-body motorhome) getting an overwidth ticket in any state.

From seeing so many failed and leaking slides as an RV tech once upon a time, I didn't want one. nor did I care for the near 1000 lbs they add, or having the inside of the trailer blocked by the retracted slide when trying to use it at a rest stop.

The wide-body allows a real 4-person dinette across from the galley, while still giving plenty of room to pass each other between them.

The wide-body allows a decent sized side bath with large shower across from the wardrobe with a dressing area between that's wide enough for wide-bodied people.

The wide-body allows a wider couch across the front that's long enough to stretch out on, and gives more living room floorspace.

The wide-body allows a longitudinally mounted queen bed with room to walk and pull out drawers on either side.

The wide-body DOES require wider mirrors to see around it. I use McKesh mirrors from Hensley.

The wide-body DOES require a little extra care on narrow backroads. Keeping the curbside tires near the edge stripe usually keeps the entire trailer on your side of the centerline.

The wide-body SOMETIMES requires straddling both lanes in a construction zone with concrete barriers on both sides.

The wide-body TECHNICALLY requires a 6" wider camping site than an 8' wide non-slide trailer, but most sites these days are wide enough for a wide-body motorhome with slide-out.

The pros far outweigh the cons. Just think... if the Bambi were wide-body, it could have a 54" wide full bed and more room to sit sideways at the dinette.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Just my opinion but to me the wide body isn't that much advantage. It's only 5 1/2", but you should try it on for size, the shower, john, ect. As I said, I'm not sure about the law, and that makes me uncomfortable. Intresting point about the increased stress on the unit. I wonder if the frames are any different than the old 8 foot units.
I was at a caravan going to the Statue of Liberty and was sitting with a group of folks who had shorter units who wondered why any couple needed a 34 footer. Thought was they must not get along with each other. It's all up to the user as to what makes them happy. We like our 25 footer, it seems big compaired to our 19 foot B-van. But there's just the two of us and the cat. We spent a month in it last spring, the B-van, going through the southwest.
The couple we bought the Excella from full timed in it. Just two of them though.
Skip J
Old 06-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question Just curious...

I know on the inside 6" makes a big difference in feel between the wide-body & non-wide-body trailers I've visited. But I have to ask, does the 6" really make a big difference in towing on US roads? Aren't most lanes about 12' wide? when you spilt the difference on the tongue it's less than 3" each side...which leaves 21" clearance each side within a lane instead of 24". It just doesn't seem like you would feel the difference much...I guess in feel it's like going from my Volvo to the Yukon...feels bigger, but doesn't really make a huge difference in the way I drive...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You're correct, Shari. 6" really doesn't make any difference on most roads. Let's face it... there are MANY Aistream owners with '96 and later wide-body trailers taking them all over America. You can keep the trailer on your side of the road all the way down to 8' wide lanes because there's at least 6" overhanging the curbside tires.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by skipj
I was at a caravan going to the Statue of Liberty and was sitting with a group of folks who had shorter units who wondered why any couple needed a 34 footer. Thought was they must not get along with each other.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. We're probably one of VERY few couples who has a LaZBoy loveseat recliner in the family room at home, but when it comes to full-timing, the 34' is barely enough.

Quote:
It's all up to the user as to what makes them happy.
Exactly.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by skipj
I was at a caravan going to the Statue of Liberty and was sitting with a group of folks who had shorter units who wondered why any couple needed a 34 footer. Thought was they must not get along with each other. It's all up to the user as to what makes them happy. Skip J
No one NEEDS a 34 foot trailer.

Since my first recollection of camping with my parents in 1959, I have hiked and camped all over the Sierras and Coastal ranges and slept on the ground, slept in a hammock, a tent, and a pickup cab. I've nursed bad sprains and hiked out on bad ankles. I've kept food in trees to keep it away from bears.

I've fought (mostly unsuccessfully) the elements: heat, cold, snow, rain. Been both cold and wet and hot and parched for days at a time.

I've motorcycle tent camped in Yosemite, pulled a 13' Scamp with a CJ-7, done the two week vacation trips with a Bambi and a Safari, three kids and dogs.

Most recently, we had a 325 motorhome that we really enjoyed, but my 'cylinder quotient' was getting way out of hand.

I decided that I've earned my stripes wilderness camping, and that all I want to do now is travel in relative comfort and enjoy the great outdoors on my terms. I want to be dry when it's wet. I want to be warm when it's cold. I want to be cool when it's hot. I want nice, prepared meals without bugs, sand, or ashes in them. I want a cold beverage when I want a cold beverage, and I want to do it all and be able to stretch my legs out. In other words, I've decided I'm not CAMPING any more, I'm merely travelling through comfortably!

THAT's why I have a 34' trailer!

Roger
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If I had the tow vehicle, the bucks and a place to store it, I may have also gone with a 34', ok, maybe a 25' first, but then a 34' Classic. I love that darn trailer!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:45 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And I've found that the best part is that the 34' trailer is really no more of a problem to tow than a 23'. The only concession you have to make is watching the turning radius. Of course, you feel the weight of the 34', but the bonus is that it's much, MUCH easier to back than the short trailers.

Roger
Old 06-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I checked my favorite Towing Law Link.

The maximum width allowed is 8'-6" in every state except: NJ, PN & VA which only allow 8'-0" and HI which allows 9'-0"

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
I vote for a wide bodied Bambi

As RoadKingMoe pointed out, a wide bodied Bambi could have a 54" wide bed rather the 48". The Safari with the identical same bed/bath setup as the Bambi is a wide body and while the width difference of 5.25" does not sound like much, it makes a big difference when it comes to the bed. As for the rest of the Bambi benefiting from a wider body, well that is not as cut and dried. We have the front couch rather than the dinette (our choice) and the sofa in our unit is EXACTLY the same as used in the 34' (we measured). The added width is put into the armrest storage areas. But if I had been given the option of an 8' Bambi or an 8.5' Bambi, the choice would have been a no brainer.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #18
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Just a note ... the new 28' CCD International is a wide body. I think we will see more in the International line.

As for the '34 ... the wife and I are getting pretty close to ordering our new AS .... we figured the '30 would be perfect until we stepped into a friend's '34.

My wife never cared for the lack of storage in the '30 ... and really fell in love with the '34. I'm a little bit leary of towing something that long ... but everyone I talk to who owns one says it isn't a big deal.

So now, we are leaning toward the '34. I should add that we will be full timing for at least 2 years. Also, my tow vehicle will be a F-350 Crew Cab with a Powerstroke.

Can't wait .. we're getting anxious.
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:28 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Danny...

I was apprehensive about the 34'. I can tell you that you need not be! Maurice calmed my fears before I got mine, and hopefully we can calm yours. It's really not a problem.

Roger
Old 06-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: I vote for a wide bodied Bambi

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbw
The added width is put into the armrest storage areas.
There's a full-sized free arm sewing machine and a bunch of accessories in one of our arms. Wife's very happy about that.