Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We had the opportunity to sleep on the Rocky Mountain mattress. I can report we are completely satisfied with the comfort and we didn't experience any problem with the mattress retaining heat. I can report however that as part of their Independence Day special we were provided two of their custom pillows. Those pillows were very, very hot. The pillows are way overstuffed with remnants that remain from where they cut the mattress. I picked the seam of the pillows, removed about 15 cups of filling from each pillow and sewed them back up. Reducing the filler solved the problem of overstuffed pillows ... but the pillows are still very hot. I think I'll just cut the pillows down further and make some decorative pillows out them.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Tifton , Georgia
So a youngen's point of view, my better half and I ( we're in our early 30's) sleep on our factory mattress( full time ) with a memory foam topper. Its a place to sleep but the quality of sleep just isn't there. We have been considering a bed in a box from Costco for quite some time now. After reading the comments I'm glad to know its just not us. May be at Costco first thing in the morning. Anybody else went this route?
RoadHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
A/S mattress situation

We took advantage of a sleep number mattress that camping world had on special. It is an RV short queen with radius corners and fits our 30' classic perfectly and we are very pleased with it, just as advertised ! The wireless remote with memory is a nice touch.
ciao
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird
Even though we haven't purchased our AS yet, I know that I won't sleep one night on the factory AS mattress from everything I have read. Looking forward to your review. A good mattress, IMHO, is one of the most important components of staying happy and healthy :-))
I wouldn't be too hasty in your judgement. I realize my wife and I must be the minority on this issue, but we love the mattress that came with our 2005 Safari. We have the Sleep Number queen at home and love it too. My sleep # is 100. That might give you an idea of why we like the firm stock mattress. Just saying.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike
We had the opportunity to sleep on the Rocky Mountain mattress. I can report we are completely satisfied with the comfort and we didn't experience any problem with the mattress retaining heat. I can report however that as part of their Independence Day special we were provided two of their custom pillows. Those pillows were very, very hot. The pillows are way overstuffed with remnants that remain from where they cut the mattress. I picked the seam of the pillows, removed about 15 cups of filling from each pillow and sewed them back up. Reducing the filler solved the problem of overstuffed pillows ... but the pillows are still very hot. I think I'll just cut the pillows down further and make some decorative pillows out them.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the mattress didn't sleep hot, were.you camping in Texas when you tried it out?
I have a cool foam pillow from JC Penny that i use at the house and i like it a lot. Nearly $50 but got it on sale for about half

dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We went for it and bought the latex 9" mattress from Rocky Mountain. After two weeks of sleeping on it I can say that we are completely satisfied. Still getting over the sticker shock but I believe it was worth every penny.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
I wouldn't be too hasty in your judgement. I realize my wife and I must be the minority on this issue, but we love the mattress that came with our 2005 Safari. We have the Sleep Number queen at home and love it too. My sleep # is 100. That might give you an idea of why we like the firm stock mattress. Just saying.

Us too, although I THINK that the Classic mattresses are an upgrade over the other models. I did throw the egg crate foam pad from the old trailer on it with a modestly padded mattress cover over the whole thing. Very comfortable....and when staying at a hotel with sleep number, I'm about a "25". So there you have pretty much both ends of the spectrum.

I still sleep on water at home! I think I'm the only one left.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
After sleeping in my new 2012 25' FB FC for the past four months, I can attest to the quality of the Airstream OEM mattress. It is just plain cheap. You can't really get much cheaper. Thor's idea of a premium product and mine differ substantially, but I bought one of their trailers so who's laughing now?

The mattress on my trailer (it has been slept on for only about 100 nights) already has a deep valley in the middle, there are lumps all over, there's a water stain on the bottom, and it scoots 4 - 8" away from the poorly-insulated wall each night. That tends to suck on a $70k trailer.

I'm going to buy a new mattress, actually, I have to. The OEM one is shot and so is my nightly slumber. I appreciate the input made on this forum - it makes my choices easier.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Us too, although I THINK that the Classic mattresses are an upgrade over the other models.
Owner of two Classics - this is not true, but I would say my 2009 25FB Classic mattress was light years more comfortable than my 2011 30 Classic.

Heard 2013 trailers have upgraded mattress along with the return of the porcelain toilets, yea!,
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
We put a 3 1/2" memory foam topper from Cosco-cut with electric kitchen knife-on our OEM mattress-2012 25 ft FC RB. Has been great.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fairchild AFB , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
We put a 3 1/2" memory foam topper from Cosco-cut with electric kitchen knife-on our OEM mattress-2012 25 ft FC RB. Has been great.
We did the same with a memory foam topper from Target in our 27' FB Serenity and what a difference. I've almost felt like I couldn't get up a few times. I was so far deep in it.
mbnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
The memory foam topper was a satisfactory solution for a while but having one of those "wonderful" rear corner bed configurations made it even more complicated making the bed with a memory foam topper added into the equation. But again, a satisfactory solution in most cases. I just gave up the battle and eventually we purchased the custom mattress from Rocky Mountain mattress. Regardless of who you purchase a custom mattress from, if you contact Airstream Service and provide them with the model and year of your Airstream, then they will send you the factory drawing and dimensions in PDF form for you to send to the custom mattress manufacturer for the manufacture of your new mattress.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
The mattress is great on our Int/EB with the addition of a mem foam topper, but the verdict is out on the D310 toilet ... as we have not been able to use it even once. The valve is leaking.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have used the original mattress with foam wedge toppers on the upper half, maybe 350 nights or so. We're holding up well and so is the mattress.

mefly -
A friend had a piece of assembly trimming stuck in that valve (overflowed one night) in his new fifth wheel. You might try blowing it out with air pressure.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
We Love our Cloud Supreme TempurPedic 60x80 Reg Queen Size Mattress camping is just like home. Have the original new mattress still in the plastic never sleep on
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
At home, we sleep on a futon w/a Costco memory foam on top. It's soft on top and it doesn't disturb your sleep partner when you move at night.

Our 2004 Classic mattress was too hard, so we did the same, put the Costco memory foam on top, cut it to round foot corners w/scissors. We just spent 20+nights on it and it was very comfy.

I think it will be a while before we want to change. Headed out again on Monday for a few weeks. Can't wait.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
[QUOTE] Does anyone actually sleep on the mattresses as they come from the factory in new units? [QUOTE]
Well, yes unfortunately. Our 1990 Excella rear twin mattresses are now 27 years old, but they do need replacing. So we are looking, but mama doesn't like memory foam, and latex is heavy and very expensive....so we are still looking. Its hard to know since you can plop yourself down on an online mattress, and the local stores don't have a 34"x78" outside curved mattress selection.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
GOOGLE custom mattresses. There are several stores in most areas, and they can generally make innerspring, natural or synthetic laytex, memory foam or even the sleep number type (inflatable). Natural latex IS very heavy... the synthetic is much lighter.

IF you are a do it yourself type you can buy a standard queen at Sams Club, etc. and use an electric knife to cut the top to fit the radius curve... Make a pattern for the top cut with heavy paper or cardboard, then use a seam ripper to carefully open up the mattress covering to get down to the foam and cut it to shape with the electric knife. You will have to refit and resew the cover by hand... NOT much fun but you can get upholstery needles, thread and a "palm" to push the needles from Sailrite or other similar suppliers. (Heavy duty embroidery needles and unwaxed dental floss for thread will also work, but be ready for sore fingers!)

OH the old mattress is almost surely synthetic latex at its core. Chop it up to practice your knife handling before you start on the new one. It is also much easier to take the old one out through the door in pieces!

Paula
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ACK you have twins! You can buy standard "long twins" in 6 inch or deeper foam and cut the big curves on them.

Boat dealers are also great sources for mattresses and seat cushions.

Paula
Old 03-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #60
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
We have a "Sleep Number Bed" to match the one we have at home.

Nothing beats it!

I agree about the lousy quality of the OEM mattresses. Why do they have to be so bad in such a luxury product? Obviously nobody at AS EVER spent the night in one!
Hey, where do you put the air pump for your sleep number bed? Our bed is on a plywood platform, and I don't see a convenient place for that device to rest. Thanks!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote