Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osoyoos , british columbia
puzzled

My 74 Sovereign has these decals throughout. On the light covers they say to ccw to open, the entire central control is labelled, fridge says 225watts, oven...check latch, vanity lights...A/V out, 12 v in, and caution! Switch gets hit. On counter...breaker box below, and so on. Can anyone tell me anything about that? I realize these are about function and safety, but they are also a step above home label notes.
blueheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
sounds like some PO's notes to self?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Someone mentioned the possibility of being used as a safety trailer at one time. No, they are more formal than notes to self, what is a safety trailer?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm with dznf0g in guessing that these labels are aftermarket. In most '70s Airstreams they don't even label the water pump switch, it's just a switch on the wall near the sink.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ok, thanks all!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, an OCD previous owner. Type A personality who loves numbers. I say that being one of them myself, but I try to hide it most of the time. I put my numbers on yellow pads and then lose them or look at them later and say "now, what were those numbers for"
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might have been notes from one owner to the next owner, to help them acclimate to and function within their new unit.

I can think of two occasions where we would have asked for these, if we had it to do over.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Notes from the wife to the absent minded husband.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Yes, an OCD previous owner. Type A personality who loves numbers. I say that being one of them myself, but I try to hide it most of the time. I put my numbers on yellow pads and then lose them or look at them later and say "now, what were those numbers for"
Hey, fall I used a label maker and labeled every circuit in the power center......then made similar notes like OP has but I hid them under the propane cover lid.
Getting more and more forgetful all the time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Labels in a TT (any RV type) really are a good idea. The quality of them is what is at issue, not the need (over desire). Plenty of folks are unacquainted with RV's in general . . these are not houses.

There was a recent fire at the storage facility where I keep the '76 as I prep it for sale. Three motorhomes ablaze when the fire department arrived. And twelve moho's and 5'ers consumed before they got it out (typically high-wind spring day down here).

I have to wonder, first, whether it was an electrical failure (it was my first thought) and, second, if labels would have helped.

Labels that do more than just ID "water pump" or "reading light", but also indicate the electrical circuit and whether 12V or 120V. Etc.

RV's do bounce around. Get older. Are subjected to high heat & humidity, or below freezing temps . . and they just don't have the thermal mass of a house to slow down the effects. (We'll not get into construction quality/QC problems). Things loosen up over time.

Could be that just one electrical circuit was overloaded (these spaces feature cover and electrical service. Most of us run at least a de-humidifier when in long-term storage), when the "load" might have been divided between several circuits. Alarms of all sorts, video security cameras, etc. Big moho's seem to be highly electrical dependent and hungry.

Very nice labels that actually last for a decade or more would be great. And tell more than a partial story.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Do you have to pay extra to have electrical service at hour storage facility? I would love to have a dehimidifier running in our Streamline while in storage.

Also, labels are a great idea. Will have to get our labelmaker out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Labels in a TT (any RV type) really are a good idea. The quality of them is what is at issue, not the need (over desire). Plenty of folks are unacquainted with RV's in general . . these are not houses.

There was a recent fire at the storage facility where I keep the '76 as I prep it for sale. Three motorhomes ablaze when the fire department arrived. And twelve moho's and 5'ers consumed before they got it out (typically high-wind spring day down here).

I have to wonder, first, whether it was an electrical failure (it was my first thought) and, second, if labels would have helped.

Labels that do more than just ID "water pump" or "reading light", but also indicate the electrical circuit and whether 12V or 120V. Etc.

RV's do bounce around. Get older. Are subjected to high heat & humidity, or below freezing temps . . and they just don't have the thermal mass of a house to slow down the effects. (We'll not get into construction quality/QC problems). Things loosen up over time.

Could be that just one electrical circuit was overloaded (these spaces feature cover and electrical service. Most of us run at least a de-humidifier when in long-term storage), when the "load" might have been divided between several circuits. Alarms of all sorts, video security cameras, etc. Big moho's seem to be highly electrical dependent and hungry.

Very nice labels that actually last for a decade or more would be great. And tell more than a partial story.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
At my storage facility, the spaces with electrical power cost more than the ones without. Now I'm nervous, the trailer behind my Argosy has been plugged in since I started using the space in 2011, and I think its registration expired in '09. It hasn't moved in the entire time I've been parking there, no even enough to dislodge any of the thick layer of dust. It's not ancient, either, it's a Jayflight, I think an '07 model. Hopefully the fuses and breakers will keep it from bursting into flame... for all I know the fuses blew when it boiled all the water out of the battery before I ever parked there.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
At my storage facility, the spaces with electrical power cost more than the ones without. Now I'm nervous, the trailer behind my Argosy has been plugged in since I started using the space in 2011, and I think its registration expired in '09. It hasn't moved in the entire time I've been parking there, no even enough to dislodge any of the thick layer of dust. It's not ancient, either, it's a Jayflight, I think an '07 model. Hopefully the fuses and breakers will keep it from bursting into flame... for all I know the fuses blew when it boiled all the water out of the battery before I ever parked there.
So I'm at the storage facility to do some projects and I looked at the trailer behind mine again. Its tags expired in 2006. It's a 2004 trailer. I wonder if its used value is as much as they've spent storing it for 6.5 years.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So I'm at the storage facility to do some projects and I looked at the trailer behind mine again. Its tags expired in 2006. It's a 2004 trailer. I wonder if its used value is as much as they've spent storing it for 6.5 years.
I'm sure that happens a lot. There are a number of vehicles at our storage yard that cant be worth more than $500. So why pay to store an old car? I'm talking Pintos, nothing rare or unusual.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Uncovered, but within a chain link is worth $40/month to me. Covered, with electric was just over $100/month when last I used it. Depends on TT value.

The OP was asking about labels. I speculated their value was greater than simple convenience . . they are a good reminder when double-checking the TT for a variety of reasons.

The OP now has "permission" to go and improve his labels to hearts content. Any spousal opposition to label-making machinery/software has been overcome per this thread (the real reason we all post these questions). "Gosh, dear, all these other folks say . . . ."

Of course, one must follow up with the threads on fire extinguishers, hard-wired smoke alarms, and HALON refrigerator cabinet systems

We need be as careful of what we include as what we exclude.

OP, how about some pics. Sounds like what you have might be a nice template. The worlds militarys often have great labelling on components and switches (especially navies).

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yes, never thought to add a pic...these are a few.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130417_075539.png
Views:	124
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	183561

Name:	ForumRunner_20130417_075603.png
Views:	133
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	183562

Name:	ForumRunner_20130417_075618.png
Views:	140
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	183563
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Notes from the wife to the absent minded husband.

Other way around??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, OP. Looks to me like a good way to learn things. And maybe update or condense them as time goes on.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
I find this in my closet, can anyone tell me what this is?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Woops, must add pic...can anyone tell me what this is about? It's in my closet.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130712_103302.png
Views:	125
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	190757