Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
How about a vertical reefer style door handle from the '59 to appr. '61 models? These are in pretty high demand. Here's a picture of the whole unit. The handle is what breaks usually just below the lock.

FF
I would buy one of these as well. the on on my 59 is already starting to fracture.

I will be getting a piece of aluminum soon and trying to make a replacement.

Some new old stock of these showed up and went for several hundred dollars.

The handle is the part in demand. If that part could be replicated in billet aluminum with the pivot having a feral pressed in for the wear point it would sell. Its a relatively simple design that a CNC mill would be able to kick out fairly easy. Doing it in aluminum would make it easier on the mill.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 AM   #22

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I'm in! I have a 75 tradewind and was thinking of having one made already. If these are done well I would love to buy one! Can't wait to see pics.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

I imagine that the door handle assembly is somewhat complicated. The students will probably need an actual assembly to work with, or maybe just some very detailed measurements and photos from all angles. I'll run the part idea and the above photo by the prof. and see what he says. I'll also post the photo's of the plaques just as soon as I get them.
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16672

I know I'm not really worried about it having the lock. My lock cylinder is junk and I don't even have the key for it. My coach has a dead bolt on it for security.

The rest of the machining is pretty straight forward.

I am not sure mine is a good candidate for a sample. Its pretty worn and it doesn't close properly since its about to break.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #25
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Bargman L-77 handle

Once again, I will remind folks who need a replacement handle for the L-77 Bargman handle to contact a gent who is willing to have a go at duplicating that handle if at least 6 people express interest.
Reference: post #25 of http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=bargman
New lock cylinders are available:
http://www.nwlock.com/products_i1549...ml?catId=70792

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thread From 2005

Doing some research as I have redoing the emblems on our 71 on the to do list. Found this interesting - then it just appears to have died.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
There are lots of companies willing to manufacture these old parts. Steve at Vintagetrailersupply.com has done some great work. All you have to do is supply a sample. Somebody get out there and get these things resourced! We will need you sooner than you think.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
How about the plastic cabinet latches for the lower cabinets on a '68, and the upper plastic closures (for the overheads)??? Mine are snapping off at an alarming rate!!

I know inland has the lowers on his site but, they are a little pricey (for how many I need)- and in truth, they are a bit ugly to spend money on- but they really work!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
How about the plastic cabinet latches for the lower cabinets on a '68, and the upper plastic closures (for the overheads)??? Mine are snapping off at an alarming rate!!

I know inland has the lowers on his site but, they are a little pricey (for how many I need)- and in truth, they are a bit ugly to spend money on- but they really work!!
They are the same exact uglyness as the original latches.

We have the original Airstream molds for those parts.

The colors. brown and white, are also exactly the same.

Injection type plastic molds, normally, run about $20,000.00 (twenty thousand) dollars each to create.

That in itself, stops us from having some other molds made as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
outstanding idea!

I teach at a vocational high school where we teach the trades. Do to lack of enrollment we closed our machine shop, and next year we will close construction, computer technologies plus horticulture. If you follow the news you can see that this country does not produce or have people to fill some very important trade positions. Hands on real world projects is what many students like and need. Theory can only take you so far. When students can use theory and application they learn how the world turns.

I would think Airstream could benefit from this type of project as long as it does not take away from their business. This would supply them and the other industries with trained professionals. These are our children we are talking about training. The employees at airstream have children also that they want to see become successful.

I have spent my life working with youth and I am alarmed at how so many are not signing up to take programs related to the trades. Career and Technical education is very important for our future. We just can't keep out sourcing work.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So no one knows how to make jack anymore.... that is great for me. I have worked with my hands my entire life. As fewer people learn how to make and fix things, the demand for my skills will only increase. Who knows, maybe someday carpenters will be payed as much as lawyers. Electricians and plumbers are almost there now. If I could just make $450/ hour like the Anesthesiologist that did my wife's epidermal, well I would be set. I know, I know,.. chime in with the medical school costs and insurance. I spent 75k on my education and have spent close to 35k on my shop and equipment. I own it out right and owe no one a dime.
I recently went through a long and difficult search for a very hard to find 46" drip cap. I got very lucky and was able to find one that another forums member had purchased and not used yet. During the search I spoke with at least a dozen RV salvage companies. One of the things I found is that there are very few parts trailers out there. If you are looking for a vintage one, well forget it. During my search I contacted Airstream first, for they advertise in the Blue Beret that they service the vintage fleet. I received an email telling me that no parts were stocked for pre 1969 models and I should contact Inland RV( that sentence is almost a direct quote from the email and was the full extent of it, I think it began with thank you for your interest). I found that to be a sad email. It is my personal opinion, there is nothing that promotes Airstream like the vintage fleet.
I do not see any reason that one could not reproduce obsolete part. The only issue I see is the definition. Obsolete means no longer of use or no longer needed. Someone obviously needs it, or we would not be talking about reproducing it. I am hoping to begin producing an item this spring for the vintage market. I want to be certain that I can produce a high quality product that will fit and work well,before I offer it for sale. My shop is in the research and development stage right now. I hope others will do the same.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, I see the problem with obsolete parts with our tractor (1948 Ford 8N) and the MGB, too. All too often, whatever parts I get for the tractor are made in some country with miserably low wages, and the parts are VERY poorly made. At least with the MG, the outfit I do most of my business with usually gives me a choice: Either higher quality European or North American product for a higher price, or lower quality part for a lower price. It ALWAYS pays off in the end to choose the higher price.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to have to shave off some metal from the brand-spanking new brake shoes I put on the tractor last week. Nothing like brake shoes that won't retract properly.

Lynn
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
62 Overlander:

You are valuble person to this society. I once went back packing with an engineer who worked for a company who built all kinds of machinery. He told me back in the early 80's his career story. When he was a boy he learned the hands on building and fixing of machines. He continued on by getting a degree in engineering and has a complete understanding in his field. He was concerned about all the engineers coming out of school who never ever used a wrench or screw driver growing up. He explained that some of their designs looked great on paper but never were workable out in the field because of their lack of understanding of hands on maintenance and repair.

I have been doing research on the drop out rate of boys in school and the failure of boys in school (it is very alarming). Georgia has a 20% drop out rate of boys and girls. Boys much higher then girls. We have 168,000 special educations students in this state. 134,000 are boys. We have just added more core subjects to their curriculum which will take away from career and technical education. Where are we going to get our future trained and certified plumbers, machinist, welders, electricians, carpenters, auto technicians etc. This should be taught in all the high schools as well as post secondary schools.

I hope you can get your company to start to make vintage parts. I would think you would have a market for it. The auto industry already has this going on in their world. I am new to the airstream life because I thought I bought a trailer that just needed little things done to it. Now I have the floor removed, rails and stringers, wired brushed and grinded, plus por-15 over everything. All my advice and knowledge has come from airstream forums and the technical teachers at my school. I love it. My wife says I am becoming obsessed with the renovation.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
we had these poeple Z Corp. Homepage come demostrate their product where i work (a 2 yr community college). they took a cad file and printed a model from it. took about 4 hours to print a two inch model, about 4,000 layers. works similar to your deskjet printer. the demonstration material was 50% porus but they have other materials that use stronger plastics, rubber and for making casts to pour metal in.

yours for a mere $25,000 !

issues/ questions about weapon making and self duplication did crop up
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Did I miss the post with the completed Land Yacht logo? I have a 71 Ambassador where the lock is integrated into the door handle and could definitely use a new one but haven't been able to locate one.

I agree with having the students contact various vendors, they'd know what parts they get the most inquiries about but that they don't have today.

Good Luck and I think a partnership would be very beneficial. I know the company I work for is looking for aircraft sheet metal and fiberglass folks and there just aren't enough of them.
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonIvey
Did I miss the post with the completed Land Yacht logo? I have a 71 Ambassador where the lock is integrated into the door handle and could definitely use a new one but haven't been able to locate one.

I agree with having the students contact various vendors, they'd know what parts they get the most inquiries about but that they don't have today.

Good Luck and I think a partnership would be very beneficial. I know the company I work for is looking for aircraft sheet metal and fiberglass folks and there just aren't enough of them.
Any Airstream dealer that stocks parts for the vintage trailers can help you.

New locks are available, but extremely expensive. Repair parts are available, or you can have the lock repaired.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
How about baby moons?

Have them create a good pair of baby moons - all of the ones out there now are so cheap they dent when you touch them....you could sell a lot of them.
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Decatur , Georgia
Tom,

Have you had any response from the factory about your efforts? I am in need of 2 cast aluminum script Airstream emblems and was getting ready to find a local person to cast them. I have the old parts, but they are in multiple pieces.
egrbeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

egrbeav

I just called the instructor at the community college for an update. He says system wide computer issues are causing them grief at the community college (Lansing Community College, instructor Clint Jones) so they have not done much with it recently. Clint hopes to have better news in a couple months. He is planning to 'showcase' the items and enter them into some school/student competitions once they are completed. In the meantime, it is still 'the waiting game'. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something; I am anxious to get mine on my trailer!

Tom
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Please start with this.............

Please start with front window for a 1955 Safari window, will pay $200.00 plus...........thanks
Attached Images

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote