Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
First day, first trip

Hello to the group! I just picked up my Sport 22 from the dealer yesterday! Super excited to join the Airstream community. Drove straight to the beach and camped last night. All was smooth towing my very first time with my VW Atlas.

One true rookie mistake... forgot to turn off the powered antenna during the walkthrough, and my battery was completely drained when I arrived at the campground. Hopefully my solar panel will recover the charge today.

Looking forward to meeting some of you along the way!

Jacob — at San Elijo State Beach Campgrounds.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
My own maiden voyage was about seven months ago. Still remember it well, and it is still a thrill to tow that great trailer down the road.
Welcome. Revel in the splendor of Airstream, but take time to read all the paperwork and manuals that came with your trailer. Flip every switch, turn every valve, power every appliance, operate every widgit. Enjoy the ride. Share your pics.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, I’m fairly new too, so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but even though you made that mistake, your battery should have been getting some electricity from the TV while you were driving. I don’t think the antenna would kill the battery while towing.
I’ve read here that often times dealers have these units sitting on their lots for months without the batteries charging and sometimes sell them with nearly dead batteries. I’d go back to the dealer for a new battery.
The Sport 22 has no inverter either, so it’s not likely that something else caused it. Was probably almost shot when you left.
Enjoy your Sport! We love ours. Although while the bed is super comfortable and cozy, it’s a pain climbing over each other in the middle of the night and even more so making it. Now we’re thinking about a 25 Globetrotter twin. Ha!
Have fun!
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Hello to the group! I just picked up my Sport 22 from the dealer yesterday! Super excited to join the Airstream community. Drove straight to the beach and camped last night. All was smooth towing my very first time with my VW Atlas.

One true rookie mistake... forgot to turn off the powered antenna during the walkthrough, and my battery was completely drained when I arrived at the campground. Hopefully my solar panel will recover the charge today.

Looking forward to meeting some of you along the way!

Jacob — at San Elijo State Beach Campgrounds.

Glad you have joined the Forum, and hope to run into you down the road... only one thing better then your first trip out::: that would be your second trip !
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	330031
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Congrats on your new AS! You're in for many years of great memories and this trip will be just one of them.
J.Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteed View Post
Glad you have joined the Forum, and hope to run into you down the road... only one thing better then your first trip out::: that would be your second trip !
Attachment 330031
I concur. And you will get better after every trip. You'll buy more things after each trip too.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Welcome to the group from #23456.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
Congratulations Prettygood! My rookie mistake on my first trip (weekend trip to a nearby state park) was attaching the water hose to the city water inlet (the one used to flush the black tank) and flooded the camper. Luckily I hadn't used the toilet yet so all that came up with pink winterizer. I was in a panic thinking I ruined the floors but luckily they were ok. As for the batteries, the dealer does not maintain them as the AS unit sits on the lot. Mine would not hold a charge properly. I never knew the root cause but I ended up buying 2 new Interstate batteries the first year of ownership and asking the dealer to reimburse me (which they did).
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

PG

First rule for new arrivals here....it didn't happen without photo's. 😂
Against protocol to just say you have an Airstream.
As Ronnie said, "trust but verify" 👍

As noted above, make sure you are charging thru the TV connection, it should have been working while you were on the road.
But again...the battery may have been shot right from the dealer, both ours were. 🥴 Interstate replaced them under warrantee.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on your first Adventure. Thank you for joining the forum. They are always available to share their experience and great advice. Have an awesome trip. The first of many. Merry Christmas!
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Problem with battery

Your tow vehicle would keep the battery well charged. Probably a battery problem. The recent 25 FC I purchased came with a completely dry battery. So capacity was low. Woke up after the first nights use to a dead unit, wife always loves stuff like that. It needed to be replaced (under warranty) upgraded to a set of AGM batteries (pricey).
Thiatt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
Prettygood,
Congrats on purchasing your new AS. So exciting! My first camping trip in our Flying Cloud was to a state park. Brought a couple with us to introduce them to their first camping experience. Trying to maneuver the trailer, I promptly backed into a steel garbage bin. Result: received my first scratch on the rear bumper. Totally embarrassed as everyone watched! Never noticed the bin back there.
Regarding your battery, My experience was that I did not inspect the battery fluid level. Just relied on charge level indicated on interior charge display. Shore power charging, over time, cooked the batteries. Replaced them with AGM batteries.
Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum. Lots of info to research, absorb and implement. The 22 is a great coach. Good choice. Now practice GOAL, be conservative and use that AS.

Travel safe. Do not let your schedule drive a bad result. Enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Thanks for everyone’s warm welcome. Really looking forward to meeting many of you over the coming years. In fact I just met a couple from Texas this morning!!

I’ll check the water level... may be the culprit.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
Congrats to you. What a wonderful Christmas present. Remember mistakes will happen, just take you time with everything you do and make check off list. They kept you in touch with your trailer. Maybe see you on the road one day. Remember to wave.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Take the trailer back to the dealer and get a new battery. If it was completely down the plates are damaged and will never be right. Yes the TV should have charged it while driving another sign that the battery is damaged.

Welcome to the Airstream club. Many more good days are coming your way. Merry Christmas [emoji320][emoji319]
Old 12-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Take the trailer back to the dealer and get a new battery. If it was completely down the plates are damaged and will never be right. Yes the TV should have charged it while driving another sign that the battery is damaged.

Welcome to the Airstream club. Many more good days are coming your way. Merry Christmas [emoji320][emoji319]

Thanks Julie-Bob. The dealer is 2 hours away, so I’m taking it in this morning to an Interstate store. Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Congrats - you are learning the way of the RV. Do what works for you and learn how to make the most smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Charleston , South Carolina
We've had issues with our batteries as well. I've had my unit back to our local dealership for punch list items and had the batteries retested (I had them tested at the time of delivery as well; the checked out perfectly) as they were not holding a charge. Dealer found a lose positive cable connection. They repaired it, recharged and retested the batteries and they checked out as good. We're taking it out for 5 days starting next Friday so we'll see how they perform.
J.Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Yaphank , Arizona
I had to replace my batteries after the first trip I had two dead cells interstate replaced them right away. The dealers do not properly maintain them on the lots. Have your batteries tested by an interstate dealer if they are bad they will replace them under warranty.
scroon is offline   Reply With Quote