Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Cool Interior Wall and Ceiling covering

I recently purchased a 1994 34' Excella in great shape except for the interior. The ozite on the walls is badly stained from mold and the vinyl celing material is falling down. It's separating from the foam, which is separating from the interior aluminum panels. Where can I find a retailer who sells these materials other than Airstream. I'm not a millionaire. Haven't had much luck finding a retailer on the Internet.
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by phild
I recently purchased a 1994 34' Excella in great shape except for the interior. The ozite on the walls is badly stained from mold and the vinyl celing material is falling down. It's separating from the foam, which is separating from the interior aluminum panels. Where can I find a retailer who sells these materials other than Airstream. I'm not a millionaire. Haven't had much luck finding a retailer on the Internet.
I would visit a local to you auto upholstery shop. A knowledgeable shopekeeper can order all the materials for you, and perhaps do the installation as well.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
HAVE YOU TRIED CONTACTING A/S about this problem? I was a Bates RV in Tampa last year and saw a used unit with this problem. I was told that "A/S had a glue problem that year". Might be worth a try, otherwise,local upholstry shops can do that sort of stuff. I've seen a lot of repair stuff like that here in Florida..... John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
A few months too late for me, I just finished stripping all of my panels and could have arranged a swap with you. My vinyl has been holding on for the past 28 years and I am sure would have held for another 280.

Good Luck,
Jennifer
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Headliner

I personally contacted AS and was told that there was nothing they could do. My ceiling too is falling. This is very frustrating. I have done extensive research and found that this problem has occured in models as late as 1988 and as new as 2001. You would think AS would do something about it.
I found some photo's on here from another individual who had problems with their headliner. They used fasteners and it really looks great. He even posted photo's (user oglerb). I am still researching to try and find out what others have done for this problem. Several have used Spray Glue, plastic strips, cement glue, rivets, fasteners, screws, etc. Let me know how you do with yours.

Rich
FWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWright
I personally contacted AS and was told that there was nothing they could do. My ceiling too is falling. This is very frustrating. I have done extensive research and found that this problem has occured in models as late as 1988 and as new as 2001. You would think AS would do something about it.
I found some photo's on here from another individual who had problems with their headliner. They used fasteners and it really looks great. He even posted photo's (user oglerb). I am still researching to try and find out what others have done for this problem. Several have used Spray Glue, plastic strips, cement glue, rivets, fasteners, screws, etc. Let me know how you do with yours.

Rich
Rich a lot depends upon how the separation occured. In some cases it was the backer separating from the aluminum skin. In other cases its been the covering actually separating from the backing material. In the later case trying to inject an adhesive is pretty much futile. I've seen a couple of 90's built trailers and it is a nasty issue. You are right about Airstream's response. I've not however seen this problem in the late 90's or 2000's units.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Interior Wall and Ceiling covering

Jack,

Thanks for the response. I am still debating on how to proceed - rivets or the 3M spray that AS suggests. They did offer to knock 20% off my bill if I took it all the way out to the factory but that is quite a long distance fplus I'm not sure it would be beneficial for me considering the bill would be $5k+/-. I did find where somone used the rivets and it does not look bad at all. I just want something that will last. I was reading some other posts and it appears that even if I did go all the way to the factory to have it fixed the problem would only repeat itself once the glue dried out again. Have you had this problem?
I am getting ready to head back to Alaska in May and would like to have it fixed prior to leaving as the sagging is pretty bad.
I have read posts from folks with models as late as 2003 that have had this same problem. Pretty frustrating!

Thanks again for the input....Take Care
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I have a 96 Classic 30, ceiling has come down in the bedroom, bathroom and in the lounge area you can see that the covering is puckered in places where the ceiling pad has come away from the ceiling. Looks like you know what... Apparently the solution is to get new padding and have it reglued to clean aluminum. Won't do you any good to just glue the pad and try to attach it to the interior aluminum that already has old glue on it. Airstream removes the pad and interior aluminum, installs new aluminum on the ceiling and then attaches the new pad to the ceiling for a cost of $600 per section. It appears to me that you can take the pad off the ceiling and clean the aluminum then glue new pad to the ceiling. By the way, after spending big $$ for Airstream to repair, they do not guarantee that the ceiling won't fall down again. Something is fundamentally wrong here, can anyone say they have seen a ceiling come down in a SOB trailer? I'm embarrassed to have someone in my trailer.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Jack,

Thanks for the response. I am still debating on how to proceed - rivets or the 3M spray that AS suggests. I was reading some other posts and it appears that even if I did go all the way to the factory to have it fixed the problem would only repeat itself once the glue dried out again. Have you had this problem? I have read posts from folks with models as late as 2003 that have had this same problem. Pretty frustrating!

Thanks again for the input....Take Care
Well as I noted if the ceiling material has separated from its backing, then you are probably dealing with a replacement since the ceiling material will have lost any ability to reattach itself tightly against its backer. That backer sort of provides the smoothness and form to the material. I think you should be able to feel if the backer is sticking to the drooped portion of the ceiling.

I've either missed those posts or you may have a different source. I did a search and the posts I have read seem to deal with 1994-1997 units. I can't seem to find a post on a newer trailers having this issue.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
websites dealing with ozite, plus special bonus: answers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild
The ozite on the walls is badly stained from .... Where can I find a retailer who sells these materials other than Airstream. I'm not a millionaire. Haven't had much luck finding a retailer on the Internet.
Go to answers.com and type in ozite. You will find several sites that perhaps retail it.

Incidentally, if you have answers.com installed, you can ALT-click on a word anywhere, and you will get a definition and a web search. I had to do that to figure out ozite is that fuzzy stuff on my walls.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Am sitting here in my Airstream looking at the loose ceiling liner and wish I could get behind it to spray in the adhesive, but the liner is loose in spots and when I tried to get behind it by taking down the window valances the liner is still intact at the edges and no way to get any glue there. Do to Airstream response to problems of skylight and ceiling problems which should never happen, am now considering changing to fifth wheel and will not consider any Thor brands. It is a hard decisssion would prefer a new 34' airstream but many fifth wheels with 3 slides sell for less and some have a better rep than Airstream.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple 1
Am sitting here in my Airstream looking at the loose ceiling liner and wish I could get behind it to spray in the adhesive, but the liner is loose in spots and when I tried to get behind it by taking down the window valances the liner is still intact at the edges and no way to get any glue there. Do to Airstream response to problems of skylight and ceiling problems which should never happen, am now considering changing to fifth wheel and will not consider any Thor brands. It is a hard decisssion would prefer a new 34' airstream but many fifth wheels with 3 slides sell for less and some have a better rep than Airstream.
Hi, sounds like we have the same year and model trailer with the standard falling down ceiling option. I would love a 34, I get the impression the newer trailers don't have the drop down ceiling problem. In my opinion I think a 5th wheel will loose it's value very fast. Check around on resale 5th wheel trailers to see. I get freeked out about the thought of a SOB delaminating. You really have to keep on top of seam sealing.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
In my opinion I think a 5th wheel will lose it's value very fast.
Can't say for sure about all 5th wheels, but a friend of mine bought a 1988 5th wheel (33 ft) SOB that had been sitting unused for 2 years. The guy was asking $1500 as is, then spontaneously agreed to sell it to her for $500 AND tow it to our park! It needed a good bleach and water scrub, a light fixture had to be replaced, the bottom step is in need of repair, and one section of carpet is bad..... pretty good deal for $500.

One thing I notice wherever I go camping, is that there are giveaway deals on virtually everything. A nice couple bought a new, huge Moho for $350,000 and six weeks later the husband was diagnosed with cancer. They now are willing to sell it for under $200,000. If you want a cabin you move once or twice a year, buy a gently used SOB. If you want to travel, but an Airstream.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Sagging Headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well as I noted if the ceiling material has separated from its backing, then you are probably dealing with a replacement since the ceiling material will have lost any ability to reattach itself tightly against its backer. That backer sort of provides the smoothness and form to the material. I think you should be able to feel if the backer is sticking to the drooped portion of the ceiling.

I've either missed those posts or you may have a different source. I did a search and the posts I have read seem to deal with 1994-1997 units. I can't seem to find a post on a newer trailers having this issue.

Jack
Hi Jack,

There is a 2003 International that had the same problem. There is also several posts on the AS website forum.

I am still frustrated that AS won't do anything about this problem. As several have found out that even if we do have them do the repairs they will no guarantee it not to happen again.

I would do the job myself but it is quite the ordeal as you have to take down all the cabinets to do it right. More than I want to take on right now as I am remodeling my house. Was hoping to be able to get it fixed prior to going back to Alaska but none of the AS dealers here will even touch it as it is quite the job.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Jack,

There is a 2003 International that had the same problem. There is also several posts on the AS website forum.

I am still frustrated that AS won't do anything about this problem. As several have found out that even if we do have them do the repairs they will no guarantee it not to happen again.

I would do the job myself but it is quite the ordeal as you have to take down all the cabinets to do it right. More than I want to take on right now as I am remodeling my house. Was hoping to be able to get it fixed prior to going back to Alaska but none of the AS dealers here will even touch it as it is quite the job.

Thanks,
Rich
I think there is a smoking gun on those mid 90's trailers since on this site they seem to be the years that we see the complaints coming from. I don't get to the company site as frequently so I haven't seen the reports concerning the newer trailers. This reminds me of the clear coat problems experienced by the later 90's trailers. Airstream was required to change clear coat formulas due to EPA requirements and really had some issues there. That led to them changing over to the precoated Alcoa aluminum panels.

Sounds like a poll would be in order to classify the years and numbers of trailers with the ceiling problems.

Here is a link to it.

Headliner Poll

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for creating the poll Jack.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Just a comment: we stored our A/S in the heat of Texas during 2000 to 2003. When we returned from our duty post, most of the headliners were separating and hanging low! Camper Clinic II out of Buda, Texas took on the task of repairing the damage. It cost about $5,000 to restore the ceiling. That was about three years ago. Because the trailer was also hail damaged, it was a hard decision. But the decision was made easy when we started to consider the 'memories' we would be giving up if we had the trailer totaled. Instead, the insurance paid about $10,000 toward repair of the A/S skin and we footed the bill for the headliner. Camper Clinic II did a really good job and we are thankful for it. Good luck!
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote