Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I'd like to see a hydrogen powered vehicle - either direct burning or a fuel cell electric powered version. No short supply - separate water into H and O , exhaust is H2O.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Agree with AWCHIEF - when they come up with a TV that will be there for me when I'm climbing Raton pass on I-25 with my Airstream on the hitch I'll start to think about an electric vehicle. Can't be out of electricity climbing up a pass or run out of umph just as I see the top of the pass ....
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Not too often you see a tow vehicle that costs more than a brand new Airstream!

I bet CanAm can set that thing up to tow my Classic!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Recharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
Agree with AWCHIEF - when they come up with a TV that will be there for me when I'm climbing Raton pass on I-25 with my Airstream on the hitch I'll start to think about an electric vehicle. Can't be out of electricity climbing up a pass or run out of umph just as I see the top of the pass ....
Yeah, but it will recharge on the way back down!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
For those that can't afford a $130k to $150k electric car.

Kelvin

Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
You've never, ever compromised your lofty standards to do the right thing? Glad I don't live in your world.

Lofty standards? Actually I have fairly low standards as far as expecting personal opinions to be excepted here without being insulted or having them dismised out of hand.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin

That's kewl.. Just load the underbelly of the AS with Tesla packs!!! Plenty of range and instant floor heaters!!!!

Not really kidding..... There are great opportunities in the field... I prefer the mini "fuel cell" to the higher pollution battery build and recycle process!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:

Kelvin

That's kewl.. Just load the underbelly of the AS with Tesla packs!!! Plenty of range and instant floor heaters!!!!

Not really kidding..... There are great opportunities in the field... I prefer the mini "fuel cell" to the higher pollution battery build and recycle process!

It is a "brave new world" we can embrace, it just needs to be reasonable for the average homosapien. Oh, that probably won't work...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
When someone comes out with a fully electric vehicle that is reasonably priced, can carry extra camp equipment in the back, safely tow 6000 pounds, get an honest 500 miles between charges and can be quickly recharged at a campground power post I will consider it as a possible option. Until then they are nothing but expensive feel good toys.
I'd settle for a "safer" alternative to the VW microbus camper that could travel 200 miles between charges. Of course, with all the "safety" equipment and options viewed as absolute necessities today it would weigh twice as much and cost 10 times as much and no way we'd put up with the low HP engines of the past. However, it would get me from point a-b every day of traveling or commuting with time in between to "see more and do more" between charges. Or, alternatively we could shave weight off today's travel trailer offerings. Think pre-1971 weights or better. Do we really NEED a 6000lb++ trailer and more camping equipment in the back?
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
There seems to be a lot of misinformation being disseminated in this thread. As a Tesla Model S owner, I'd like to set a few things straight.

First, let's put to bed the misinformation that an EV is just as polluting as an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle. It's not. In the state of Kentucky, which gets 93% of its power from burning coal, the Model S generates close to HALF the emissions of a comparable ICE vehicle.

It's a pure myth that EVs are remotely close to being as polluting as ICE vehicles when the vast majority of power is generated from fossil fuels. Another aspect that most people don't consider is this: As the grid gets cleaner and more electricity is generated using sustainable methods, all EVs relying on that power instantly become cleaner. ICE vehicles continue to pollute at the same, increased levels for the entire life of the vehicle. That's a MAJOR advantage to EVs.

Another aspect of owning an EV that is not appreciated by non-EV owners is that the car is always "full" every morning. There is no need to take any time out of your day to charge over 95% of the time you use this car because it charges when you aren't using it and delivers full range when you do. Imagine if your gasoline cars refilled themselves overnight while you were sleeping - wouldn't that be a game changer?

Regarding range, my car has a 250 mile range. Over 80% of Americans drive fewer than 60 miles per day. My longest days can often be 100-120 miles of appointments from one end of the valley to the other. I have no range issues. I drove to San Diego recently from Phoenix, no issues whatsoever - I spent 30 minutes charging along the way and plugged-in when I reached my destination. I also completed a 1,400 mile road trip almost a year ago, and I used Tesla's Superchargers the whole way.

Tesla now has over 300 Superchargers in the US alone. Tesla's Superchargers charge at an incredible rate of 120,000 watts (120 kW). This gives the Model S a 150 mile charge in only 20 minutes. Most people, when driving long distances, will take a break after driving 3-4 hours. The car's range and Supercharger network are designed with this in mind. The Superchargers are spaced out approximately every 100-150 miles. Drive 3-4 hours, then recharge while you take a potty break, stretch your legs, and grab a sandwich. Boom, your car is charged and ready to go before you've even finished.

The Model S can charge at 40A using any NEMA 14-50 RV outlet, and many Model S owners utilize RV outlets in areas where there are no other options.

Someone upthread mentioned that manufacturers need to solve battery heat issues, but there are no such issues. Tesla's batteries are thermally managed and liquid-cooled, so they are always maintained at an optimal temperature. After over 2 years and over 32,000 miles, my car's battery has degraded by a mere 1.5%. That's two years in Arizona heat where summers peak at close to 120ºF. The brilliance of Tesla's design is a unique, proprietary Li-Ion chemistry combined with active thermal management.

EVs are not for everyone. Even though the new Model X can tow 5,000 lbs and can probably swing an Airstream, the aerodynamics and additional load will likely result in a reduction to the 257 mile quoted EPA range. The Model X was unveiled last night and is not expected to start volume production until the end of this year or early next year, so there are still many unknowns with regard to its towing capacity and what impact that will have on its range numbers.

EVs are definitely the future. What few obstacles remain in the path of general adoption - price, range, and charging ubiquity - are being tackled. Tesla's Model 3, which is expected to be produced in sedan and SUV variants, will start at $35,000 and will be unveiled in March of 2016, to be manufactured the following year. All Tesla EVs qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit in addition to state tax credits ($2,500 in CA, for example). This is cash back in your pocket because a tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your tax obligation - unlike a tax deduction.

I can say that a Model S makes a fantastic daily driver and completely replaces the need for a gasoline car. Prices are going to fall dramatically with Model 3, and range is expected to improve on the order of about 5% annually. There is no need for a 500 mile battery when most people drive less than 1/4 of that on a daily basis. You don't need to carry around a 1,500 lb battery pack when you only use a fraction of that capacity on a regular basis. The solution to long distance travel/road trips is the Supercharger network. More and more charge points are being added every day. Every one of the 300 Supercharger locations has an average of 8 stalls. They are located along major freeways and routes, and are co-located near food, shopping, and other places of interest.

Driving an EV is a truly fun experience. The motor is silent, all you hear is the air rushing around your vehicle. The instant torque and unreal acceleration is a major safety advantage, and the Model S is the safest car on the planet. In fact, it broke one of the NHTSA testing machines when it refused to roll over. Model X is rated as the safest SUV ever produced. Side impact intrusion into the cabin is HALF that of the next safest SUV - the Audi Q5.

The bottom line is that our current way of burning fossil fuels unabated is not sustainable. Tesla is acting as a forcing function to push the industry towards a sustainable transportation model. EVs are sustainable. The aluminum from which Model S is made is highly recyclable. Tesla Model S outsells the flagship models from Mercedes, Audi, BMW, on an annual basis. Most Model S owners didn't buy the car because of its environmental cred, they bought it because it was the most fun to drive. Ultimately, Tesla will succeed because it is making a car that is desirable on so many other levels - power, acceleration, space/storage, low maintenance, and brand prestige.

Did I mention that I never have to change oil, lubricate anything, or deal with any engine issues? The electric motor is about the size of a watermelon and sits on the rear axle beneath the rear seats on the RWD models. The AWD models have an additional motor up front. These are electric motors with reliability ratings that exceed 500,000 miles.

Regarding EVs being for "elites", which is something I hear every once in a while... what a bunch of nonsense. Tesla's business model is to make high priced cars with high profit margin to help finance the "mass market" Model 3 that will sell for under $40,000. That is Tesla's entire reason for being, and why they are building a $5 billion battery gigafactory in Nevada. They want to bring costs down to where orders of magnitude more people can afford them. Thanks to the deep pockets of early adopters, Tesla is able to scale and bring down costs over time to where their cars will be afforded by many. It's not about being elite, it's about Tesla knowing who to target in order to finance its long term survival and to be able to get to the Model 3 mass-market car. That's been their goal since the Roadster.

I encourage everyone, even the skeptics, to take a fun test drive in a Model S. You don't have to buy one, you don't even need to be in the financial position to buy one in order to experience this technology. Within a couple of years, this experience will be available to those who make much more average incomes. This technology offers tremendous benefits and it deserves our support.
AmpedRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #31
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Tax payer subsidized Tesla and they loose money on every car they sell. They can't make it on their own. Only the wealthy can afford to purchase just to add another car to their collection of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and only if they are lucky enough to get their name on a list.

The bigger news would be if Tesla came up with a commuter car that could compete in price with average cars and wasn't tax payer funded.

Kelvin
If we are going to put R&D subsidies on one side of the ledger, for new technologies, we should consider current government subsidies on the other side of the ledger, for current technologies.

The IMF this year estimated global fossil fuel subsidies at $5.3 trillion, not counting exploration and production tax incentives. The US portion of that was $699 billion.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpedRealtor View Post
There seems to be a lot of misinformation being disseminated in this thread. As a Tesla Model S owner, I'd like to set a few things straight.

First, let's put to bed the misinformation that an EV is just as polluting as an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle. It's not. In the state of Kentucky, which gets 93% of its power from burning coal, the Model S generates close to HALF the emissions of a comparable ICE vehicle.

It's a pure myth that EVs are remotely close to being as polluting as ICE vehicles when the vast majority of power is generated from fossil fuels. Another aspect that most people don't consider is this: As the grid gets cleaner and more electricity is generated using sustainable methods, all EVs relying on that power instantly become cleaner. ICE vehicles continue to pollute at the same, increased levels for the entire life of the vehicle. That's a MAJOR advantage to EVs.

Another aspect of owning an EV that is not appreciated by non-EV owners is that the car is always "full" every morning. There is no need to take any time out of your day to charge over 95% of the time you use this car because it charges when you aren't using it and delivers full range when you do. Imagine if your gasoline cars refilled themselves overnight while you were sleeping - wouldn't that be a game changer?

Regarding range, my car has a 250 mile range. Over 80% of Americans drive fewer than 60 miles per day. My longest days can often be 100-120 miles of appointments from one end of the valley to the other. I have no range issues. I drove to San Diego recently from Phoenix, no issues whatsoever - I spent 30 minutes charging along the way and plugged-in when I reached my destination. I also completed a 1,400 mile road trip almost a year ago, and I used Tesla's Superchargers the whole way.

Tesla now has over 300 Superchargers in the US alone. Tesla's Superchargers charge at an incredible rate of 120,000 watts (120 kW). This gives the Model S a 150 mile charge in only 20 minutes. Most people, when driving long distances, will take a break after driving 3-4 hours. The car's range and Supercharger network are designed with this in mind. The Superchargers are spaced out approximately every 100-150 miles. Drive 3-4 hours, then recharge while you take a potty break, stretch your legs, and grab a sandwich. Boom, your car is charged and ready to go before you've even finished.

The Model S can charge at 40A using any NEMA 14-50 RV outlet, and many Model S owners utilize RV outlets in areas where there are no other options.

Someone upthread mentioned that manufacturers need to solve battery heat issues, but there are no such issues. Tesla's batteries are thermally managed and liquid-cooled, so they are always maintained at an optimal temperature. After over 2 years and over 32,000 miles, my car's battery has degraded by a mere 1.5%. That's two years in Arizona heat where summers peak at close to 120ºF. The brilliance of Tesla's design is a unique, proprietary Li-Ion chemistry combined with active thermal management.

EVs are not for everyone. Even though the new Model X can tow 5,000 lbs and can probably swing an Airstream, the aerodynamics and additional load will likely result in a reduction to the 257 mile quoted EPA range. The Model X was unveiled last night and is not expected to start volume production until the end of this year or early next year, so there are still many unknowns with regard to its towing capacity and what impact that will have on its range numbers.

EVs are definitely the future. What few obstacles remain in the path of general adoption - price, range, and charging ubiquity - are being tackled. Tesla's Model 3, which is expected to be produced in sedan and SUV variants, will start at $35,000 and will be unveiled in March of 2016, to be manufactured the following year. All Tesla EVs qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit in addition to state tax credits ($2,500 in CA, for example). This is cash back in your pocket because a tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your tax obligation - unlike a tax deduction.

I can say that a Model S makes a fantastic daily driver and completely replaces the need for a gasoline car. Prices are going to fall dramatically with Model 3, and range is expected to improve on the order of about 5% annually. There is no need for a 500 mile battery when most people drive less than 1/4 of that on a daily basis. You don't need to carry around a 1,500 lb battery pack when you only use a fraction of that capacity on a regular basis. The solution to long distance travel/road trips is the Supercharger network. More and more charge points are being added every day. Every one of the 300 Supercharger locations has an average of 8 stalls. They are located along major freeways and routes, and are co-located near food, shopping, and other places of interest.

Driving an EV is a truly fun experience. The motor is silent, all you hear is the air rushing around your vehicle. The instant torque and unreal acceleration is a major safety advantage, and the Model S is the safest car on the planet. In fact, it broke one of the NHTSA testing machines when it refused to roll over. Model X is rated as the safest SUV ever produced. Side impact intrusion into the cabin is HALF that of the next safest SUV - the Audi Q5.

The bottom line is that our current way of burning fossil fuels unabated is not sustainable. Tesla is acting as a forcing function to push the industry towards a sustainable transportation model. EVs are sustainable. The aluminum from which Model S is made is highly recyclable. Tesla Model S outsells the flagship models from Mercedes, Audi, BMW, on an annual basis. Most Model S owners didn't buy the car because of its environmental cred, they bought it because it was the most fun to drive. Ultimately, Tesla will succeed because it is making a car that is desirable on so many other levels - power, acceleration, space/storage, low maintenance, and brand prestige.

Did I mention that I never have to change oil, lubricate anything, or deal with any engine issues? The electric motor is about the size of a watermelon and sits on the rear axle beneath the rear seats on the RWD models. The AWD models have an additional motor up front. These are electric motors with reliability ratings that exceed 500,000 miles.

Regarding EVs being for "elites", which is something I hear every once in a while... what a bunch of nonsense. Tesla's business model is to make high priced cars with high profit margin to help finance the "mass market" Model 3 that will sell for under $40,000. That is Tesla's entire reason for being, and why they are building a $5 billion battery gigafactory in Nevada. They want to bring costs down to where orders of magnitude more people can afford them. Thanks to the deep pockets of early adopters, Tesla is able to scale and bring down costs over time to where their cars will be afforded by many. It's not about being elite, it's about Tesla knowing who to target in order to finance its long term survival and to be able to get to the Model 3 mass-market car. That's been their goal since the Roadster.

I encourage everyone, even the skeptics, to take a fun test drive in a Model S. You don't have to buy one, you don't even need to be in the financial position to buy one in order to experience this technology. Within a couple of years, this experience will be available to those who make much more average incomes. This technology offers tremendous benefits and it deserves our support.

I can't afford an "under $40,000" car-
The Tesla is a great idea and a great car for those who can afford them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #33
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
The bottom line is that our current way of burning fossil fuels unabated is not sustainable. Tesla is acting as a forcing function to push the industry towards a sustainable transportation model. EVs are sustainable.
This.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Tesla Motors New Model X.

Okay ...
but has there ever been a study comparing the various "traditional" ways to make electricity vs the energy and possible polution of making PV panels over the lifespan of the panel?
If indeed PV won with ALL things considered, THAT would be something.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Lofty standards? Actually I have fairly low standards as far as expecting personal opinions to be excepted here without being insulted or having them dismised out of hand.
AWCHIEF,
Sorry for that. I should have kept it less personal. Mea Culpa.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In defense of Engineering

Anyone who has spent much time at Jackson Center has probably made a side trip to the Bicycle Museum. If you look at the evolution of bicycle design - and the "whimsy/stupidity" of high wheelers, you have to realize that new product designs are now much less random than they used to be. "New and Improved" happens in years instead of decades.

Check your bag phone at the door.

We're getting there.

Paula
Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
They probably ARE super-fast chargers. But that doesn't mean the drivers are considerate enough to leave the store to go back outside and unplug and move the car when the charging is complete. Just as easy for them to leave the car plugged in until they're done shopping regardless of how little time it takes to charge the cars.

Actually the drivers were sitting in the cars waiting the whole time.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Question

Where's my shipstone when I need it!? That would solve everything.
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We love Tesla.

Hi, my wife and I love Tesla's, and would love to own one. They are well built and we don't have to deal with %#@*&% at the gas station. Of course we still have to have a tow vehicle for our Airstream, but this would be for convenience driving. What we don't like is the very low slung cars like the S model because we gave up on owning Thunderbirds because they are too hard for old people like us to get in and out of. We have been waiting for this SUV model to come out. Will it someday replace my wife's BMW X-3???? Maybe! Would we buy it to save on gas money? No! Would you have more gas money if you bought an SOB instead of an Airstream?

Did you know that the Chevy Volt lost more than $50,000.00 per unit sold at first and is most likely still losing money. Think of it as buying a $96,000.00 car for $46,000.00; What a bargain.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Quote:

Awesome write up amped realtor. I live in CA, and drive a plug-in hybrid (Ford C-Max Energi) which I prefer to drive in all electric mode dropping off my son and then on to work where I plug in for two hours to make the return trip. It's 1/3 the cost of running in hybrid mode. Great technology and performance plus smug factor, but in CA the big bonus is the "sticker" that lets you drive in the HOV lanes. That was the kicker for me a year ago.

A couple of good points, but what seems to limit EVs is infrastructure since it takes enormous current to charge an EV quickly. It takes 6.5 kWhrs to drive the 25 miles to work. But lots of people never camp outside campgrounds without full hookups so one an see a use case that can work with EV+Airstream.

Your mileage may vary of course but the EV is meeting many people's needs, and it could also for Airstreams. Gotta keep an open mind. Now if you want to create a S-storm, start talking about Thorium fuled nuclear plants, a potential holy grail for our future...
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote