Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Motor Home Gun Laws

I have a SC Concealed Weapons Permit which authorizes me to carry a weapon anywhere in the state. The Attorney General here has ruled that a Motor Home is a "residence" and the laws applying to having as weapon in a residence applies.
Is there a digest available regarding carrying weapons in Motor Homes in other states, or a publication listing the gun laws in the various states for Motor Homes.
I carry a 38 Pistol in my motor home, along with MACE legally in the State of SC - but I would like to know what the laws are in other states where I travel. I do know that you may NOT carry a weapon of any kind into Canada. Anybody have additional information on this Motor Home wrinkle.?
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 03:28 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Canada don't kid around

My wife and I went into Canada at Detroit in a rented compact car several years ago, on the way to Niagara, long befroe 9/11. I was pushing 70, she was pushing 60 and I don't think we looked very much like desperados.

Everything was fine till the border agent found out I was from Austin,Texas. Next question:
"Do you own any guns?"
"Yes, I ..."
interrupting "Do you have any with you?"
"No"
"Pull over into the shed and open the trunk and glove compartment" Which I did.
"Stand over there by that post."
At which time the car and our luggage including my wife's makeup was gone through including checking under the seats with a flashlight.

I do have a Winchester '73 and a Colt Frontier handed down through the family, a 22 rifle and a 410 shotgun from when I had a small ranch. I haven't carried or fired a firearm for many years. I never carry them on trips and I know guns aren't allowed in Canada.

Coming back, the US agent simply asked if we were US citizens. "Yes." "Have a good day." "Thanks>"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Your best bet may be to check with the local NRA chapter, or a Instructor for the concealed permit carry course. I think the NRA has a pocket guide to the individual state laws as well as states that reconize the permit you have as if they issued it. Meaning it would be as legal as if you were at home.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Tennessee has reciprocal agreements with Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisana, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. There are a number of other states that may honor your permit based on their state law. For instance, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, Montana, Vermont and Wyoming honor TN. carry permits but their state permits are not recognized in TN.

As a certified Police Firearms instructor in TN., I would think that a motorhome would be considered a moving vehicle. If you have a valid permit from S.C. and you enter TN., you would be OK due to the reciprocity. Many states require that you have the weapon unloaded, cased and not within reach of the driver i.e. in the trunk or locked someplace in the vehicle if you do not have a permit. Some states such as Mass. or N.Y. will confiscate the weapon if found in your possession even if cased. I would look at the states you plan on traveling through and contact the Atty. General's Office. If you don't want to bring attention to yourself, you might try some of the firearms associations in each state. The Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc. web site is www.nashville.com/~tfa and their email is tfa@nashville.com. They might be able to help you. Don't forget, the NRA site is also there and may be able to help you.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Ah...my second (amendment) favorite topic !

http://www.packing.org = Concealed carry database, News tracking, Gun ranges, Events, etc...

My suggestion would be to get a 2nd hand hunting style shotgun , old hunting gear and always say you use for hunting.

And if you cross over the Canadian border, prepare to surrender your weapons. Canada like some of our states have outlawed crime so you are perfectly safe and do not need to protect yourself or your love ones.

-BobbyWright
NRA Member
Texas CHL

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
guns

Like the old saying goes...
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Another I see & like often is... Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Bobby,
Glad to see another NRA member on the board. I've had my carry permit (we don't call it a concealed carry permit because it doesn't have to be concealed) for 5 years now. I just renewed it last year without any problems. I'm also an FBI and NRA certified Police Firearms Instructor who helps qualify over 2,000 officers each year on our range.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-13-2002, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Dr. Joe,
There is a book entitled Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. It is $9.95 + $3.00 s & h. It is available through Traveler's Guide, P.O. Box 2156 Covington, KY 41012 Credit card customers can order by phone (859)647-5100 9-5 EST M-F or FAX (859)491-5400. They also have a website at www.gunlawguide.com which might be of some help. This has been advertised in the NRA Rifleman magazine for a long time. I do not have a copy of the book so I do not know if it address MH issues or not. Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-13-2002, 10:44 AM   #9
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thanks for the reference Craig, and I want to thank the others for their inputs. I will check on the book! We know all about Canada - We entered Canada last year at the Maine border in our Excella 2170 Motor Home - Boy - they unloaded us and took almost an hour searching everything in the MH - Finally letting us go - We travelled across Canada to Saulte Ste Marie and re-entered the States. Nobody even stopped us at the US Border - just waved us in when we said US Citizens.

As far as I can see - checking the web on what was in the responses, My SC Concealed Weapons Permit will have reciprocity in every state that we will be travelling into..
Old 08-13-2002, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Dr. Joe,
Since I am originally from Texas, it sure is nice to drive from TN. through Ark. and all the way down to Corpus Christi, TX. knowing I have something covering me all the way. Let's hope reciprocity with other states continues but look out for a National Carry, something we definately don't want because all records will be held by the feds.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-13-2002, 08:16 PM   #11
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
I agree Craig regarding any Federal Gun Laws of any kind, and I don't think the congress will fall for that. Yes, I did check all the states today and everywhere where we are going we have cover with reciprocity. I really don't expect to be shaken down anywhere a long the line, and I do have trigger lock, etc. We also have MACE, which is really our first line of defence if necessary.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Dr. Joe,
Since I am a Chemical Agent Instructor do you mind if I ask you what brand and type of mace you are using? After being sprayed with OC by 4 different companies, I can highly recommend Aerko International's Freeze Plus P which is 1% OC and 1% CS. Also effective has been Mace Security International's 1%/1% and then Defense Technology 10 % OC which is a straight pepper spray.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-14-2002, 12:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Oops....I forgot my number one recommendation that I always make. I can't believe I did this. My apologies please.

Training.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #14
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Yes Craig - We have the Aerko Int'l product! - was also recommended by the Sheriff;s Dept here
Old 08-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Dr. Joe,
Your Sheriff's dept. is right on when it comes to the Aerko product. It is great stuff.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Hamilton , Montana
Right to carry

I love BobbyW's comment about training! That is the key to issuing a permit to carry a firearm. Here in Montana we all carry from time to time but to get a concealed carry permit you have to take classroom instruction from a certified instructor that delves into when you can use deadly force along with range instruction, safe handling, storage, Etc. My philosophy has always been: If "right to carry" permitees were allowed to travel on airlines "Packin'" there would have not been a 9-11!
Life Member NRA
Montique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good one Montique...
I bet you could make a Lib hyper-ventilate with those words alone.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Dr. Joe, Don't try to take Mace into Canada either. The last time we crossed at Watertown NY they ask if we had any Mace. That was the first time we have been ask in the 8 years I have lived here and crossing the border several times a year. I have heard that wasp spray will work as good as mace but I don't know.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
You might want to check the "USA Carry" website.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
2003 26' Land Yacht-"Bud"

coarsegold , California
Red face Don't Come Into This Lefty's House Unanounced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Good one Montique...
I bet you could make a Lib hyper-ventilate with those words alone.
Nope. Much as it's made out to be, it's not a Lib/Con thing....It's about common sense. And the right's backed by the now-bruised U.S. Constitution.

But let's not start this one rolling.
Simply stated, "Let's Roll!"
magwa is offline   Reply With Quote