Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I wonder if the Bowlus would feel quite a bit more narrow than a 23FB. And as excited as I am about this, mainly due to its craftsmanship and ability to tow with almost anything - $100k would buy both a new leftover 25FB and a new Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel...
The original Bowlus trailers were only 6 feet wide, compared to your modern Airstream's 8 1/2 foot width. I couldn't find any dimensions on their web site except for height. The specified 6 ' 4" interior height is a little taller than the original; don't know about the width.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
The original Bowlus trailers were only 6 feet wide, compared to your modern Airstream's 8 1/2 foot width. I couldn't find any dimensions on their web site except for height. The specified 6 ' 4" interior height is a little taller than the original; don't know about the width.
If you look at the video, it shows it being towed by a Saab convertible and it doesn't look too awfully narrow.

JOhn S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The website says it's "wider" than the original, but I don't see max width specs either. Also remember that a 23FB is only 8' wide - the 25+ foot AS gain the extra half foot.

Anywho, I look forward to hearing from JDS after he gets to take a look.

Tom
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The thing I don't like is there doesn't seem to be any stabilizers. If you have less then 200lb tongue weight and put 400lbs of people in the rear beds, whats going to keep the tongue on the ground?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
If you look at the video, it shows it being towed by a Saab convertible and it doesn't look too awfully narrow.

JOhn S.
The 9-3 is just over 70" wide, so eyeballing it I'd guess the Road chief is just over 7' wide outside... maybe 7'6" at most.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #46
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The 9-3 is just over 70" wide, so eyeballing it I'd guess the Road chief is just over 7' wide outside... maybe 7'6" at most.
My 23' Int'l. is 8' wide, so it may be in the ball park.

John S.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
I called the company and will be trying to arrange an in person visit. I need to see if it can work for us and can't really tell from the pictures.
A personal visit and look at the prototype trailer would certainly be prudent before putting down any money. Where are they, by the way? The "about us" page of their web site doesn't give any location.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #48
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
A personal visit and look at the prototype trailer would certainly be prudent before putting down any money. Where are they, by the way? The "about us" page of their web site doesn't give any location.
They're outside of Malibu, CA. The trailers are currently being built in Toronto, Canada (they're originally from Canada) but the production will transition soon to their location near Malibu (I think it's Oxnard). Helena mentioned that they will be in the New York Times this week and I think I recall that she said they may appear on Good Morning America or something like it. She said that the level of interest has been quite high.

John S.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
They sound really nice but steep in price. I read through the site and watched the video. There is a perception that this is as some already mentioned, exclusive and meant to be so with such wording as "limited production" but I must admit that it is appealing. Anyone who is an Airstreamer would have to recognize the critical elements - 2024 grade alclad aluminum, aluminum frame and all the niceties of a modern trailer - LED, AC, electronics, etc., plus the fact that it can be towed by a regular higher mpg vehicle and is storable in a regular sized garage. Those are major benefits. Oh, what about that door that lets you store things inside like the kayak- great idea.

How different though than Wally's idea. Not too long ago I read the Airstream Story. He wanted to build an "affordable" trailer for people.

I don't know but perhaps it is only my bank account that says it is out of reach. I choke at the Airstream prices new let alone $30-40K more. I wonder how it will effect Airstream? Hope they take notes!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I wonder how it will effect Airstream? Hope they take notes!
Airstream has a secret weapon! Arctic Dijon and Obsidian Violet colored floors. No Joke!

Airstream, Inc :: Photos & Decor
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One of Andrew Thomsons musings about the potentially highest mpg TV -- a 3-series BMW sedan, IIRC -- would sure make a great pair with this.

I've always admired the aero work this TT represents, at least in the trailing section . . and am gratified to read of the quality of the interior appointments! I wish them the best of luck, and I really hope to see one someday.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #52
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
It appears that it will be late spring until the prototype gets out my way - patience is not exactly my long suit!

John S.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #53
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
We've seen a couple Road Chief's and my wild guesstimate is the 2013 model must be 30% to 60% bigger. I hope they sell a bunch of them. When they have one to see I'm sure we will make a day trip down to Malibu. Next time someone calls them, ask when can we expect the Papoose model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowlus RC interior1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	178276   Click image for larger version

Name:	bowlus papoose.jpg
Views:	1588
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	178277  

Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
They're outside of Malibu, CA. The trailers are currently being built in Toronto, Canada (they're originally from Canada) but the production will transition soon to their location near Malibu (I think it's Oxnard). Helena mentioned that they will be in the New York Times this week and I think I recall that she said they may appear on Good Morning America or something like it. She said that the level of interest has been quite high.

John S.
Malibu? I'm only 45 minutes away! You can count on my seeing it in person in a couple months. My better half is working a crazy schedule right now and if I went without her.... well... I wouldn't be left with any ability to report back to you all on what I found. Maybe they'll let me do a video tour for the Airforums.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Pretty slick, indeed.

... and I really like those interior lash points for bringing along (easily) toys such as bikes or a kayak. Are you listening, Airstream?
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Reminds me of an old girlfriend of mine. Pretty to look at on the outside, but missing a lot on the inside. I'll keep my Airstream.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I think that they are really cool, but too expensive. I wonder what they will sell for on the used market.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #58
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The price isn't so expensive as that Americans no longer take home their share of the national income in re rising productivity coupled to rising incomes. Americans are simply poorer than they used to be once this connection was broken 30+years ago. By between 50 & 80% in annual wages over present.

An all-aluminum, aerodynamic TT is potentially a lifelong acquisition. The typical American, employed full-time, will waste far more than this amount in depreciation on personal vehicles sold or traded long before the economic value is depleted in the course of his working lifetime.

Better choices in one area can underwrite others. Same for a fixed annual vehicle fuel budget . . learn to use it better and completely underwrite vacation travel on the same amount of $$.

There are quite a few ways to consider a TT of this type (including a generic new Airstream), and to make it work.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
... and I really like those interior lash points for bringing along (easily) toys such as bikes or a kayak. Are you listening, Airstream?
To give the Bowlus its due, that is one advantage of the front door arrangement--you can put a long skinny object like a kayak inside the trailer. Couldn't get most kayaks into most Airstreams (except for those built as toy haulers) on account of the side door.

If the feature proves popular, it wouldn't be too hard for Airstream to add a hatch in one end for that purpose. I think I would prefer a rear loading door. That way it would be fully accessible when the trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #60
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
So once you load the kayak through the front door, where do you put it? And, tie it down?