Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Update: during heavy rain, rear door is leaking

I have it parked on my sloped driveway (so the rear end is abnormally high). Will investigate it more today/tonight.
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #22
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
Update: during heavy rain, rear door is leaking

I have it parked on my sloped driveway (so the rear end is abnormally high). Will investigate it more today/tonight.
Hi trd09,

We're very sorry to learn about the leak in your new Basecamp X. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi trd09,

We're very sorry to learn about the leak in your new Basecamp X. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Thanks. PM sent.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
Was wondering why you went with the X version and were you able to negotiate a fair Percentage below msrp?
jeola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeola View Post
Was wondering why you went with the X version and were you able to negotiate a fair Percentage below msrp?
I went with the X version mostly for the segment protectors and window rock shields. Also, the lift kit and AT tires pair nicely with my tow vehicle.

Got a very fair discount...paid around $36k
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Update: appears door is not latching properly on the top of the door, which may be the source of the leak. When the door is closed, I can pry the top open.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Update 2: I adjusted the striker plate then gave the door a good slam from the middle of the door. Its sealing tightly. Will report back.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The door should not require "a good slam" to latch correctly FYI, so put this on the dealer list for fixes, in addition to the fridge.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Update 2: I adjusted the striker plate then gave the door a good slam from the middle of the door. Its sealing tightly. Will report back.

We had the same issue about a year in. All that was needed was adjusting and it fixed the issue. We had it done with other fixes last time we took it in but it’s worth it to know how to diy for sure. Glad you got it done without wasting valuable camping time
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
We had the same issue about a year in. All that was needed was adjusting and it fixed the issue. We had it done with other fixes last time we took it in but it’s worth it to know how to diy for sure. Glad you got it done without wasting valuable camping time
Per Otra's note: how hard is it to close the rear door on your Basecamp? On mine, I need to shut it from the middle of the door with a good amount of force.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
It doesn’t take much force to shut now but It was impossible before adjusted though and leaked horribly
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
I would think though the tighter the seal the less chance of leaking so if it is not too hard to latch I would be satisfied
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
if it is not too hard to latch I would be satisfied
This sets a pretty low bar for quality and satisfaction, does it not?

A door that fits well should only require enough force to compress the weatherstripping lightly, and then the latch should click shut.

No slamming and no "hard to latch" IMO. Airstream doors are very easy to bend, if you know what you are doing, to achieve water-tightness without any "slam" force. Our FC20 door required some adjustment like this, and it took the mechanic about 5 minutes to do it.

Peter
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
I would think though the tighter the seal the less chance of leaking so if it is not too hard to latch I would be satisfied
Thanks. Just verified no leaking. I'll hold off on addressing now -- maybe during a future trip to Jackson Center. I literally never use the back door so I'm fine as long as it's sealed.

Only open issues are the roll up blinds becoming unglued and the fridge performance (which hasn't burned me yet...hoping for an "end all" service bulletin).
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks. Just verified no leaking. I'll hold off on addressing now -- maybe during a future trip to Jackson Center. I literally never use the back door so I'm fine as long as it's sealed.

Only open issues are the roll up blinds becoming unglued and the fridge performance (which hasn't burned me yet...hoping for an "end all" service bulletin).
For reference, here's a pic of what I'm experiencing with the blinds. I might end up fixing this myself with some 3M VHB tape (had very good experiences with it in the past).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180817-130429_Gallery.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	320123  
Old 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI just came across this Colonial blog post:

https://www.colonialrv.com/blog/2019...ale-need-know/

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Old 08-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Denton , Texas
I bought a used 2017 BC.
Last week I was in Oklahoma and it rained sideways going East then the wind changed and the rain started sideways going West. No leaks in my basecamp.

I am trying to figure out the best way to make a comfortable half bed. Does anyone have any design ideas to make a comfy bed in the back of a BC?
Rak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #38

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
Airstream does offer a upfit package to make yours. X model it you want. Just contact a Airstream dealership for the info
Rvdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak187 View Post
I bought a used 2017 BC.
Last week I was in Oklahoma and it rained sideways going East then the wind changed and the rain started sideways going West. No leaks in my basecamp.

I am trying to figure out the best way to make a comfortable half bed. Does anyone have any design ideas to make a comfy bed in the back of a BC?
I'd measure and cut a foam mattress pad. I've found the stock cushions to be perfectly adequate...could just use a little more padding for those who prefer softer mattresses.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
We took our 2018 out on a cross country trip. 6&1/2 weeks in 16 feet. The fridge if anything was overly cold. Threw out frozen lettuce a few times. Only issue was the dust that came in the rear door from a dirt road we drove on for 2hours. Everything had to be cleaned. I too am wondering if there is a retro fit for those stone and window guards.
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote