Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandSue View Post
Our Basecamp is at the dealer for the 3rd time for leaks on front windows and at the bottom right side of fridge. We store ours in the garage so the only time we see leaks is when we use it. Hoping 3rd time is a charm.
Hi ChrisandSue,*

We're very sorry to learn about the leaks you are having. I know you have another appointment, but if there is anything that we can assist with, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
We picked up our Basecamp from the dealer today. Attached is a photograph of the repair to the vent that was made in response to the water leakage. They cleaned, dried and sealed with Airstream Black Ad-Seal. Took off the front of the refrigerator vent and replaced the seal. They removed the LP cover and installed new plastic seals on the outer door to upper lower frig compartment. We're going to use the Basecamp this coming weekend. Almost hoping it rains to make sure these fixes work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent repair.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	324001
ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
2018/2017 Leaking Basecamp

Count me in on the disappointment. Have had a leak in my 23’, over dinette, since I purchased brand new in 2018. It’s been to JC/dealers 3 times and they say they’ve found it ... but as soon as it rains - it’s dripping on my freakin’ parade! Jackson investigated first: ran a waterfall test: couldn’t replicate the problem. Took it to the Atlanta Service Center - told they calked all external roof ports. Leaked on the return trip home. Took it to Mississippi SC and they ran it under a pressure test for two hours. Found two areas that needed to be sealed. Drove home again in rainstorm and again it leaked! Returning back to Jackson in Dec and hope something will be done!

To be brutally honest I wish I’d never purchased it. She’s such a pretty pearl - but a wet one. Will never buy another AS again.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
I had a leak in a previous fiberglass rv that just about made me insane. After weeks of checking every possible water point of entry and double sealing every entry the leak was finally found. You mentioned over the dinette (I assuming this a front dinette). The leak was the Fantastic fan. Not the frame as it joined the roof but rather water entering into the hinge area. The hinge is secured vertically on one side of the assembly and the leak was in this area. I called Fantastic and they stated this hinge area has been known to leak.. They offered to rebuild the unit if I would remove and send them the entire fan. My solution was to use a vent cover - the type that allows use in the rain. i applied caulk and a rubber gasket to deflect rain to sides in the front area of the vent cover - this completely closed the front gap between the roof and the cover preventing water from accessing the fan hinge area. Hope this may help.
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud

Martin - the leak was present with the original fan (Fantastic Fan): later replaced because it was defective. So I paid for the upgrade difference and had them install a Maxfan ( love this fan btw!) and seal that sucker in. No luck, leak remains and is coming from a seam inside over the dinette.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
This might help in indicating the seam which drips.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	324007

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Remarkable how many problems this Basecamp roll-out is still having IMO. Just look at the list in this Basecamp forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

Are you new BC owners familiar with the Simple Survey thread about fridge performance in hot weather, when the black propane cover is sitting in direct sun?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinod View Post
. . .
. . . Hope this may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannadannna View Post
. . .
Do you both realize you are posting in the Basecamp forum? You might find a better audience, as well as helpful suggestions, in these forums IMO:

23D: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ad-166085.html
23FB: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/the-23fb-forum-166374.html
FC: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542/

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #49
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Count me in on the disappointment. Have had a leak in my 23’, over dinette, since I purchased brand new in 2018. It’s been to JC/dealers 3 times and they say they’ve found it ... but as soon as it rains - it’s dripping on my freakin’ parade! Jackson investigated first: ran a waterfall test: couldn’t replicate the problem. Took it to the Atlanta Service Center - told they calked all external roof ports. Leaked on the return trip home. Took it to Mississippi SC and they ran it under a pressure test for two hours. Found two areas that needed to be sealed. Drove home again in rainstorm and again it leaked! Returning back to Jackson in Dec and hope something will be done!

To be brutally honest I wish I’d never purchased it. She’s such a pretty pearl - but a wet one. Will never buy another AS again.
Quote:
Martin - the leak was present with the original fan (Fantastic Fan): later replaced because it was defective. So I paid for the upgrade difference and had them install a Maxfan ( love this fan btw!) and seal that sucker in. No luck, leak remains and is coming from a seam inside over the dinette.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Quote:
Attachment 324007
Since this thread is model-specific to the new Basecamp, you might be better served by posting in the 23' forum. The Basecamp is completely different from other Airstreams, and any answers or solutions found here may not translate to your trailer.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Yes sorry about that. I suppose I should start a thread for ALL 2017- current AS leaks. To be honest I didn’t think that the forum would help in this matter, other than vent my absolute disgust with quality of Airstream. In this matter. My apologies for the thread intrusion.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
If the leak is coming from the top seam on the roof near the front I would think application
of Eternabond tape would be a solution. Having been in the medium sized sailboat business some
years ago, leaks were a common warranty problem and had to be cured from the outside as
removal of the inside fiberglass liners and such was impossible. Any leak can be fixed on a
pemenant basis with the correct material. Today there are a sizable number of high tech sealers that
should easily rectify your problem. Any capable technician should be able to determine the location
and repair. I am amazed Jackson Center did not repair the first time. Eternabond tape would not be
visible from and ground standing position. Do not throw in the towel. There many experienced
mobile rv service techs and others that can rectify this situation quickly in my estimation. ]
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud

Since this applies to Basecamps I trust it’s okay to add to the thread.

I was told by two service center professionals at Jackson Center that “All Airstreams leak at some point in their life.” That unfortunately sometimes the leak can not be located for whatever reason. If the leak is found and documented with a dealer or AS within its warranty that any damage which results from the leak will be covered for the life of the trailer.

Thanks Martinod for the info. [emoji4]

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #53

2017 Basecamp
Punta gorda , Florida
Awful trailer

We have the base camp and have the same roof leak and have brought it back to the dealer 4 times. We are getting ready to bring it back for the 5 th time you think airstream would fix the problem but blame everyone else. So disappointing for a top of the line trailer.
Leaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #54

2017 Basecamp
Punta gorda , Florida
We also have the airstream base camp which has more water inside than out. Have brought it to the dealer 4 times. We are getting ready to bring it back John Puckett was supposed to call us back to solve the problem but has not. It’s sad when you buy a top of the line camper and have camped only a handful of times but have spent more time at the dealer. Jahn zynda
Leaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
I can't speak to 2017/2018 models. After 15 months, including outside storage in a couple of feet of snow, our 2019 Basecamp X has had no leaks.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:46 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Dallas , Texas
We have a 2018 Basecamp with the same water leak coming thru the refrigerator vents. On top of that, the refrigerator and air conditioner has stopped working. I am having the refrigerator replaced with an all electric so that the vents can be sealed off. It is frustrating that Airstream will not acknowledge the problem on the 2018’s when it’s the same design as the 2017 with regards to the vent leak. Did you ever get Airstream to help out with your leak?
Owensmc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
We have a 2017 in the shop right now. the owner has had it since new. It has also had multiple leaks since new. With multiple trips to the dealer, and it still leaks and has a soft rear floor.

Appointment was made in JC, and even with 5 years of failed service records, they refused to fix it at zero cost to customer.

We replaced the thoroughly cracked black plastic "halo trim", removed, cleaned and replaced "membrane tape" between the roof and side walls with eternabond tape (thicker, stickier and more robust)
Installed new plastic halo trim, sealing rivets, roof side edge and seams with 3m 5200.(black)

Installed the aluminum channel trim with sealant in the screw holes, and sealed the top of it with black sika 252.

It no longer leaks.

It used to leak at rear roof, water would travel long distances in the aluminum "halo" and pour out between the skin and rear door frame when edge guard removed.

Poorly built, with EXTREMELY poor customer service IMO. Who doesn't honor nearly half a decade of DOCUMENTED problems for the original owner?
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Owensmc59. The refrigerator vents needed new gaskets every time they are removed. Our dealership didn’t know that when working on the fridge, so they leaked in the rain. They have not leaked since new gaskets were installed. However, 5 years later I am concerned with the creaking flooring due to all that puddling of water. And since then, we had the window guards installed, the window leaks now in the center inside -EVERY TIME it rains. I did not take it back to the dealership or call airstream. I was sick of the dealership keeping it 3-5 months at a time and ending up with more problems. In 2 years of warranty the dealership had it half the time.
Capastel is offline   Reply With Quote