Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
state parks

All the state parks in SC are great. However, both Edisto and Hunting Island are very popular. Yes, we have a rally this coming weekend but all sites are reserved. For these popular parks you usually need a reservation, sometimes months in advance. We would love to have you join us at an upcoming rally. You are always welcome!
Kathy
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bluffton , South Carolina
SC Camper

James Island County Park, Charleston SC. - you'll love it!!!!
Peterlauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
We also like Edisto State Park and Hunting Island. However, we also like Watsadler's and Springfield on Lake Hartwell. They are both Corp of Engineers campgrounds.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hunting Island. Awesome place!

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Jackson Center, Ohio!
Soon you will understand this.

Seriously, have fun.
RPVEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #26
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
We are headed this weekend to Overland Expo East in Fletcher (Asheville) N.C. at Taylor Ranch. See: Overland Expo

However, you wouldn't want to camp there as it is boon docking which I don't recommend on a shakedown run. It is however a packed full weekend about vehicle recovery, great overland gear, good food and more.

We head from there to Hunting Island SP for a week! Let's hope Joaquin decides to head out to sea!
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Been camping many years. If you want peace and quiet and the beach, Pirate Land near Surfside Beach is great. Ocean Lakes is crowded and full of teenagers racing around in golf carts. If you want something close to the mountains and easy to get to, Palmetto Cove RV park 521 Table Rock Road, Cleveland, SC is ideal. Right off Scenic US Hwy 11 in Northern Greenville County, It is a large member owned non profit (formerly all Airstream now open to all) park It is roomy, all grass, river access, low traffic area, plenty of room for kids to ride bikes etc., large open air shelter with a big fire place and rocking chairs, lounge for table games or reading and very quiet. Nearest shopping is approx. 13 miles. Several good restaurants with in a few miles.

Someone mentioned Jellystone RV Park in Swansea, SC and it is very good too. Quiet, low traffic area and the biggest play ground I've ever seen in an RV park. Well maintained and family oriented. Not much around if you want to go shopping, though.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go to St.Marys, GA, stay at the state park near there or the very nice big wheel RV Resort, then take the ferry to Cumberland Island for the day.

Your kids will love the ferry, the island, and the wild horses.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Many good suggestions here and while we personally prefer state parks over commercial campgrounds, most do not provide sewer hookup. For a shakedown cruise, especially with kids, I would recommend a campground with sewer hookups. Grey water capacity is usually a limiting factor when full hook up is nut available. While conserving water (ie: grey water capacity) is not difficult it dies require a little practice. Full hookups will allow you to check all systems and have fun (use camper shower, etc) without running out of grey water storage half way through your stay. Have fun.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
BTW, for full hook ups, James Island County Park is a really good choice. Lots of paved bike trails, playground, supervised climbing wall, paddle boats, water park (if still open for season) meadows, shelters. Close to destinations and shopping.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Not sure what your definition of kinda close is - I'm across the river in Augusta. I have an app on iPad called RVParking that gives good overview with so far.

Within an hour or so I would suggest on of the campgrounds at the Lake. These are Corp of Engineer campgrounds, Hickory Knob on SC side and Elijay on GA side are bigger campgrounds with more activities.

Moving a little further (2-hours) the recommendations for Hunting Island, Edisto, or Tybee (has hook-ups) are good.

good luck
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollySteve View Post
Many good suggestions here and while we personally prefer state parks over commercial campgrounds, most do not provide sewer hookup. For a shakedown cruise, especially with kids, I would recommend a campground with sewer hookups. Grey water capacity is usually a limiting factor when full hook up is nut available. While conserving water (ie: grey water capacity) is not difficult it dies require a little practice. Full hookups will allow you to check all systems and have fun (use camper shower, etc) without running out of grey water storage half way through your stay. Have fun.

This is REALLY good advice. Hunting Island is a great park and apart from being almost always full, it's still relatively quiet and right on the beach. It just doesn't have sewer hookups at all but a few sites which are never available. They do have two dump sites which you can hit up on the way out but you'll fill your grey water tanks and have to deal with it sooner than you might think. Most people bring portable dump tanks they can tow to the dump station... a genius idea but not something you want to do (or buy for) on a maiden voyage. South Carolina has a TON of great places to camp so as long as you have full hookups and bug spray, you're going to have a great time. Just remember, the first memories everyone has of Airstreaming are the ones they will most often recall so make sure it's enjoyable for all!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
As I have a vacation home in both, but definitely had more fun in one more than the other as a child, it's between Charleston and Myrtle Beach...since you're toting 7 young ones, easy, Myrtle Beach...as far as RV parks go, with 60 miles of uninterrupted coastline...there's far to many to list. There is one though I would avoid, but I can't remember the stinking name of the place...I know I have it in my log book somewhere, so I'll post it if I find it...but you can tell by the pictures on their website from what I remember that it's not the best of campgrounds...lol.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote