Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...Today I hope to wash the Safari and at the least polish the plastic rock guards over the windows and the stainless steel rock guards. I have some Griot's Paint Sealant, and I'm eager to try it...
hi gene

unless the rock guards are scratched badly, skip the polishing step.

it's time consuming and if not done well will make them look worse.

it also removes any slickness that repels bugs and road debris, so the next cleaning will be more difficult...

instead clean them (soap/water) inside out and follow this with an alcohol based window cleaner....

THEN apply something that makes stuff SLICK (but not wax or sealant) like a detailer spray, but not rainx...

i'd suggest some specific brands/products but won't.

try the g' sealant on ONE circle of the toyata HOOD, or 1/2 the hood.

then check the look and durability NEXT MONTH.

it will save you the effort of doing the entire tube, perhaps.

segment protectors? again soap and water, followed by a simple solvent to remove tar...

then a quick wipe with oil based stainless spray like zep4stainless.

hiway 50 is pretty cool, it's easy to drive PAST the pull-offs so looking at a detailed 50 map and marking just a few helps.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Be very carefull driving around Salt Lake City, we go through very early in the morning. You can get
some cool t-shirts along 50.....it is indeed, lonely, but a great cruise.
Mike, thanks for the tip. The SLC area seems to go on and on and on. We'll stay south taking I-70 from Grand Junction, then cut north and west from Salina (or is it Salinas, or something like it?), Utah, pick up I-15 south for 10 or 15 miles, then make our way west to Delta, Utah where and take US 50 until we meet up with I-80 in western Nevada. We've done that leg many times and always enjoy the Nevada mountain ranges and wide valleys. There are plenty of places to boondock along the way, and we'll see what happens.

Coming back is another story—hard not to come through SLC. We'll deal with that in about 3 weeks. My theory of urban interstates is stay in the middle lane if there are 3 because that's the safest place to be. If there are 2, stay right because most of the turns are there. Change lanes and break above rules when necessary. Think way ahead. Study maps beforehand to see if there are left lane turns. And most of all, think about going around the area.

Gene

Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ego alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
In any case, I hope you will be posting from the road so we can all live vicariously through your adventures while we sit at home.
Rodney, I'll keep you posted because I like to write about myself.

Gene
Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi gene

unless the rock guards are scratched badly, skip the polishing step.

it's time consuming and if not done well will make them look worse.

it also removes any slickness that repels bugs and road debris, so the next cleaning will be more difficult...

instead clean them (soap/water) inside out and follow this with an alcohol based window cleaner....

THEN apply something that makes stuff SLICK (but not wax or sealant) like a detailer spray, but not rainx...

try the g' sealant on ONE circle of the toyata HOOD, or 1/2 the hood.

then check the look and durability NEXT MONTH.

it will save you the effort of doing the entire tube, perhaps.

segment protectors? again soap and water, followed by a simple solvent to remove tar...

then a quick wipe with oil based stainless spray like zep4stainless.

hiway 50 is pretty cool, it's easy to drive PAST the pull-offs so looking at a detailed 50 map and marking just a few helps.

cheers
2air'
2air,

I have a plastic polish for the window rock guards and have used it twice. They seem to stay pretty clean and there's no chance of damaging the plastic. Mostly they collect dust out here in the dusty West. I only use Rainex on glass on the truck—not recommended for plastic as it is a petroleum based product.

I used wax on the stainless panels last Spring and they looked terrible. I haven't noticed things sticking to the wax. That's when I learned the panels were stainless so I'm going to try a generic metal polish we have here and has worked well on some sheet metal we have in the kitchen.

I'll probably do a small part of the trailer with the Griot's to see how it goes. I doubt I'll have time to do more.

All will get washed with mild soap and water first.

Not knowing when we'll leave on Tuesday—could be anywhere from 10 am to 1 pm based on previous first day experiences (just getting the refrigerator loaded seems to take 1/2 hour or more), we'll probably make it to Green R., Utah, and be glad to be babied in an RV park. Next day we get to Nevada after crossing through Skull Valley in western Utah (one of my favorite western place names). We could go up to Great Basin NP and stay in one of their campgrounds, or keep going west and stop off near the road somewhere. Perhaps the Nevada mountain ranges have FS campgrounds, but I can't remember.

Gene
Old 09-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #33
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Whatever; get moving, pics?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Sooooper

Much good luck on what sounds like a wonderful adventure.

Sandra and I like to travel the same way, as you can tell by my tag line.

Not a lot of plans, just a start and stop time.

We ended up in Ft. Bridger WY. completely by accident, well worth it.

Same thing at Wind Cave S.D.

Have a GREAT time.

Stream Safe

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Gene, leave those waxes alone and go!

"Fair winds and following seas", as boaters wish one another.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Gene, leave those waxes alone and go!

"Fair winds and following seas", as boaters wish one another.
Aage, wish I could. Tuesday's the day, clean things now.

The metal polish ("Mr. Metal") did a much better job on the stainless than wax. Now it looks like it did when we bought the Safari. I guess it wouldn't be named Mr.Metal if "he" didn't know what he was doing.

Got a lot of bugs off with a bug remover. Tomorrow I'll polish the rock guard windows and try some Griot's. I'm not doing the whole thing because then I can't see the difference and I'll be getting ready to go anyway.

I sure want to go right now!

Gene
Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #37
_

. , .
Nevada's Highway 50

The Loneliest Road in America

as u must already know, turning around, backing up or slowing down while towing can be a challenge.

many of the things i like to stop and gawk at on 50 are poorly signed and have only one pull out.

the shoetree, the sand dunes the petroglyphs and so on.

also there are many 'rest/camping areas' that are just 50-100 yards off the road and behind a berm or pile of desert....

so 2-3 minutes after pulling off the lonely road, one can REALLY find solitude for lunch or a nap or both...

hiway 50 rocks but are u qualified?

"Brave young men carried mail between St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California.
To become a rider, the requirement was-'young, skinny, wiry fellow not over eighteen.
Must be expert rider willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred."

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
But 2air, wouldn't having a GPS help that? I would never leave home without mine!

Many of them put monuments and such in their database, then tell you a pretty precise distance to it...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good Genes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hiway 50 rocks but are u qualified?

"Brave young men carried mail between St. Joseph, Missouri, and Sacramento, California.
To become a rider, the requirement was-'young, skinny, wiry fellow not over eighteen.
Must be expert rider willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred."

cheers
2air'
2air, don't worry. A long ago relative of Barb's was a Pony Express rider and so she is qualified. It's in her genes.

Gene(s)
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #40

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Here's a site we use a lot when traveling in the fall. Happy trails.
USDA Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Mike. I clicked and got the "Fall colors" page. I always forget the NW resembles the NE (as in Northeast) in the Fall and we'll check into that when we're on the road. Since we don't know where we're going after we turn east from the coast, maybe this will help us determine where to go. In the NE colors don't usually change until October. Is it earlier in the NW?

I was thinking about going east of the Coast Range in Oregon and seeing that area where we've haven't been—Corvalis, Eugene. But I'd like to check out some of the Snake R. area in NE Oregon. And we've driven along the north side of the Columbia Gorge, but not much of the south side. When we went to Mt. St. Helens, it was covered in fog, so we could go back there. There seem to be some FS areas just west of Bend worth exploring. And, so it goes—too much to see. This is when fulltiming seems like a good idea, though I think we would have to take 5 or 10 years to see everything. We haven't even seen everything in Colorado.

Gene
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #42

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We are full time and run with the weather, whim and wonder. Eastern Oregon is nice:
John Day country in the north and Malhuer NWR to the south. Crater Lake is a must.
Roads are fine,no big pulls like the Rockies. If you're out of wi-fi range, the FS has a
toll-free #800.354.4595.