Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
The Nelder Grove access road is a bit of a climb, about 1/4 mile of steep. If you have a stout TV you'll be fine.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If you can get reservation in Ft. Bragg, on Coast, they hold largest outdoor Salmon Barbecue in US over 4th of July weekend.. Several commercial and state campgrounds in the area. Salmon dinner is great, fireworks often canceled or obscured by coastal fog.

Another great area on northern coast is Patrick's Point area, with State Park campground near ocean and VERY woodsy "Emerald Forest" campground across the highway buried beneath redwoods.. Great cafe at boat launch area, and good beaches for walking.. (Swimming is out of the question in 53 degree surf...)

Finally, there are several state parks and beaches around Crescent City near Oregon border that are also great... In Oregon east of Gold River, the Four Seasons RV Campground is ON the Rogue River, set up for Jet Boat rides (stop at their dock) or fishing or just exploring...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
My wife won the lottery! We got reservations for July 10th and 11th at Yosemite in Upper Pines! I'm stoked! So now we need to get some July 4th reservations made. I tried at Tahoe recommended above but they were all sold out. Any other suggestions? Cory
Cory, I recommend you stay on the west side of the Sierras in order to save time and distance. Consider some time before July 10 in the northern California redwoods, and then two or three nights at either Lassen National Park (live volcanos!) or Calaveras Big Trees, in the gold country. Day trips out of Calaveras will take to to gold rush mining towns and some terrific forests.

When in Yosemite, I recommend you take a day hike using the Glacier Point one-way bus and then coming down the Panorama Trail. You'll see some of the best Yosemite has to offer.

This is turning out to be a terrific adventure!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We have found great recommendations on campgrounds from this site. In Arches, and Dead Horse CG (near Canyon Lands) three years ago we were given a recommendation for a site near Lake City Colorado.. Doesn't look like your going to be in that area, but I'm following this thread to get info for future trips. We can't do four week trips yet..

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

I agree with Jeff

I would suggest giving yourself time on the return leg. Get a map of BLM land and find a jem that's free. It's WAY easier than you would think
Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
If you drive through Montana, I would suggest hitting the KOA in Billings. I know, KOAs are not my first choice either but this is the FIRST KOA every built and it is very nice. Close to town if you need to resupply or want to hit a place for dinner.

Heavily wooded? Stop in the North Cascades in Washington at any of the campgrounds from the summit going westward. Try to make it to the Olympic Peninsula and stay at the Hoh Rain Forest campground. This is as heavily wooded as anything you will find in the state.

Have a great trip. I am envious. Washington State has much to offer from the deserts in the south east to the central farm lands to the wooded mountains of the Cascades to the rain forests and beaches of the west.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
If you are going to Oregon

Better stop off in Utah/Wyoming near dam deer run is great place to spend day. Flaming gorge is name you want a picture?
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
hey there. I know quite a bit about Yosemite, the eastern sierras, and Tahoe. I liked the east side of Glacier NP. The west side was a little crowded and didn't have the beautiful lakes. Two Medicine Lake was very nice with large campsites and good view. Just north of Arches NP was a newer campground I think called Archview. Great views and sunsets.
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
Here are a few recommendations, in no particular order: Sugar Pine Point in Lake Tahoe, Samuel P. Taylor in Lagunitas (near Point Reyes), Half Moon Bay State Beach, Lower Pines in Yosemite. Half Moon Bay is not woodsy, but it is right on the beach. I think that reservations would be required for all during the summer months.
silver bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
New Recommendations

We've lived on the SF Peninsula since 1979 and still continue to discover new, close by places to camp in our AS. Here are some recommendations based on your liking the woods. In the mountains immediately to the east of Hwy 1 with Santa Cruz to the south and Half Moon Bay to the north--a span of about 50 miles--there are a number of largely unknown--outside the local area--redwood groves. Some of them have really nice campgrounds. The forestation varies from normal to quite dense. These are all within 10+ miles of Hwy 1.

So from south to north: Henry Cowles State Park (don't confuse this with Henry Cowe SP about 50 miles east), Big Basin State Park, both these have some REALLY big coast redwoods, approaching 300' height. A little further north, Butano State Park and Memorial Park (County of San Mateo). You may see Portola Redwoods SP on the map, but it's hard to get to.

There's a really nice KOA at Costanoa (Pescadero) with full hookups that could be used as a base from which plan day trips to one or more of these parks.

BTW, if you end up visiting Yosemite, don't miss the giant sequoias in the Mariposa Grove. Once you see them, you'll never forget. Coast redwoods aren't as large in diameter, but they are taller.

Enjoy the trip!
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
WooHoo! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm gonna look into all of them!
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
hidden gems there in missouri

We have been enjoying the thread and am going to be spending some time in MO because our son has moved there and was wondering if you would share some gems in your state? Thank you.
Patti
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Bee cave, you know how it is you visit places far away but never in your backyard! I really enjoy roaring river state park. Also nice near kc is Weston Bend State Park.
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Smile

Thanks for the info. Our son is living in St Louis. Have you ever been to Mark Twain National Forest ? Would love to boondock there some day.
Patti
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Pismo Beach -watch out!

The area is gorgeous, but don't be seduced by the false pictures for Pismo Coast RV Village Resort which shows parking right on the beach. Not so, plus the spaces are tight and they do not enforce their own rules. It is expensive and since we have already paid there is no way but to tough it out. Noise, noise noise: But, next door is a state campground which is $25.00 or less per night and is beautiful with large, lovely parking sites. Live and learn -we are newbies, but are now quickly suspicious of expensive places using the words 'resort'. We never use the amenities and have found that often they attract a young party crowd with a lack of basic manners. We have met some nice people so all is not lost.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #36
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
RV Park Reviews

I used this website as an additional reference source on places we're thinks about camping in. It's not perfect, but I've found it really useful. It's pretty good at identifying those locations that are either very good or very bad.

RV Park Reviews :: Home
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
For the July 4 holiday, I have found the eastern side of the Sierra to be idyllic. It'll be a nice retreat from the hot temps, and the crowds, and excellent for outdoor recreation like trout fishing, hiking, lakes, streams, mountain biking, rock climbing. There are loads of places where if you pull in mid week, or on a Thursday morning, you can get into a first come first serve campsite at any of the following locations:
Toulemne Meadow (spectacular vistas and hiking in the high country of Yosemite)- White Wolf CG, or Toulemne CG
Emery Lake CG
Saddlebag Lake CG
June Lake
Mammoth Lakes Area (Twin Lakes CG is my favorite)
Rock Creek Area (A real hidden gem: right on the lake has Mosquitos, so go to the East Fork CG...it's gorgeous)
South Lake out of Bishop

I'll be up that way if you want to rendevouz for a beer...
CaliSurfBum is offline   Reply With Quote