Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The Generals gone AWOL 2010

Its time to start the travel thread for 2010*. Dry dock has gone past the target date causing me to miss the shuttle launch (tomorrow morning) and making the Texas Vintage rally problematic. At the moment the options are: 1) rush ongoing repairs and hit the road to get to Conroe TX for the rally, or 2) finish the repairs at a more leisurely pace and then drift south west instead.

Option two may involve visiting several Civil War battlegrounds on the way such as Shiloh, & Vicksburg, and maybe drifting down the Natchez Trace and seeing what Louisiana and Mississippi have to offer in late Feb. Having driven through these areas but never really visiting them, I don't know what I am looking for but I guess that is par for the course. Feel free to chime in if you know.

Either way I expect to spend some time at Padre Island NSS before drifting on to the west.

*if you follow my travel threads, let me know- its more fun to know if people are following along.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Rodney,

I always follow your AWOL travels.

If you come through the Little Rock area on your swing through the South, let me know.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Its time to start the travel thread for 2010*. Dry dock has gone past the target date causing me to miss the shuttle launch (tomorrow morning) and making the Texas Vintage rally problematic. At the moment the options are: 1) rush ongoing repairs and hit the road to get to Conroe TX for the rally, or 2) finish the repairs at a more leisurely pace and then drift south west instead.

Option two may involve visiting several Civil War battlegrounds on the way such as Shiloh, & Vicksburg, and maybe drifting down the Natchez Trace and seeing what Louisiana and Mississippi have to offer in late Feb. Having driven through these areas but never really visiting them, I don't know what I am looking for but I guess that is par for the course. Feel free to chime in if you know.

Either way I expect to spend some time at Padre Island NSS before drifting on to the west.

*if you follow my travel threads, let me know- its more fun to know if people are following along.
Rodney,

I usually follow your threads but have to admit I don't know where your at right now. Are you in Ohio?

It's still early in the year, and there's another shuttle launch the 18th of next month. Maybe you could still make it to Florida before heading west? The last three on the schedule are in May, July, and September.

Carol

Date: March 18 +
Mission: STS-131
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 1:34 p.m. EDT
Description: Space shuttle Discovery will carry a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module filled with science racks that will be transferred to laboratories of the International Space Station

Date: May 14 +
Mission: STS-132
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
Launch Time: 2:28 p.m. EDT
Description: Space shuttle Atlantis mission will carry an integrated cargo carrier to deliver maintenance and assembly hardware, including spare parts for space station systems. In addition, the second in a series of new pressurized components for Russia, a Mini Research Module, will be permanently attached to the bottom port of the Zarya module.

Date: July 29 +
Mission: STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Time: 7:51 a.m. EDT
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver an EXPRESS Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

Date: Sept. 16 +
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Time: 11:57 a.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MLPM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Rodney,

I usually follow your threads but have to admit I don't know where your at right now. Are you in Ohio?

It's still early in the year, and there's another shuttle launch the 18th of next month. Maybe you could still make it to Florida before heading west? The last three on the schedule are in May, July, and September.

Carol
I am in middle Tennessee right now at the family farm visiting family and doing repairs and upgrades on the Trade Wind. Missing the shuttle launch is a HUGE disappointment, waiting to pull out until the end of March would be a tough nut for me though. Still, it is something to think about.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Its time to start the travel thread for 2010*. ......

Let's just hope the MP's aren't reading your AWOL threads, sooner or later all this time over the fence is going to catch up you.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Hey General...
I always foller your annual AWOL threads...
If you decide to meander down the Trace I'm sure you know they have a couple of free no-hookup campgrounds spaced apart for a leisurely journey.

As I've gotten over the 'gotta get there now' bug, I've come to enjoy the slow pace of the Trace...I haven't found a better route for towin a 'stream.

Stop in Jackson/Vicksburg? Lemme know - that's my stomping grounds, we might be able to work out somethin'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Let's just hope the MP's aren't reading your AWOL threads, sooner or later all this time over the fence is going to catch up you.

Jim
Ehhh, its all good. I take the launch codes with me in the same envelope as the axle specifications and I always carry my (Ronald) Raygun with me for safety.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Rodney... Sorry you missed the launch, but you know its best not to rush things and get yourself all fixed up proper before headin' out... I personally wish you were here in AZ right now so we could see you at the Dead Horse Rally next weekend to visit with all your 4CU kindred, but we'll keep a light on for you (an LED light, of course) as you make your way out our way. Travel safe and enjoy the journey...looking forward to seeing you. Say "hey" to your mom from us.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Greetings,

We are great fans of Louisiana and Mississippi. You would find Natchez and Vicksburg well worth a visit, and Louisiana full of history and charm. See our Louisiana Roadtrip Caravan & Rally thread for details.

Are you going to be down there the first week of May? You could join us for part of this trip! Would love to meet you. (I follow your travel threads)

Maggie
Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I am in middle Tennessee right now at the family farm visiting family and doing repairs and upgrades on the Trade Wind. Missing the shuttle launch is a HUGE disappointment, waiting to pull out until the end of March would be a tough nut for me though. Still, it is something to think about.
Unfortunately the shuttle wasn't able to blast off this morning as planned. They've rescheduled for tomorrow.

Between now and mid-March isn't really that long and there's certainly lots to do and see along the way.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Discount Cards- what do ya think?

I was reading the Louisiana Roadtrip Caravan & Rally thread and saw that the French Quarter RV Park gives a 50% discount the first night which is about the price of the card. This got me wondering how many Airstreamers use the card and what their experience with them were. I am also curious about the other cards that might be out there.

I'm not big on RV parks as a rule, but now and then I find myself in them (more so when I have guest) so if they really do save money it might be worth having one along this year.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Greetings,

We are great fans of Louisiana and Mississippi. You would find Natchez and Vicksburg well worth a visit, and Louisiana full of history and charm. See our Louisiana Roadtrip Caravan & Rally thread for details.

Maggie
Thanks for the tip Maggie! Right now I am mulling Natchez Trace to Jackson then over to Vicksburg and down to Natchez. Looking at our caravan thread, the stretch from Baton Rouge to New Orleans looks pretty interesting. I need to investigate that area more.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like the Passport America card for overnight stays, and their annual fee is very reasonable. We have had it for two years and renewed last year for 3 years at a discount. It is a tremendous savings, but some have restrictions as to dates, length of stay, etc., which you have to work around.

The French Quarter RV park is a beautiful, spotless, full-service resort. We got the 50% discount for our first night and then 10% off the second with AAA. Less than $100 for two nights in the French Quarter, which can't be beat. An alternative is Bayou Segnette State Park across the river in Algiers. Requires a drive to the free ferry into the Quarter, but is a very nice, well-maintained park at about $20 a night.

You will LOVE Louisiana.

Maggie
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
....... An alternative is Bayou Segnette State Park across the river in Algiers. Requires a drive to the free ferry into the Quarter, but is a very nice, well-maintained park at about $20 a night.
Maggie
I stayed at the French Quarter park last fall, it was nice and the location was great, but rich for my blood. The state park looks interesting, I wonder how much a cab ride from there to the French Quarter would be, after all, who wants to be all that sober in NO?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Rodney,

We follow your thread and enjoy it. I am with you on the preference to stay out of commercial RV parks, but sometimes when we are making a quick trip somewhere or staying near friends or family we will sometimes stay at one. We tried Passport America and found it to be a good value, but did not have enough time to really use it since we both are working full time. Next year we may consider it again since we are planning on pulling the plug on our jobs and hit the road for a good part of the time.

Right now we are concentrating on selling our home and are purchasing a lot in Georgetown, Texas where we will start out with a large RV Garage and have full hookups for ourselves and for friends who may stop overnight.

Hope to see you again sometime this year. Good luck on your travels.

Dennis & Kate
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, I've been wondering when you'd declare your intention to go AWOL again.

We enjoyed the Vicksburg battlefield, but we have strange tastes in visiting many battlefields across the US and discussing strategy. Also, Clarksdale, somewhat north in the Delta Blues country, has a blues museum and is an interesting town. Nearby is the crossroads where Robert Johnson is said to have sold his soul to the devil. Further north and across the Mississippi is Helena, Ark., and another blues museum, an unusual radio station and a very funky old town. They have blues festival every October that we've said we are going to go to for years, but haven't made it yet.

Never been on the Natchez Trace, so if you go, I'll be interested to hear about it. I understand the low speed limit is much enforced.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Phase One: General Disarrays March to the Sea

The first part of the trip is starting to take form in my mind. Here is the general plan, if anyone has ideas chime in.

Depart dry dock at Gnat Hill in middle TN proceed to Columbia, TN to visit the James K. Polk home and then onward to near the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Once on the NTP, the first stop and overnight will be at the Meriwether Lewis Monument.

Working south, the next visit will be at the Shiloh National Battlefield.

I am still looking to see what kind of things there are to see and do between Tupelo and Jackson on the NTP, right now the working assumption is that there is at least a full day or two of things to do.

Once at Jackson, the route leaves the NTP and jogs west to Vicksburg to see what there is to see there. Then its south to Natchez.

Heading south out of Natchez, the plan is to head south in to LA and check out the plantation country for a day or so before drifting into NO. While in the NO area I want to visit the Battle of New Orleans site south east of town.

Once at the Gulf of Mexico I thought it might be fun to spend a day or two at a state park on the gulf or maybe visit a swap. I will have to see what is available for that. Has anyone had much experience with LA state parks? Which ones along this route are worth staying at?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
AWOL Map experiment

I have started a Google map experiment with potential campsites, historical locations, cultural sights, dump stations, photo opportunities, you name it. I have made the map public for now so anyone can add suggested locations for me to visit. Lets see if this works out. Thanks!

I haven't figured out how to embed the here yet, so for now I will link it Sons of Perdition Traveling Seminar 2010 - Google Maps

Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
General not sure of how far south you really want to go in South Lousiana....but the state park in Grand Isle LA is on the gulf of mexico. It has a nice beach area with facilities and you will take a swamp ride pretty much most of the time to get there. I am from south lousiana my self and only recently moved way north. If you have any questions feel free to ask I am very familiar with pretty much most of south la, and state park camping is pretty much all the camping we did down there. Let me know what kinds of things you may want to do and I could maybe give you a couple of hints along the way.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
General not sure of how far south you really want to go in South Lousiana....but the state park in Grand Isle LA is on the gulf of mexico. It has a nice beach area with facilities and you will take a swamp ride pretty much most of the time to get there. I am from south lousiana my self and only recently moved way north. If you have any questions feel free to ask I am very familiar with pretty much most of south la, and state park camping is pretty much all the camping we did down there. Let me know what kinds of things you may want to do and I could maybe give you a couple of hints along the way.
Oddly enough I was just looking at that park and adding it to the map. I am also looking for other places along the coast (heading west) that are cool to visit and have cheap camping. I tend to favor nature and history spots.