Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Carry a Gun, Mister~~
Own and carry a gun while traveling 55 56.70%
Do not carry a gun 22 22.68%
Thinking about carrying a gun 9 9.28%
No one should be allowed to carry a gun 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #241
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
6 lb Pomeranian protection.
That's a "snub nosed" weapon isn't it?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #242
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I read a post from a few years ago on here that said a 12 gauge shot gun is NOT a good defense weapon. The guy who wrote it may never read this but...let me tell ya...I am a Viet Nam Vet. I carried a Ithica 12 gauge pump w/a 16 inch barrel...000 buck shot. Means thou salt not miss at close range. Like from my bed to the camper door. Mr Smith and Mr Wesson travel with me also in 44 Mag. and 38 special.

On to more realistic things...for any who have not done a lot shooting and want firearm protection. GO TO A CLASS.

For those of you who thinks its easy to pull the trigger when someone is in front of you even when the circumstances indicate its you or THEM. Most people will get scarred then panic and THINK...its too late if you think.....I was scared too...but repeditiveness (VietNam) and training do wonders for your abilities to make quick decisions. HE WHO HESITATES LOOSES ...Thankfully most of us will never have to use our weapons in anger. I wear my weapons out practicing ....because I like to shoot. Have hunted since I was a kid of 10 and of course I got real good with an M-16 in Viet Nam. I would mention the 45 acp. I carried...but it was best used as a paper wieight. I would knock down a water buffalo at 10 feet...at 11 feet...YOU will miss ....lol..but thats another story.

Weapons can bring lots of enjoyment and a power of security if used with the correct training.

One other thing that I read about in here. Most seem to lock their weapons in a box in a cupboard in the trailer?? or somewhere out of sight. If your weapon is locked up...out of arms reach..might as well leave it home. YOU will only need it...if you ever need it....in an instand...you will not have time to GO for you weapon. Its eather at arms lenght or..useless.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
I got me a Rhodesian Ridgeback - African lion hunter - 4 legs, 2 rows of razor teeth, a whip like tail and a tongue that will lick you to death be it friend or foe, so beware.... you've been warned.
No match for laser eyes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser eyes.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	31052

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Packing a Gun Mister

I've had a concealed weapons permit for over thirty years from the State of Virginia.
A couple of years ago I got a Non-resident permit from Florida.
I've pulled various weapons from their holster 3 times.
Once to protect a Norfolk Policeman from a shoplifters friends,
once to protect my wife and three daughters,
once to stop two thugs from kicking a fellow they had on the ground in the face.
I have yet to discharge a firearm at a person and never fired a "warning" shot.
The first was a 38 Smith and Wesson Snub nose.
The second was a .380.
The third was a 1911A1 45 auto.
I have seen in various articles that it dosent matter what caliber of gun you have but that you have one.
Most encounters are within 10 feet. (This has proven to be true in 2 of my three encounters.)
My experiences have found this to be true.
OO Buck will probally go through a trailer or two.
A .50 Smith and Wesson with semi-wadd cutter will probally go through the wall of your Airstream and completly through 4 to 7 others.
A .45 ball will probally go through as least 4.
A .380 ball will probally exit your trailer and maybe through another.
Think folks, these cannons have the capability of hurting a lot of innocent people.
Think about using high performance projectiles such as Mag Safe or Glasser. They fragment at first contact.
They probally will not exit your trailer but will incapacitate who ever gets shot due to the nature of the projectile.
I understand the Air Marshalls use this type of ammunition to prevent piercing the outer skin of airliners (close to the outer skin of our units) to prevent explosive decompression that would be caused by bullet hole.
Ok we have things.
The idea is that the thug won't know who is armed and who isn't.
Thats the deterrent.
And Oh by the way, the NRA's big quest is that the second admendment gave us the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS,
not some bureaucrats idea of who should bear arms and who shouldn't.
A lot of very good men have died for this right over the centuries.
It dosent mean every one should bear arms, that is a personal decision and it should remain that way.
It also dosen't mean that you have the right be stupid but some people have that idea.

I've said enought.
Please excuse the spelling.
Beginner
Old 02-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Very good information. My wife, myself, and my 13 year old son are going through the Concealed Carry Course on March 25th. Why, because we live in New Orleans. My son of course is too young to receive a permit but he will know what I am thinking. I also believe the only way to keep my son safe from other kids with guns is to train him to properly handle a weapon. The wife is taking the course for safety reasons and as a backup.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #246

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Each of us carries a concealed weapon. We both carry Glock Model 26 9mm's. We are both retired US Customs Special Agents, and as such, we are authorized to carry concealed weapons in all states. We are fully trained vastly experienced in the use of firearms. We would incourage each of you who choose to carry a firearm while Airstreaming to become fully versed in its safety and use.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Time To Chime In... Sorry

Good Thread.

A FEW CLARIFICATIONS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The
bill of rights, the second amendment, the constitution, the declaration, conceal & carry permits, preambles; none of these GRANT us the right to bear arms. We are ALL born with the right. The second amendment and other corresponding documents simply RECOGNIZE AND REINFORCE that right.

The people who answered "No one should be allowed to carry a gun" in the poll have either never read the bill of rights, the second amendment, the constitution, the declaration, any preambles, the federalist papers, ect., or have some sort of agenda or both. Maybe this is an IMHO, but I don't think so.

Hunting, self protection, crime prevention are good ancillary uses for firearms, but are not guaranteed by the second amendment.

Gosh, did actually COMMENT on something? I must be tired! Just don't ask me about name changes or SOB Mohos.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #248
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
I have seen in various articles that it dosent matter what caliber of gun you have but that you have one.
Most encounters are within 10 feet. (This has proven to be true in 2 of my three encounters.)
My experiences have found this to be true..
Beginner
I use two weapons, a S&W .22cal revolver loaded with 2 high speeds for the chest then 1 bird shot for the face then three more high speeds for the body or head and/or A single Bbl .410 shotgun for the face or chest. These will do the work at 10 feet. Bird shot in the face is a great deterent. This is a serious business and requires serious thinking. Don't bother carrying a piece if you don't intend to or don't have the mind to use it. Train your mind. "The mistakes you make in training you most assuridly will make in combat"
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #249
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Good Thread.

The
bill of rights, the second amendment, the constitution, the declaration, conceal & carry permits, preambles; none of these GRANT us the right to bear arms. We are ALL born with the right. The second amendment and other corresponding documents simply RECOGNIZE AND REINFORCE that right.

The people who answered "No one should be allowed to carry a gun" in the poll have either never read the bill of rights, the second amendment, the constitution, the declaration, any preambles, the federalist papers, ect., or have some sort of agenda or both. Maybe this is an IMHO, but I don't think so.
No corrections needed here, my friend, well spoken...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #250
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Yes

Didn't vote in the poll, but I agree!

I've had a CWP for a number of years, shoot on a regular basis and carry a firearm with me just about everywhere I travel. I have never had to use it, but am fully prepared, both mentally and physically to do so if needed.

That said, I also carry an alternative.......15% capsicum spray (MACE). This is stronger than the police version and I ALWAYS have a small container within arms reach. Given the possibility of a potantial non-lethal but dangerous situation, I would use this in a heartbeat and let me tell you, this stuff will disable a bear (that's what it's made for). I had a container with me in the armed position and it fell to the floor and emitted just a tiny blip of the stuff, but it was enough to send me rushing out of the trailer caughing and wheezing with eyes tearing. AND IT DIDN"T EVEN HIT ME!!!!!

Just something else to think about..................
Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #251
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Good Thread.

The
bill of rights, the second amendment, the constitution, the declaration, conceal & carry permits, preambles; none of these GRANT us the right to bear arms. We are ALL born with the right.
Ok, for the sake of argument, you're wrong.

You're born with nothing that your government doesn't allow. Fortunately, we had some forward thinking founding fathers, and for the past couple of hundred years, we've mostly been aligned in our thinking in this country. King George and our founding fathers recognized that rights are given by government. We are no longer "mostly" aligned in our thinking as a people in our country, and it's why things are changing. The common "American Experience" is not common among the people any longer. Manifest Destiny is gone.

In other countries in the world, YOU are still responsible for your own welfare and the welfare of your family and community. In our country, folks no longer want to be responsible for their own welfare and want someone else to take care of them. Unfortunately that's not possible, but we've created the illusion that it is.

But, were any of the "rights" in the Bill of Rights "God given", there never would have been slavery, the 14th and 19th amendments would never have been necessary, and in fact, the Declaration of Independence would never have needed to be written and signed.

You, and each of us lives at the whim of our neighbors who make up our government. When you ask them to take care of you instead of taking care of yourself, you have given up your "rights" no matter how feeble they may have been at the outset.

Roger
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #252
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
...That said, I also carry an alternative.......15% capsicum spray (MACE). This is stronger than the police version and I ALWAYS have a small container within arms reach.
Just for clarification, a 5% oil based formulation OC is equal to a 10% water based formulation OC. When dealing with percentages of pepper in the solution, you have to ask yourself 5% or 10% of what? What is hotter, a 5% jalepeno in the solution or 5% habenaro in the solution? Some manufacturers try to fool the public with their 5%, 10%, 15%, 18% and even 21% of peppers in the solution. Scoville Heat Units are in the same category in my opinion. SHU ratings from 250,000 to 5.4 million explain how hot the solution can be but they are not exact. To get a real look at how hot the OC is, look for the Capsacinoid Concentration which is measured by scientific equipment and can be from .1 to as much as 3.0. I've seen some OC cans at gun shows rated 5% with a capsacinoid concentration of .198 while Sabre Red advertises 1.1 %. Do not confuse the capsacinoid concentration with the percentage of pepper in the solution.

I've been a chemical agent instructor for a state agency for 20 years and the hottest stuff I have been sprayed with is Freeze Plus P which is a 1% OC and 1% CS blend. I've also been sprayed with a 1%/1% Mace Security International stream, a 5% Defense Technologies OC stream and a 10% OC stream. None of those were as bad as the Freeze Plus P which is an oil based formulation. Recently a fellow instructor was sprayed with Sabre Red and he said it put him down like no other agent has. I haven't taken a hit from it yet but am tempted.

Be aware, not all individuals are affected by OC or OC/CS. If they are goal oriented to hurt you, they can work through the spray. The more I have been sprayed as a condition of my certifications, the more I have learned to work through the spray. Keep this in mind after you have sprayed, you might need the frying pan as a backup.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #253
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Firearm lock down

One of the things I am hopefully going to have installed by the end of summer is a light hard case that is tacked (out of sight) down and quad locked. Also a safe box for the camera and lenses. I like to hunt the deadly clay pidgeons and there are some places where being armed can be appropriate. Bown bears and certain large kitties tend to put me on edge. I have yet to need to even issue a warning shot but I do feel much safer when hiking in some areas if armed. Since I do like to bird hunt (not to mention my dogs seem to have a passion for the same--amazing isn't it!) and I use the AS for an occaisional hunt it seemes appropriate to build in a hard case and maybe a wrap chain. It will be tougher to get a fire arm out of that set up than it would be to get a gun from the trunk of a car.

I wish AS had some options for security of firearms, cameras and other ghigh value items. As it is much of that can be custom cobbled. Building the safe's keeps us off the streets!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #254
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
I have a CWP, and alowed to carry in several states. If you go to Packing.org Concealed Carry (CCW), Concealed Weapon Permit, Concealed Weapon Law : Home , or National Rifle Association - NRA Website Gateway , you might find out more information that may help you. We are allowed to keep firearms in our homes. If you not a convicted fellon. Your trailer, if not your primary residence is consider a second home. I have had to use my weapon for self defense with a robber in Ca. at our previous residence. I also had to scare off three others while they where trying to get a motorcycle of my trailer, while going through Texas. A very important thing about storing is keeping them well hid from others, especially kids. I like mine easy to get to, and ready to fire.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #255
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Be aware, not all individuals are affected by OC or OC/CS. If they are goal oriented to hurt you, they can work through the spray. The more I have been sprayed as a condition of my certifications, the more I have learned to work through the spray. Keep this in mind after you have sprayed, you might need the frying pan as a backup.
I am one of those folks. OC is annoying, and burns a little, but it's not going to stop me and frankly you'll need more than a frying pan to stop me once you've sprayed me!

Roger
Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #256
2 Rivet Member

carry a pitbull.I think that would deter a person more than an unseen gun. Besides dog bites are easier to explain than bullet holes in a person
Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #257
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by geirws
carry a pitbull.I think that would deter a person more than an unseen gun. Besides dog bites are easier to explain than bullet holes in a person
Good thought Irwin, a Pit Bull should give me time to get my gun..then I might be alive to explain the bullet holes in the aggressor, rather than the coroner trying to figure out how I died.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #258
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71

I've been a chemical agent instructor for a state agency for 20 years and the hottest stuff I have been sprayed with is Freeze Plus P... Recently a fellow instructor was sprayed with Sabre Red and he said it put him down like no other agent has. I haven't taken a hit from it yet but am tempted.
A little sado-masochism?

The voices in my head may not be real, but sometimes they have good ideas! or in this case maybe not
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
Old 02-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #259
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Craig......

Thanks for the chemistry lesson. I now have a base from which to look at other pepper sprays.

But the Browning HI-Power is always ready ............................................
Old 02-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by geirws
I sure wouldn't want to get hit by his load when he ejects it.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Closed Thread