Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Been back and forth several times in the past 2 months. The focus is on weapons, tobacco and booze. Remember that if you cross into Canada, you will need to cross back into the US. More questions. Answer honestly but do not give more information than asked for.
I guess it depends on whom and how their day is going. Have open bottle of Cognac and Amaretto di Saronno which I let the CBP officer know of when I was asked about alcohol and was told that was fine.
romaa.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Crossing border

We cross the border at least twice a year and get asked the same questions about food and dogs vaccination as you would entering Canada. They even open up our trailer and look inside now and then. They are doing there jobs so no problem for us. I just shop in the USA when we need our fresh stuff like meats, fruit and vegetables.
We carry can goods and dry goods so never a problem having food with us.
Part of travel

Have fun
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Went to Alaska via Canada last year with no problem. Returning home I learned a bit of trivia that might be significant for some. If, in the past 10 years, you or someone in you party had a DUI, expect problems at the border.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Coming back into the US they made us unload some firewood and leave it at the border

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
How strict is Canada on knives? I carry a box cutter & razor blade scraper in my tool box.
I've never been asked about that, and I carry many, including military. Canadian laws focus on the intent rather than the object. I have a rural undeveloped property so it would be easy for me to justify everything I carry.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My first experience with weird boarder issues was in 1958. That probably was the tenth or twentieth time we'd crossed the boarder. My grandmother had bough some fresh cherries in the US the day before we went into Canada. We have pictures of all of us standing at the boarder crossing in the rockies gobbling cherries .... crazy !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #27
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We live close to the US border and go back and forth a lot. I suggest you Google both the US and Canada customs and immigration websites on what you can and cannot bring in. The last time I checked, though:

1. Fresh produce and meat. Canada normally doesn't care unless it's something with a recent serious potential agricultural pest threat. The US (on your return) is a lot stickier. No citrus ever. No lamb or goat (including in dog food) with fresh vegetables and other fruits sorta depending. Tomatoes and fresh peppers are sometimes OK, sometimes not. We got to the point where we just don't bring fresh meat or produce through US customs. But you can if it's not on their bad list, which changes frequently.

The thing about having to cut up some produce, is that if it's infested with an agricultural pest that could spread in the US, that way they can tell.

2. Pet food. Keep in original packaging that gives country of origin and contents.

3. Guns. Not worth it. No hand guns ever. Hunting firearms OK but then you'd probably have to verify that you're legitimately on a hunting trip. Don't worry-- campers are generally safe here.

4. Pets. Rabies certificate essential, though they seldom ask to see it. Other vet records recommended, just on the odd chance your dog gets sick or has to be in a kennel.

5. Firewood. None-- in either direction. Check locally on any campfire bans due to forest fire danger.

6. Liquor-- per person, 2 bottles of wine or one liter bottle of liquor. I forget on beer, but it's a fair bit into Canada, at least a 6-pack per person, maybe more.

We don't smoke but you can check the websites on tobacco limits, if you do.

7. They may ask if you're carrying more than $10K with you. Yes, you can, but you have to declare it at the border.

8. If the driver has had a DUI or other offense, check before you leave on potential problems getting admitted to Canada.

9. Gas is cheaper in the US, so fill up before you come.

10. Generally the smaller, more remote customs stations are a lot easier and faster to get through than the big urban ones. But this can vary.

Enjoy your trip!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We've been back and forth several times on this year's trip, and haven't had any problems. Start with Canada's policies, and follow them. The biggest thing is no weapons, and minimal fresh/open food.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
http://inspection.gc.ca/food/informa...89648516990#a1

We also keep a surly ("Don't mess with me") cat sitting on our truck's center console, and he's intimidated his way through US/CA border patrol for years. And if that doesn't work, we have a sweet black lab in the back seat.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
10. Generally the smaller, more remote customs stations are a lot easier and faster to get through than the big urban ones. But this can vary.
Oh, yeah. Despite the huge number of lanes, crossing at Niagara Falls was a hassle, both ways, and among the less friendly government officials I've ever had to deal with.

By contrast, crossing at the little border post near Carway, Alberta (US Highway 89/Alberta 2) was a simple pleasure both ways, even though I'd forgotten the rental car paperwork back at the hotel. The officials on both sides were efficient, but polite and friendly.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Food not permitted

Both countries publish long lists of prohibited goods.
Check their websites as the lists change frequently.

Guns are generally a no no. But hunters can bring their long rifles. Docs needed.

Generally pays to just answer the questions.
dgtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Kind of an anecdote. We were crossing for a week long ski trip, taking our food and beverages. The Canadian customs guy asked if we had fruit, I told him I had a few plums. He advised we couldn't bring them in, I asked if it was ok if I just ate them, he said sure. I ate the plums and put the seeds in the ashtray and he waved us through. The funny thing was that the seeds are the part you aren't supposed to take in.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My friend just crossed into Maine and said the US border guard made them throw away all their vegetables. We're headed up in a couple of weeks and will keep things to a minimum.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
What about kitchen knives in the camper? Is that a problem?

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Los Gatos , California
The one missing item is Firewood, no wood... Niether US or CA allow wood to cross the border. Packaged meats are OK. Canada Customs know all of the firearms I own and when I registered them.... They knew more of what’s in my gun safe then my wife knows... Don’t lie
Silver Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
We too cross over more than occasionally and totally agree with Len n Jeanne’s list. We have never had a problem or even question re knives (from kitchen to camping to camp kitchen there are probably a dozen!). The return to the USA is always the more difficult but never a problem.
It shouldn’t matter that it is Washington/British Columbia and we live near the border.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
My friend just crossed into Maine and said the US border guard made them throw away all their vegetables. We're headed up in a couple of weeks and will keep things to a minimum.

Pat
Just so folks know. if you have a NEXUS pass an infraction such as above can very well result in them taking your pass. From the official website "Any infraction, no matter how small, shifts a trusted traveler into the untrustworthy category." and "There is no pardon process. There is no leniency for carelessness or lack of knowledge."

Was once standing behind a lady eating an apple in a Canadian airport waiting to pre flight clear US Customs (in order words we were still in another country). Half way down the line was the machine for swiping your Nexus pass and still another 20 mins or so of waiting until you got to the US Border Agents desk. She swiped her Nexus card. Took a couple of more steps forward and throw the apple away in a trash can beside the line - still another 30 feet from Agents desk and about 20 folks ahead of us waiting in line. Seconds later two US Border Agents come running over and looked in the trash can and took her into a back room. Meet her later at the gate to the plane. They took her Nexus pass as they declared the second she scanned her pass she was in volation of the rules. They did permit her to enter the US on her regular passport but told her if she had another infraction it may not go so well entering the US again.

Have had a number of friends have issues with fruit and veggies in their trailers when crossing. I leave the shopping for fresh groceries to until I cross the line regardless of direction heading. Has kept me out of trouble on dozens of crossings.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Zep View Post
The one missing item is Firewood, no wood... Niether US or CA allow wood to cross the border. Packaged meats are OK. Canada Customs know all of the firearms I own and when I registered them.... They knew more of what’s in my gun safe then my wife knows... Don’t lie
Why are you transporting firewood anyway? It is against the law in Canada. Buy your firewood locally and what you don't use you leave. You can a huge fine for transporting firewood and so should you.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've been crossing the border since I was 7 and times have changed. The US has always been more difficult. Canadians are far more friendly and far less likely to want to look inside your RV. US immigration border police have had bad attitudes at least going back to the 1960's, but customs officers were nice and easy to get along with. They merged the two agencies after 9/11 and unfortunately the tradition of nastiness of immigration officers has infected the entire agency, ICE. Some of the older ones are nice and don't feel they have to prove themselves, but the younger ones are often nasty, suspicious and love to take fruit (pretty strange how they have focused on that rather than terrorism). Some years ago we were told to leave the labels on the fruit so they can tell where it came from (that is a good idea at the California bug stations too). If it is that bad for elderly Americans at the northern border, I can't imagine what it is like for citizens or other countries at the southern border.

They may inspect your RV and you are not allowed near them, so who knows what they do inside? They pretty much can tear apart anything and don't have to fix things they break. It is much like coming into a third world dictatorship sometimes. Other times, there are no problems. In other words, sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not. Although they are having problems recruiting officers, and have had to lower qualifications to get anyone who wants to work for ICE, they seem to be looking for things to do (hence the fruit fixation) while they want to show how tough they are. They used to ask what we bought and some evidence like receipts, but often they don't care about customs, it is just fruit and suspicion. When they do take fruit, they often miss other fruit and have taken whole fruit, but not sliced fruit or missed stuff because the trailer is usually packed to the gills.

Canadians welcome us to their country; ICE treats us like interlopers. Rarely a welcome home. You may spend an hour or more at the US border, so figure on a delay. The big crossings can be very slow and we often choose the minor ones, but they can be slow too. The best ones have little space to have you park for an inspection, but hard to know which ones they are. At the ferry to the Olympic Penn. from Victoria, there is very little space, but you have to go through hassles on the Canadian side because there is ICE pre-crossing document inspection and then someone waiting on the Washington side who may be looking for certain people. I got balled out for stopping one foot past some place the guy wanted me to stop. I told him he should be more clear with hand signals.

So read the requirements on the internet for each country and hope they don't change again and again, but they might. Never heard of any problem with knives anywhere at the border, but guns into Canada are difficult. If you're not on a hunting trip, I think rifles (they call them "long guns") are not ok; handguns, never. On a trip to Newfoundland 14 years ago, we were asked at the ferry in Nova Scotia about potatoes and I think that has happened for some provinces sometimes. Kinda funny, because hardly any farm products grow in Newfoundland soil, so I don't think any produce would be a problem.

Radar detectors are not permitted in some provinces (Ontario was one) and territories, so check on that and hide them. It may be illegal to even own one in some places.

Also, Canadian speed limits are in kilometers. Multiply by .62 to get MPH. Just remember 100 KPH = 62 MPH.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Why are you transporting firewood anyway? It is against the law in Canada. Buy your firewood locally and what you don't use you leave. You can a huge fine for transporting firewood and so should you.
Yup!

Moving firewood from area to area is a good way to spread insects and diseases that can wipe out complete forests.

It is against the law to transport firewood between various areas within Provinces and States. The fines vary but in Canada the fines for moving firewood from a restricted area go as high as $50,000.00.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are crossing back into the US today at Port Huron/Sarnia. We go to Canada every year with our Cavalier. We left all fresh fruits and veggies with our Canadian AS friends. Last year was the first time we donated anything and it was tomatoes and bell peppers. We never tempt fate with citrus. We sport Texas plates and the hubs has a CHL. We always get the gun question. We tell them we know and respect their laws and leave the guns at home. Take the pup’s papers and hand them over with your passport before they ask. They always appreciate that. Pet food needs to be in its original container. I always scope out where I can get additional food if they were to comphiscate it and always bring an unopened bag with me as well. It’s never been an issue but I’d rather be over prepared. The pups love the cooler temps! Have fun!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote