Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Accordion Door, Bathroom, 58 Flying Cloud

Just got the new-to-me rig. Ugly, grotty folding door (brown, plasticy fabric with sliders in top rail. Need replacement. Any ideas?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
So---- what are you saying here? You need another one like that, or ideas for a alternative? If you need another similar one in good shape I have one out of my '57. It's shorter than floor length as it's a step -up bathroom.
PM me for a photo if you are interested.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
According to your profile, you have two '57's. Is this an accurate statement? If so, how much do they have in common?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
According to your profile, you have two '57's. Is this an accurate statement? If so, how much do they have in common?

Brad
FF
Brad
I wish that were the case!! When I had the '67 Safari, I listed the FC as a second - but when I sold it and tried to bump the FC up it would not let me change the profile. I probably have to erase everything and start from scratch.
FYI I'll be in PHX (Sun City) for awhile with the FC 2nd week of April if you want to visit.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Murray ~

It would be great to hook up next month. Keep me posted on your whereabouts and we'll connect.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Somewhere between NY & LA

Hey Bevman,

I had an ugly beige plastic accordian door on my 63 Globetrotter. An upholsterer friend took it apart and re-built it using the same fabric I bought for curtains. It turned out well. Should be some photos in my sig.

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Vintage Trailer Supply carries the folding accordian doors. I know because they had a sale on them a few months back. I was going to get one but my wife just wants me to take ours down. It is looking a little worn.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
You know, as I noodle this around, I find it odd that there is an accodion door to close off the bath, and yet no provision for a shower curtain. The bath is not intended to be a "wet bath." There is a 20"x20" stainless shower pan and a shower head high on the wall, facing the toilet. Unless one was extremely careful, water everywhere. A hand-held would help, but not the final solution. I was thinking that an L-shaped track across the door jamb and then turning across the face of the shower. A decorative shower curtain could serve both purposes -- but the ceiling at the shower curves down toward the outside.

Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Is it possible there was a shower curtain there that has been removed?

Here is a picture of the location of the curtain track on my '59. It runs from the instersection with the rear curbside partition, near the rear roof vent, to about 1 ft above the top of the back window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tearout 022.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	34777  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Shower rod idea

I had sort of the same problem as you. We had the ugly door on our shower that wouldn't close all the way. We removed it. My idea was to take an aluminum tube and shape it like a U. Then take a couple pieces of small wire and rivet them to the ceiling, and attach to the shower rod holders. Then hang a shower curtain on it. That would prevent water from going everywhere, and look cool too. Upon doing research, I found out that you can buy these types of shower rods already made or have one custom made to fit your shower, but they are very expensive. I think My idea would work just as well and much cheaper. Just my 2 cents!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
No vestiges of there having ever been a shower curtain (no odd/new rivets or shadows in the Zolatone. I'm thinking that I could bend a u-shaped track following the curve of the roof from the partition down to the sidewall, something that would take travelers/sliders. It could have split rings to which shower curtain clips could be attached. If the shower curtain was attached at the partition side, and opened at the street side, then the curve wouldn't be a problem. It could stack against the partition with a tie-back.

Am I nuts? Where should I go to shop for the track and sliders?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Mine originally had a track riveted to the curved ceiling along the leading edge above the tub. I know, you guys with Ohio built trailers have something a little different, but I ended up cutting down a spring loaded shower curtain and runnigng it horizontally from the partition wall to a wedge I made out of mahoganey that is screwed into the opening from the vertical drain vent that originally came out of the top of the closet. Have I lost anyone yet? Sorry, I don't have a picture but this system has performed very well and looks great.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.