Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Side-to-Side Flooring Replacement in Classic MH

Hi,

We have a Classic 325 MH and wish to replace the carpet with a floating wood floor. We are considering installing it side-to-side rather than the traditional front to back.

Would like to hear your thoughts, see pictures, or any advice you may have to share about this.

Thank you!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Hi,

We have a Classic 325 MH and wish to replace the carpet with a floating wood floor. We are considering installing it side-to-side rather than the traditional front to back.

Would like to hear your thoughts, see pictures, or any advice you may have to share about this.

Thank you!
Wow, no one has any thoughts about this?!? I am so sad.....

Kristine
Old 10-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Do a search for Pergo or laminate floors. You'll find as many opinions as their are Hensley hitches and generators. I installed mine lengthwise. Never really thought about it, but typical installations go with the longest dimension of the space. I guess I thought crossways would look choppy. Many pics have been posted both ways, with good reasons given either way. They all look good. Buy it and lay it out before installing. See what works for you and which you like better. Either way, it will look and perform great. The preference will be yours. I'm not sure if installation is easier one way or the other.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Do a search for Pergo or laminate floors. You'll find as many opinions as their are Hensley hitches and generators. I installed mine lengthwise. Never really thought about it, but typical installations go with the longest dimension of the space. I guess I thought crossways would look choppy. Many pics have been posted both ways, with good reasons given either way. They all look good. Buy it and lay it out before installing. See what works for you and which you like better. Either way, it will look and perform great. The preference will be yours. I'm not sure if installation is easier one way or the other.
That is what we are concerned about - whether or not it would look choppy. We have only been able to find one set of pictures with the floor going that way and it was in the wider trailer not the MH so it was hard to tell.

Thanks for the suggestion to search for Pergo. Good idea!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Craftsman

Another opinion , lay it on the long axis, it'll look a lot better than side to side. 35 years experience tells me it's the way to do it.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Another opinion , lay it on the long axis, it'll look a lot better than side to side. 35 years experience tells me it's the way to do it.
Thanks! We feel better having a plan before we buy anything and it appears this will compliment the MH the best.

Appreciate the post.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I've done it both ways. No troubles with separation in either..

Edges are tough to snap in.. I have a tool you can borrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	27653   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02385.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	27654  

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
My parents had the laminate installed in our camper when they owned it. The installers recommended lengthwise as it required less cutting of the product. Don't know if this is true, but that's what they were told.

Ours looks good, holding up very well and clean up is a snap. Thing to know is edging will need to be installed. My father did up quarter round oak and stained it to match the cabinets. This worked out reall well.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Thumbs up Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I've done it both ways. No troubles with separation in either..

Edges are tough to snap in.. I have a tool you can borrow.
AWESOME!!!!

Thank you so much for the photos. They both are fantastic!

We will let you know when we are ready to borrow the tool. Investigating on products and probably won't get started until after the holidays.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
My parents had the laminate installed in our camper when they owned it. The installers recommended lengthwise as it required less cutting of the product. Don't know if this is true, but that's what they were told.

Ours looks good, holding up very well and clean up is a snap. Thing to know is edging will need to be installed. My father did up quarter round oak and stained it to match the cabinets. This worked out reall well.
I remember your floor from Alumination Celebration. What type of laminate was it, do you know?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
I remember your floor from Alumination Celebration. What type of laminate was it, do you know?
A good quality Pergo knockoff, unsure by who.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Check out Highland Hard Woods in Epping NH, right on RT 125. They are always having deals on small amounts. I did Pearl for $25
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Murray , Utah
Here is a pictures of me installing the TrafficMaster laminate flooring from Home Depot that was on closeout. Installation went well and it looks pretty good.

I miscalculated and didn't buy enough, but luckily they still had another box when I saw that I would be a few feet short. I don't have access to the final project pictures, but this gives you an idea.

Aesthetically, I can't tell a difference if it is laid lengthwise or widthwise. I chose widthwise as I was leaving the cabinets in and it looked like it would be less cutting. If the trailer was completely stripped, I would have laid it lengthwise.

Good luck with your decisions and I hope it turns out well.

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote