Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hudson , Florida
Red face Any other 1956 SS Rockets out there?

I hope someone finds me in here. I would like to know if any one out there has a vintage Silver Streak Rocket. I have a 1956 and would like to know if any one has had a go at restoring one! Mine is in really good condition it is just a little bit ruff around the edges. It also seems taboo to ask what it
would be worth restored. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Thanks To The Knowing!
Rosie the Riveter
rosieriveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
hello--I was out working on my airstream Bubble this afternoon and my oldest son's friend's dad came over to pick up his boy. He said--i have one of those old alluminum trailers sitting out at one of my farms--"it's gutted out and needs a ton of work but the outside's in pretty good shape--if you want you can have it --i'll just give it to you for free" he said. Man--what are hard thing to pass up. however, I'm realizing what it takes (dollar wise) to rebuild a trailer. When i was on a pizza run i had to go out to his farm to check it out. it's a cool looking rocket 28 footer model but needs lots and lots, and lots of money to make roadworthy. I need someone to talk me out of throwing some spare tires on it and crawling home with it. The skin is good minus one dent by the door, a couple holes from old vents and several of the old windows were toast and boarded up to keep water out. it needs more work than my bubble did that's for sure as the bubble's exterior is solid. do you know much about the rocket model or silverstreaks in general? I know they're not as collectable as airstreams but still interesting. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If I lived closer I would be on my knees begging you for that.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieriveter View Post
It also seems taboo to ask what it would be worth restored.
i am fairly new to this whole "restore a trailer" thing, but one thing i know for sure is that it isnt a money making kind of project. while i might make a few grand selling my restored trailer, i know that if i calculate the man hours involved in restoring vs payoff, i can fairly confidently say you'd make more $$ working at McDonalds.

lots of threads here on value of trailers, but they seem to be like houses - it depends on demand, rarity, quality, etc.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
yes it's money

i agree with you--it takes a ton of cash to restore a trailer. i'm sticking with my bubble rebuild as i'd rather do one up royally nice than 2 average. it's still hard to say no to free--but wisdom tells me otherwise. i'll wait to see if someone's really interested in it and help him at least sell it sometime down the road. free is still too rich for my blood when i calculate the pain, agony and dollars to restore! cheers--ted

ps feel free to check out my "1956 bubble rebuild start to finish" (i think that's the title of the thread i started. have a good day.
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Gee, my Airstream is done, free would be a pretty good starting price for my next project

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags