Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Metallic paint??

So--in contemplating the reno on my 65 Overlander, I've toyed with the idea of putting in new polished and coated aluminum panels for the interior wall and ceiling surfaces. I've done this before in 1950 Spartan (actually just the ceiling) and love the results. The Spartan was a complete gut job to be used for an office work trailer--it was also a 2 year professional renovation with costs that spiraled (surprise, surprise ). The results were well worth it and I still get complements three years later!!

This time around, the Overlander will be for personal uses and I want/need to limit the amount of work that is sourced out. I'd also like to contain some of the costs . Although I'm still considering installing new polished aluminum in some areas of the trailer (maybe the end caps??), I've also been thinking about using some of the metallic paints (Armormetallix, Modern Masters, etc) used in faux finishing. I know the look would be different than the polished aluminum but it might give the trailer some "sparkle" without the huge time/$$ investment and difficulty of installing new aluminum panels.

Thoughts??

Kathleen
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Painting the exterior, will most likely diminish the resale value. Also, cut down on the number of potential buyers as most "Airstream folks" don't like the painted look. It might raise the interest for Argosy owners/buyers - but there aren't as many of them around.

Painting the interior is more forgivable, but painting over intact Zolatone will be frowned upon by most purists. But ultimately, it's your trailer to do with as you please ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I've used this to help hide the damage from filiform corrosion.

It should work much better for interior work....worth a look!
http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/
Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
NO, no--I would never consider painting the exterior.

This would be strictly an interior finish. The 40+ year old original interior finish is looking a bit dated and dingy for my tastes. In addition, I'm really not a purist and will be changing out most of the original features (adding smev appliances, probably removing the rear bath fixtures to create a wet shower area, halogen lighting, etc).

I was considering the metallic paint as an alternative to new zolatone or the installation of new polished aluminum. It might give it a softer warmer finish than just paint and is much easier to acheive than the installation of aluminum (as I'd like to use the trailer within the next few years ).

I was just curious as to what folks here would think about the look and the finish.
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
I/we have painted the exterior of Airstreams, metallic silver, for over 40 years.

Of course, there is a proper way, but it costs very much to do it.

WHEN PROPERLY done, with PROPER MATERIALS, that paint job, if waxed once a year, will last at least 25 years.

That in itself, outsells the clearcoats of yesteryear.

When selling a metallic silver painted Airstream, all that the seller needs to say, is you don't need to polish it, or clearcoat is for those "X" years remaining.

That, increases the selling price.

I have never heard of anyone selling a properly painted Airstream, taking a bath on it's selling price, because of the paint.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
I've also been thinking about using some of the metallic paints (Armormetallix, Modern Masters, etc) used in faux finishing. I know the look would be different than the polished aluminum but it might give the trailer some "sparkle" without the huge time/$$ investment and difficulty of installing new aluminum panels.

Thoughts??

Kathleen
When we painted our interior, we wanted something quick and cheap that would cover the yellowed stuff that they put on the walls in 1976. We chose a two tone look, with light blue on the ceiling and end cap, with a creamy colour everywhere else. On the overhead storage tambour, we used silver paint, brushed on. In the bathroom, we spray painted the yellowed fiberglass silver.

Most of you reading this are probably well past the shudder stage, but it hangs together pretty good.

So I say go for it. It's cheaper and quicker.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
LEONARD , Texas
Did you decide to try the metallic paint? I'm debating some of the brushed looks myself. Just curious how it turned out...
reddoor is offline   Reply With Quote