Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Interior paint?

I finished stripping and polishing my walls and am now moving onto the upper walls and ceiling. Currently the are covered with the vinyl which was drawn on with permanent marker, covered up with some kind of blue paint and repainted with latex. I took an orbital to it just to knock down the dirt specs, brush marks and to feather the edges around all trim pieces. The trailer is currently gutted.

I would like to use a one step primer and paint if possible, although if ya'll think kilz beforehand is necessary i'll do it.

My question...latex, oil based or enamel for the top coat?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
A good thread, summarizing several options....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ors-62392.html

Laura - who's paint isn't tacky anymore and would do it again, but differently!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Duluth , Minnesota
Hello
I am about to paint the inside of my 1964 globe trotter any advise. I was going to use a latex paint with primer. Would love some help
Hardworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworking
Hello
I am about to paint the inside of my 1964 globe trotter any advise. I was going to use a latex paint with primer. Would love some help
I have not "painted" yet, but have put on two coats of Kilz. Seems to be sticking just fine. I will be covering it with latex.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
We are going with Kilz oil-base over the vinyl coated interior panels (have to pick up more, since I accidentally dumped the entire gallon out onto my driveway) I started painting my end caps with Rustoleum plastic paint...it seems to adhere well to the vinyl coated interior panels as well...lack of colors is the only downfall.

We cleaned everything with Greased Lightning and rinsed well, then used alcohol
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I did months and months of research on here and landed on this solution. So far, no issues...

• Cleaned walls with TSP and rinsed off. Make sure to clean all the way to the edge...this cleaning process is absolutely the most important step.
• Primed with XIM adhesion promoter primer
• Painted with Duration latex paint from Sherwin Williams (made to be easy to clean, and it is)

That's it. If you have the whole trailer gutted, and you are feeling brave, I'd rent a paint spray and spray it on. Gives an nice uniform, factory look.

Also, some have said to "scuff" the walls, I did not. Primer and paint have stuck fine.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote