Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
If you could anywhere from Seattle, where would you go?

We live near Seattle, WA and I am trying to convince hubby to take advantage of the time off our little one (well, not so little anymore, he is 6) will have from school (spring break) and go on a trip with our Airstream. We will have 10 days. We recently did a trip down along the Oregon coast which was spectacular to say the least.

If you lived here, where would you go for 10 days in your Airstream??
Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Yellowstone.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We've only had one trip that long, and we spent too much time traveling, and not enough time seeing where we were! I think if it was me, I might head up to Canada and check out Vancouver Island, I hear it's spectacular scenery up there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Boy, this is a hard one. You already live in such a pleasing place.

Lynn
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The Olympic Peninsula? Come North to British Columbia or visit the North-East corner of your state (the area around Mount Baker is beautiful!).
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
HAWAIII!!!! I'd ship it there and have it waiting for me at the docks!

ok, not much help... sorry

I'm kindof a plant freak... I've always wanted to see the Redwoods in Cali... might make for a cool camping trip.

Sweet blog btw, those food pics look like they are out of a mag! Makin' me hungry!
FullTimin2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Glacier National Park is beautiful. It will only take you 9-10 hours to get there.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I think if it was me, I might head up to Canada and check out Vancouver Island, I hear it's spectacular scenery up there.
I second this. That or the San Juan islands. I do believe you can ferry your airstream to both from BC.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Bremerton ferry to Port Angles. Take a day trip over to Victoria on the fast ferry. Go down to the docks and watch the factory boats load up lumber and sit off in International waters and make it into plywood. Watch them bring the plywood back in and unload it. Wonder how all this pans out.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Funny, I was just filing this last year note in my tax box: I-93, Directions to SpragPole Museum, Murray ID. Check out Dave Smith Dodge in Kellogg ID first (oh they'll fly you in to pick up your new Dodge anyway), then check out the gold panning in Murray. And all the fishing in the Idaho Panhandle. Gotta check out the Cabela's just across the WA line from Spokane toward Post Falls, ID. Buck Knife factory first exit into Idaho, Post Falls with their factory discontinued, blems.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
These are AWESOME ideas, thank you guys This is such a great help!!! I am so excited about all the ideas -- will have a glass of wine tonight and ponder, ponder, ponder. Thanks my beloved Airforum friends
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Bremerton ferry to Port Angles. Take a day trip over to Victoria on the fast ferry. Go down to the docks and watch the factory boats load up lumber and sit off in International waters and make it into plywood. Watch them bring the plywood back in and unload it. Wonder how all this pans out.
Hey Splitrock, you need to get out more. The fast ferry to Victoria is no more, it's the Coho or swim. Also from Bellevue it's better to drive to Tacoma and up Hwy 16. The ferry with a trailer is about $80 these days.

I do agree the Olympic Peninsula is a great place to spend some time with a variety of things to see and do. I might be biased because I live here.

We did Vancouver Island about a year ago and had a great time, again many things to see and do. From Anacordes get off the ferry at Friday Harbor and spend a day or two. Then back on the ferry to Sidney on Vancouver Island.

Last December we did the Sunshine Coast in British Columbia. A little cold in December but had a great time anyway. It involves a couple of ferry rides but is a great place to visit. By the way the fare prices on the B.C. Ferries web site are for a round trip on these ferries.

Have a great trip, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Ca

There are some things your 6 year old might like in California which is only a day and a hlaf away.

Lassen Volcanic park - nothing like the sight or smell of volcanic fumaroles.

California Railroad Museum in Sacramento - Big boys like this one too.

Columbia State park - Pan for gold, Get some Sasparilla at the Bar

The candy factory in Oakdale - Watch how Reese Cups are made then eat them.

Henry Cowell redwoods state park near Santa Cruz - Ride the roaring camp and Big Trees railroad line.

San Francisco Bay - Take the Ferry to Angel Isalnd for a little hike and some great views of the city and the golden gate.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Hey Splitrock, you need to get out more. The fast ferry to Victoria is no more, it's the Coho or swim.
Man . . . that's a two hour putt putt. I haven't been over there since 1994. Did I mention my wife doesn't like to travel (if ya don't count two trips a day to Wal Mart)?

If I had my way I'd be home two weeks then gone three, home two then gone three . . .
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Man . . . that's a two hour putt putt. I haven't been over there since 1994. Did I mention my wife doesn't like to travel (if ya don't count two trips a day to Wal Mart)?

If I had my way I'd be home two weeks then gone three, home two then gone three . . .
Don't feel too bad, the Victoria Clipper just announced stopping it's service about two weeks ago. The good news is the Coho only takes one hour and twenty minuites each way so it's not too bad.

Sorry to hear about the wife. Just tell her there are new Wal Marts to shop all along the way. Also we have some huge outlet centers.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I liked Port Angeles a lot. We stayed there several days at a nice campground. I don't remember the name. We were near the end of a three week motorcycle/camping trip. We went west by way of Albuquerque, NM and got on the coast at Morrow Bay, CA. We were 10 days up the coast with memorable stops at Monterey, San Simeon, and San Francisco. Ate a lot of clam soup out of bread bowls.

Of course we came home by way of Interstate 90. The Idaho pan handle is really pretty. We found beautiful campgrounds and extremely good places to eat there.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
I liked Port Angeles a lot. We stayed there several days at a nice campground. I don't remember the name. We were near the end of a three week motorcycle/camping trip. We went west by way of Albuquerque, NM and got on the coast at Morrow Bay, CA. We were 10 days up the coast with memorable stops at Monterey, San Simeon, and San Francisco. Ate a lot of clam soup out of bread bowls.

Of course we came home by way of Interstate 90. The Idaho pan handle is really pretty. We found beautiful campgrounds and extremely good places to eat there.
Oh my Splitrock -- THAT is my dream trip. Really. Just got goosebumps from reading your post. *sigh* maybe one day . . . !!!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Don't plan anything that involves driving Highway 1 near Big Sur (on the coast between Monterey and Cambria). A section of the highway fell into the ocean this week and it will be months before it's repaired.

When it's done, though, that is one of the most beautiful drives in California, IMO.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had a friend who told me there is a lovely campground in the middle of Port Angeles, city owned, down in a hollow right in the middle of town. He said you can stay there and walk right to downtown, go take a ferry to Victoria for a day, it's a great home base spot. Does anyone know what campground that is?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I liked hwy 1 a lot. I rode all of it from Morrow Bay till it ended. I almost lost it north of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Hwy 1 exit is right at the start of the bridge on the north end. It came up a LOT quicker than I expected. I had to make a turn around and go back to get on it.

We did a lot of touring in the 90's. We made one three week trip to Yellowstone, Jackson, Wyoming, all the way up the Idaho river to Glacier Park. We made another to Washington DC and got on Skyline Drive at Mile 1 in Virginia, and rode it and the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Cherokee, NC. Then up to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg to Dollywood, then to Franklin, Tennessee and mile one of the Natchez Trace to Natchez, Mississippi.

We camped all the way except to stay a few days at a couple of the lodges along the Blue Ridge. We liked Asheville a LOT. We stayed there a week, made a side trip to Greenville, SC, (stayed at Scuffletown) and went back to Asheville. Beautiful scenery, pretty women, and good food. What's to not like? :-)

All of the campgrounds were nice. The people were nice to us. Scuffletown had dances every week in a big barn. They had tame peacocks running all over the campground.