Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the level mate app.

it uses Bluetooth and we first level L - R from the vehicle.
then we disconnect and level F- B still with the app

its is very accurate and fast
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Dumb question. How do you turn the LevelMatePRO back on after it has gone to ‘sleep’. Also how are you turning yours off between trips.

That was not clear to me...when I read the instructions that came with mine.
The app activation is supposed to wake it up, I found that the app just crashe(s)(d)......it was recently update to fix the android polling issue which I "think" dealt with the sleep issue.

Prior, I'd just shut if off and turn it back on.......reconnect the app and it "worked"....

I haven't left it on by mistake since (recently), so I haven't had much time/chance to check to see if it has improved that annoyance.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
We were in a campground this weekend that was pretty off-kilter. I was thinking about how to level it side to side. What I can't figure out is: (1) do you back both wheels of a two axle trailer onto whatever your levelling material is (how do you keep them from sliding?!) and (2) what do you do about chocks? In this particular campground, if the trailer started to move backwards it would go down a pretty steep little gully.
Belbein.....When I have to level my 25' from side to side I use a wooden board that is long enough for both tires to fit and we use the lego type blocks on top of the board as needed to get the right height. As a regular plastic tire chock will slide on those surfaces, I install a metal expanding chock/stabilizer that fits between the tires and you expand it out to contact both tires to prevent the tires from moving.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Wonder why no one just lets air out of the tires to level. Most of us have compressors to inflate back before leaving. We check that every time anyhow, right? I'm not saying to let all the air out, just maybe 10-20 psi to get things exact. Instead of the plywood, at least. Not for major leveling.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Leveling side to side?

Being precisely level left-right is not critical to the refrigerator. Fore and aft is more important. Adjusting the tongue jack is very precise. I just make sure the head end of our left-right bed is higher than the foot for our comfort when sleeping.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
Wonder why no one just lets air out of the tires to level. Most of us have compressors to inflate back before leaving. We check that every time anyhow, right? I'm not saying to let all the air out, just maybe 10-20 psi to get things exact. Instead of the plywood, at least. Not for major leveling.
Will this make the camper prone to shaking rather than being rigid?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My LevelMate is also mounted in the front driver's side overhead storage. I leave it on when traveling, turn it off if we park for a while or in storage. The batteries lasted me a year when I first got it. It was on most go the time then because I'd always forget to turn it off. Since they last so long I don't see the need to turn it on and off every day when I know I'll be leveling every day.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #88
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
I would rather dig a hole on the side that needs to go down.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
I really don't think the trailer would move any more than with tires inflated. Still going to have stabilizers down and x chocks between tires. And the shovel works as long as you are on soft dirt or thicker gravel. I've even used a shoe shovel on gravel. Concrete or asphalt isn't going anywhere. It was just a thought. I've never done it.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
rmkrum - directions say to turn the unit off and then back on to activate. And thank you very much for your detailed response to my question. I read it a couple of times - you did install it INSIDE your closet, correct?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Leveling side to side?

Yes. Inside the closet to reduce the clutter.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Don't hate me. I am not made of money either, BUT I cringe every time I hear the word "cheap" especially when it is for something as expensive as an Airstream.

Why wouldn't people just buy the best and cough up the dough when they already have purchasing or owning an AS?

Again, don't hate me. I am not made of money. I guess somethings can be inexpensive.

More expensive does not equal better, especially for something as simple as leveling blocks.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a set of the Lynx leveling blocks. They come 10 in a bag for about $30.
1. Pull into spot and place the bubble level on the trailer floor.
2. Estimate how much you're off. I've never exceeded two blocks high.
3. If I need two blocks high, I use 6 squares. Bottom layer two, one in center of those. Two will fit between the wheels. Repeat for second axle.
4. Pull forward until you see it rise. Double check.

I just received my Level Mate Pro. I hope it reduces some of the in/out while parking. It's possible you could eliminate the need for blocks since campsites are usually irregular, thus you might find the perfect spot.

Wood is good, but heavy and dirty. So far, the Lynx have been all I've needed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I just got back from 3 months on the road. I used Lynx blocks this year, I have three sets plus the lynx chocks and end caps. The Lynx blocks broke at various times on sand and gravel. I am going back to wood blocks, most of which I had disposed of when I got the Lynx. I have tandem axles: I will use 2x6, 10" to 12" long with angled edges. I painted a couple of the batch I had previously and the dirt brushes right off. A couple of times I used the Lynx under the tongue, but decided against that, too slippery, so I went back to painted 6x6 blocks, 12" long for the tongue. I may still take a set of Lynx but basically I am done with those darn things.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #95
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Andersen Levelers, they work great. Used them last month camping on the Outer Banks. Neighbors walked over, and were amazed. “Why didn’t I think of that?” Etc..
I told them the Andersen story (defacing the arch) and mentioned there are alternatives. I doubt he (Andersen) vandalizes anything else. I’ve made mistakes, been caught, but not every time. Trying to do right now. Hoping I’m not hated, but can’t do much about the past.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
If you use Hopkins and similar gauges, they will tell you how many inches you are out of level. The Camico, Andersen and similar arced ramp levelers allow you to mark the inches on the side, from 1 to 4 inches. Simply mark the side and you will get it close, if not perfect the first time.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I just got back from 3 months on the road. I used Lynx blocks this year, I have three sets plus the lynx chocks and end caps. The Lynx blocks broke at various times on sand and gravel. I am going back to wood blocks, most of which I had disposed of when I got the Lynx. I have tandem axles: I will use 2x6, 10" to 12" long with angled edges. I painted a couple of the batch I had previously and the dirt brushes right off. A couple of times I used the Lynx under the tongue, but decided against that, too slippery, so I went back to painted 6x6 blocks, 12" long for the tongue. I may still take a set of Lynx but basically I am done with those darn things.
I find your experience interesting as I have used them for well over 10 years on similar surfaces with no issue. What I am wondering: 1)Are yours newer and they are now made from a different plastic. 2)Are yours older and the plastic is timing out? 3)Is your trailer heavier loaded so stressing them more?
I have been using mine since 2006, with them in place for two years straight at one point in time. I have noticed some getting a bit "white in color" so thinking they are tired and ready for the recycle bin.
Basically asking the questions here to see if mine have timed out and need to look for some type of replacement.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I find your experience interesting as I have used them for well over 10 years on similar surfaces with no issue. What I am wondering: 1)Are yours newer and they are now made from a different plastic. 2)Are yours older and the plastic is timing out? 3)Is your trailer heavier loaded so stressing them more?
I have been using mine since 2006, with them in place for two years straight at one point in time. I have noticed some getting a bit "white in color" so thinking they are tired and ready for the recycle bin.
Basically asking the questions here to see if mine have timed out and need to look for some type of replacement.
I have owned the Lynx blocks for about 4 years. I first used them on a Casita at that time. Using the cap, the Lynx would slip a bit when under the tongue jack and sometimes under the wheels. The worst thing was sinking into mud. I live in TN and camped a bit in the western part of the state as well as MO, MI and AR. I also used the Bal 28050 leveler, then switched to using the arced levelers. Although the arced levelers sometimes slipped they work well enough most of the time. I this year I bought a 27. I have a hard time rolling both tires onto the Lynx. They cracked and chipped on a level gravel site, and cracked on a dirt site. They also slipped on the tongue when used in the snow at a high elevation. I just gave up and started using wood again. I have four blue bags, with caps and I doubt that I will ever use them again. They are much lighter than the wood. I currently use the Camco yellow and black arced levelers under the tandem axles and 6x6x10" wood under the tongue. I will make a couple of 6x2x6 blocks for the wheels as backup; as I write this I am thinking I may even cut a couple of short angled 4x6x8 or so blocks: I have occasionally parked in sites that had extreme grades.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
It appears yours are quite a bit newer than mine. Gets me wondering if the composition of the plastic has changed from when I got mine.....mysteries of the cosmos.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #100
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have been using Lynx Levelers for 15 years and around 1,000 nights on the road (many leveled). The levelers are starting to show their age. Some are faded and worn, but all are still fully functional.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote