Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
older RVs banned from RV parks

During this past year we've found 2 RV parks in Utah that do not want older RVs. Just booked at one in Moab: their on-line revs system said that if your RV was older than the year 2000, you had to send them a photo before you could make a reservation.

While we can see why the tonier places might not want some kind of junker on the premises, it seems like a needless irritant to owners of older Airstreams and restored vintage trailers, like the tin can tourists.

Just curious if the age limit is getting to be a trend at RV parks. Have you come across it?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I know some with vintage Airstreams ,just say they have an Airstream and do not give year.Most folks with older Airstreams do not have junk.
I don't think of my 1989 Squarestream as junk that is for sure.
At lest they will let you send photo.
Guess you could get a Lawyer to file a discrimination lawsuit that seam to work a lot now days.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Anyone who owns a clunker Ford and a clunker Airstream, like myself... look to the east of Moab, Utah are the La Sal Mountains. There are some Boondocking sites in the La Sals. If the flies are out at the lower elevations... go up higher.

Along I-70 is the Yellow Cat 193 exit. It is on the north side of Zion Park. No cost Boondocking and there is also lots of agate to be found in your free time. You can hike outside the National Park and see the back side of what others cannot see in the Park. No grass, weeds, brush... well pretty much nothing but the Arches to the south view. Hike or drive towards them. No crowds, no fees... and guarantee you... no nothing here.

There are other exits along I-70 that can be taken to Dry Camp, as well. We use them when it is getting late, so do not have an exit number.

Our clunker tow vehicles and our clunker Airstreams... probably use more electricity when they are vintage. You will NEED your air conditioning in Moab in the Summer! In the La Sals, less so if you find a high enough spot. No one knows a 1974 from a 2016 Airstream. They all look like clunkers to them.

Green River, Utah is not too far away. Maybe a RV Park that accepts ruffians and outlaws.

Exit 131, the junipers are full of campsites. If those do not meet your clunker truck and trailer low standards, take the road to the east and wind down into the canyon. Petroglyphs and Boondocking sites scattered around for us poor folk.

Utah is great for Boondocking along I-70. Just the Summer HEAT will get you. Fall and Spring are wonderful times in the 'bush'.

My Pacific Railway Airsteam may need a door and some windows... but 'ain't she cute'?

Do not call me cheap, call me... frugal. The best camping is when you chose where, with whom and can walk around without combing your hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5203.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	293881  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Why fight? Take your dollars elsewhere!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post

We camped next to your 'clunker' at Lake Mead, Nevada. They would not let either of us near an exclusive park.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, we have encountered age limits. I think having a way to turn some rigs or people out may be a trend in newer developments. My 30 year old trailer has stayed in at least 2 places with that rule so far. Don't ask, Don't tell, I guess. But I generally do not book them if I see the restriction. It is really hard to guess the exact age of most RV's without a look at the title, I think. So maybe if I ran a campground I would want some mechanism for turndowns. We stayed at a campground in Moahb tht probably had that restriction but with a caravan and it worked out okay.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
It is pure discrimination!
What next; the age, sex, religious and political affiliation of the people in your camper?
Yes, go elsewhere, but it still deserves a fight for your rights, while you still have some
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Have you come across it?
Yes. One of my favorite places said no motorhomes older than 10 years. Mine was, but they didn't stop me since my MH looked essentially new.
I think they pass a rule to keep out the junkers who bring drugs/noise/theft/trash/rowdy characters into the campground, and rather than say, "We don't want 'your type', just say, sorry, management policy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Yes, go elsewhere, but it still deserves a fight for your rights, while you still have some
I don't think you have a right to camp on private property. Let's save the fight for real problems.

I think campgrounds should be able to discriminate any way they wish. "We only allow 2018 Prevost motorhomes." Fine, they'll go broke.

As Groucho Marx once observed, "I don't want to join any club that would have me as a member."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Were rebels!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Is there a better way to get rid of a rotting piece of crap trailer than to take it to an RV park for one night and abandon it in the morning. This happens all the time. I think this is the reason campground owners are leery of older units. It has nothing to do with discrimination. They don't want to get stuck getting rid of an abandoned trailer.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
In my travels I have seen many RV parks that have all kinds of rules including but not limited to older RV's. If it is a private RV park then they get to make the rules. Some places don't allow dogs, some don't allow the under 55 year old crowd, yes, I am still talking about RVing, others don't allow Alcohol (Yikes). Some are Airstream only, go figure.
Fortunately there are usually other RV parking options in the area.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Imagine camping with friends in a great Airstream only park and having a converted school bus with a family of Gypsies roll in.
Then you'd be all for discriminating.
There are videos on YouTube showing people how to avoid being ousted by cities while parked and living in your van/RV/camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
others don't allow Alcohol (Yikes).
That's going too far, now.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I think they pass a rule to keep out the junkers who bring drugs/noise/theft/trash/rowdy characters into the campground, and rather than say, "We don't want 'your type', just say, sorry, management policy."
It is a sad message about how our country works today, we make & live by rules attempting to regulate one thing to avoid problems of another type that may or may not be related.
Not to get political, but I believe that people minority races, some faiths and lifestyles would agree, this is discrimination, and on private property or otherwise, it should be a crime!
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Agreed, however arent most of the Airstream only parks private, or club entities?
There is a difference between public and private.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have met plenty of good people in older campers of all makes and see plenty of noisy and rowdy people in late model expensive rigs.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Have stayed in at least 3 parks with age limits that required pictures of older units. Not one asked for a picture when I told them our trailer was a restored Airstream Argosy. I did emphasize "restored" when making the reservations.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The sad thing is, there are 20 year NEWER class A RV's that are worth less than my 1983 310 turbo diesel.

Each to their own, and I don't mind the attention mine gets over theirs.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've been in many campgrounds where there are signs behind the registration desk that state they reserve the right to refuse anyone.

It may be more discretion than discrimination, opting not to take in dilapidated older rigs...and their owners..and I think private campgrounds have that right.

We've had this discussion before here, and I believe the general word has been that Airstreams are usually accepted most anywhere, regardless of their age.

Maggie
Old 09-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #19
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
This summer we camped at Elephant Butte Lake RV Resort on the way home from up North. When I called ahead they asked me what year the trailer was. I had no idea why they wanted to know that and when I asked they didn't really give a reason, it's just part of the form she said. Now that this thread has popped up I understand. Funny thing is they didn't ask about the tow vehicle, which is 15 years old.

Incidentally the resort was very, very nice. Clean showers and restrooms (multiple), laundry, indoor pool and a really great restaurant across the street. The place really looks new. Security driving around in golf carts and they will give you a lift if you want. Pull thru sites with dual hookups to match your rig. It was the nicest park we've stayed in albeit we have not been around much yet. I guess the rate was fairly high at $53.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
Is there a better way to get rid of a rotting piece of crap trailer than to take it to an RV park for one night and abandon it in the morning. .

Bruce

I never would have thought of that, it strikes me as a bit funny too! Not too funny for the park owners I guess.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote