Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Looking for window ideas

I am thinking about doing something different with the window coverings (e.g. replacing the stock curtains). I am sure that there are others who have applied their creative juices to personalizing this aspect of their Airstream and I sure would to hear what you've done. Roller shades? Z-shades? Other ideas?

One part of the challenge for me is coming up with an alternative to the fabric-covered valences that are used on 3 of the windows in an '03 Safari. I took the one in the bedroom area off, and it didn't look right. I removed the fabric that matched the bedspread (that we don't use) and found a very cheap grade of plywood. I sanded and varnished it and that didn't look right. I then primed and painted it silver, and that also is not so hot. Anyway, this is a bit of customization that has gone wrong and I'm almost out of ideas. I'm even thinking of covering the valence with aluminum (complete with rivets). Anyone done something with this?

Thanks in advance for the thought-starters.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I hate curtains...period!...So I took Velcro and Reflex Insulation and some duck cloth and made window covers-they look like place mats that attach to the window-keeping out all light and they are insulated to keep in the cold/heat at nite....nobody can see in.....geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The problem ...

with the valences in my trailer is that they are wider than necessary which tends to make the trailer dark inside and makes me bend over a lot more than necessary to see outside. I'm thinking of cutting down the width of the valences. When I do that, I may recover them. to better fit my Southwestern decor.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use the silver insulated bubble looking sheets to make side window covers, and a door window cover as well as roof vent covers we attach when we need to. The roof vents covers use little velcro to hold them on, the door window one slips into the door at night.
All these match the big front sun reflector we use in the Motorhome. I had to get rid of the huge wrap around curtain when we bought ours, it was destroyed from sunlight.
The silver looks pretty cool and reflects a lot of heat.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

'73 with mini-blinds

Thanks for the ideas.

I saw a '73 International Land Yacht (it had a lot of model IDs) with mini-blinds at a campground and noticed the blinds did not seem to hold up well. I'm leaning toward roller blinds made out of a fibreglass material that's supposed to have as little as 3 percent inbound translucency, but permits those inside to see out pretty well. They are available with a very tidy looking valence that is just slightly larger than the roller (very expensive valence, though). Anyone tried these or something similar?

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
New window covering idea

I have a limited amount of fabric to cover my '71 31' AS, so I'm making fabric window shutters. the shutterframe will be some pine pieces we have around .the interior will be faced with my fancy material. the inside will have a cut-out of the mylar bubble wrap- one or 2 thicknesses and the shutter facing out will have white material. with the shutters folded back, the print material shows, inside. then I'll make llittle latches to keep them shut at night. this will also make a nice dark bedroom for those afternoon naps. any curved window will have more loosely folded tab curtains with the small drape poles bent to shape and tabs on top and bottom. I keep thinking of what I'm going to do and that trailer keeps coming closer to home.!
Also my trailer has the vista vue windows on top too. I have 2 ideas for those- one is doing a stained glass design. the other is an adaptation of something I once saw in a mag. the person had 2 pieces of glass 1/4" apart (I'd use plexiglass on the inside) and filled it with tiny shards of thick safety glass, looking like little cubes, that filled the room with sparkling light but preserved all the privacy. I really like that idea and will try it first. silversuz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
silversuz,

The Vista Views are up so high that the only way someone would be able to see in is if they were in a tree over your trailer. The person looking in would need to be 20-30 feet up to see into the unit. That is why I like them. You can have all of the window coverings in place and still have a bright interior during the day if you want with total privacy. BTW the vista views have a built in 100% light blocking shade that is integrated into the wall. You will not need to do anything there if you do not want to.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Window Coverings

We purchased some automotive dark black tint and tinted the side six windows on our International Sovereign and you can't see in at all, it not only dresses up the outside appearance and modifies the look, but no one can look in to see the window coverings. We decorated with regular curtains and rods, removing all the old draperies that were a boring old fashioned burgundy plaid. The tint looks well on the outside and the curtains are just fine on the inside, more tolerable and homey.

Tim
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Check this one out! It's Vintage Vacations' version of a '61 Globe Trotter. I think the blinds work very well, giving me the sense of a 50's diner, but not tacky at all.

Old 03-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

wooden blinds

Bredlo, you are right- the wooden blinds look very nice in your trailer the colors carry through with the walls and table. silver suz

Also thanks for letting me know that the highest windows cant be looked in. I love that about my 71 sov.AS P perhaps too much light and heat gain problem though. I'll ask my husband about the tinting.

If I remember both vista vues are higher than the awnings. silver suz
Old 03-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
silversuz,
Two of my vista views are above the awning line. The one on the curb side is below the awning. But they do have the built in slide cover. Our unit came with silver tint on about half the windows. Pretty neat looking from the outside, a completely silver trailer. Some of it was kind of scarred up so we have scraped most of it off. If you click on my photo button, you can see the difference. The one with the truck hookedup, the forward windows and the bedroom have tint, the kitchen does not. Only problem is at night, people can see in and you have problems seeing out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

hi mike...i have a '93 excella. some windows had wooden blinds under the fabric curtains. i ditched the curtains and kept the wooden blinds. good look for no additional money...disadvantage: you could see a bit into the cabin on the edges where they hang a tad away from the wall due to the curvature of the trailer but it is so minimal i don't worry about it. however, i was hasty to remove the front curtain tracks (as i have panoramic windows in front). the center window between the two panoramics had a wooden blind...that, too, stayed. ended up putting back the tracks, sewing simple fabric panels that attached with the plastic gromments from old curtains. it can pull totally across the center blind also for a very flat, clean look (not so foofy as pleated curtains).
the valances. in the bedroom, i took the existing valances and cut the "long" side to be the same distance (width-wise) from the window as on the "short" side. the net effect is a valance that fits the window perfectly (I, too, didn't like the look when i took the valance down). i reused the foam coverting the wood material and covered the shortened valance in leather. (i also recovered my headboard and seating in leather as my husband has a leather furniture manufacturing facility! lucky me!). the new valances look perfect and it minimizes the inconvenience in getting around the bed while framing the window to avoid the look it had with the valance down. hope this helps...
Old 04-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Hey susan,
Must be so nice to live out in beautiful Chappel Hill area. How bout putting in an Airstream park over that way?
I spent an hour or so wasting time yesterday looking at blinds and such, then came to my senses and realized I'm along way from final interior punch list.

Im toying with the idea of Vertical shades (like patio door shades) only with a keeper at bottom also to hold them back in at bottom. I would like to be able to pull them all to one side or split them in center and pull (stack) them each direction as far aft as possible. Don't have a clue whether this idea has merit or not. Advise sought.

I wonder exactly what year the curvature changed and the curtain angle away from wall along with it. I am guessing that in the more loaf shaped late models the bottom of the curtain/blind is not as far out away from the wall. Am I correct anyone?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
my approach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
I hate curtains...period!...So I took Velcro and Reflex Insulation and some duck cloth and made window covers-they look like place mats that attach to the window-keeping out all light and they are insulated to keep in the cold/heat at nite....nobody can see in.....geof-near Cincinnati
I don't like fussy either but have trouble committing to one look, so here is my solution, which I hope will translate to the Airstreams: Use 2 cafe rods, one at the top of the window & one at the bottom, and outfit them both with the curtain rings that have pinch clips (here is a pic: http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.c...nhbr&gids=p446 )

That way you can use any material you want & adjust the tension between the top & bottom clips so that the covering stays with the curve of the body if necessary. they slide easily.

i swap out sheers & washed canvas depending on the season & don't even bother hemming them half of the time. I suppose a window crank could get in the way but no more so than it would with other treatments.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Great idea- a woman after my own heart!!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Jonestown , Tx
prob a little late but I'm thinking of recovering valances on my 80 excella with new fabric and then adding thicker fabric to the bottom of valance that can be rolled up and tied during day. Called a stage coach valance. Could use faux leather for a masculine look. Just a thought. Better late than never.
ya-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Jonestown , Tx
UH OH I've been out voted goin with the 50 theme for our "big baked potato" as we affectionately call it. Piced up black and white lin floor tiles tonight.I'm so looking forward to seeing how much yuk is under a 27 yr old carpet!
ya-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Does anyone have experience with Day/Night Pleated Shades
by United Shade at http://unitedshade.com/index.php

My wife and I are thinking of putting them in a 79 Excella 500. The only thing is that as mentioned previously there will be some areas around the periphery that will allow light and sight in so the wife is proposing I build boxes along the side to match the valance.

Dan
Dano57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Tell you what I did for my kitchen window. When we got our 72 Overlander it had a roll up shade in the kitchen. I tried taking the vinyl off the roller and stapling material to it, that didnt work! So I was at walmart the other day and they had the cutest kitchen chef curtains. I bought them and 2 cheap curtain rods, took them home, cut them down to fit my window, and they are adorable. I wish I would have thought of that before I bought 20 yards of material and re-made all the others! I will post pictures. It's a quick and easy fix.
Tammy
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
kitchen window treatment

Here is a picture of the chef curtains and the cheap curtain rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	26123   Click image for larger version

Name:	rod.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	26124  

Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote