Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Goodbye Airstream Mattress

The mattress that Airstream places in these units is, in my opinion, one of the poorest quality components in the Airstream product. The cover has always had a buckled crease that sticks up across the middle, it sags in the middle, it provides little to no support and it is hot and doesn't breathe. Man, I am so excited to put this thing in the garbage.

Finally ... in 1.5 weeks we will get to say goodbye and good riddance to the Airstream mattress when the new custom made mattress arrives from Rocky Mountain Mattress. We ordered the Sunrise™ mattress that is an 8 inch memory foam matress with a mid-body lumbar support for each person sleeping on the bed. The design is also advertised as promoting constant air circulation through the mattress.

Their advertized Independence Day special also provides us with two custom made pillows as part of the purchase price.

I look forward to posting some photos when the mattress arrives as well as providing much better review of the Rocky Mountain product than my review of the Airstream mattress.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Can't wait to hear how you like it --- we're going to have to replace ours too - I got a pricey topper for it and I swear that made it worse...

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We had the same experience with our stock mattress and ordered from Rocky Mountain Mattress. We are very pleased that we did.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Will be anxious to hear your reviews of your new mattress. Ours too needs replacing or upgraded or something! Justin Humphries and Bob Wheeler of Airstream both spoke the other day at the International Rally and one of the new components of the new Airstreams will be a pillow-top mattress. About time.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We padded our twins with sleeping bags and quilts. One bed even has a feather bed on top (mine). The foam matresses are still there and I have been using them to store flat paper documents and anything else flat underneath. One day when I find the source of feathers - I want feather bedding on both. Mostly because you can re fluff it and you sink into them at bed time.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Select Comfort

We have a "Sleep Number Bed" to match the one we have at home.

Nothing beats it!

I agree about the lousy quality of the OEM mattresses. Why do they have to be so bad in such a luxury product? Obviously nobody at AS EVER spent the night in one!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also am looking forward to your review and pictures
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We added our usual slanted foam wedges to the upper half of the original mattress. No problems at about 180 nights there, and another 350 in the '07 Airstream.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Just ordered and received new Select Comfort mattress, can't wait to install it and use it. We have a Select Comfort at home and love it. For us the original AS mattress equalled morning backaches.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I like my mattress

To be honest it's better than last 2 purchases I made twin size and queen size. I like it firm
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
We have a "Sleep Number Bed" to match the one we have at home.

Nothing beats it!

I agree about the lousy quality of the OEM mattresses. Why do they have to be so bad in such a luxury product? Obviously nobody at AS EVER spent the night in one!
Sleep number RV Queen for us as well. We sleep well on ours at home and on the road. Those factory mattresses are a piece of ........
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We love our Tempur-Pedics both at home in the the AS. We awake with no more aches and pains as we get older.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We will look forward to hearing how it turns out. We are considering having a mattress made for us by Rocky Mountain. Hows the service been so far?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
mattress versus uneven gaucho lounge cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
The mattress that Airstream places in these units is, in my opinion, one of the poorest quality components in the Airstream product. The cover has always had a buckled crease that sticks up across the middle, it sags in the middle, it provides little to no support and it is hot and doesn't breathe. Man, I am so excited to put this thing in the garbage.

Finally ... in 1.5 weeks we will get to say goodbye and good riddance to the Airstream mattress when the new custom made mattress arrives from Rocky Mountain Mattress. We ordered the Sunrise™ mattress that is an 8 inch memory foam mattress with a mid-body lumbar support for each person sleeping on the bed. The design is also advertised as promoting constant air circulation through the mattress.

Their advertized Independence Day special also provides us with two custom made pillows as part of the purchase price.

I look forward to posting some photos when the mattress arrives as well as providing much better review of the Rocky Mountain product than my review of the Airstream mattress.
Hi Guys,

I am looking forward to your post about your new acquisition. I gave away our original trailer mattress as it provided insufficient support consistently leaving me with back pain in the morning. It was replaced it with a futon cushion combined with a memory form topper. The foam was cut to custom fit the curved back corner of the trailer using an electric carving knife. The bed now provides better support but is uncomfortable on warmer days as the memory foam limits air circulation for heat dispersion as it wraps around the body. Bill, who tolerates heat well, enjoys this set up.

I like to be cooler, preferring the front lounge extended into a bed with its firmer cushions, and have been considering a new mattress as the, shifting cushions make for an uneven sleeping surface.

After our last trip, I placed a non-slip rug to floor gripper pad, from Home Depot, under the cushions, to limit cushion shifting, and added a 1/2" thick piece of plywood to raise the lower gaucho shelf creating a more level support surface.

See you on the road,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
We love our Tempur-Pedics both at home in the the AS. We awake with no more aches and pains as we get older.
Where can one get a Tempur-Pedic for an AS? We have one at home & love it. We've got the "queen" bed in our 23' Int'l.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
replacing queen mattress

simple, measure your space, throw out old mattress, install a plywood base large enough to support the t-pedic queen,and you are done.Downside is you lose a little floor space,upside is well worth it.We did our 25'Safari many years ago and feel the trade off makes sense
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Heck, we let the Tempur-Pedic hang off the end of the existing support board. The softness allows us to move around the larger footprint by merely pressing on the overhang with the side of our leg. We use all of our normal queen linens in AS or in house. That gives us multiple changes without purchase of special sized linens. It's a dream.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
New Mattress

The new mattress that we purchased from Rocky Mountain Mattress is in place and of much better quality than the original mattress that came in the Airstream. This is the 8 inch Sunrise mattress.

Following are a couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mattress 1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	164138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mattress 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	164139  

Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
St.Paul , Minnesota
We have heard the Tempur Pedic is hot. Do you find that?
Phmhhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
The new mattress that we purchased from Rocky Mountain Mattress is in place and of much better quality than the original mattress that came in the Airstream. This is the 8 inch Sunrise mattress.

Following are a couple photos.
Frank and Mike

after you have slept on it a couple of times, please post on how it is to sleep on temperature wise... i have looked at Rocky Mountain website and am impressed but wonder how their mattresses compare temperature wise to temper pedics which do seem to be hot to sleep on

thanks
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote