Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Angry What's the deal with not being allowed to bring your own firewood?

I am noticing that in the last five years all of the campgrounds have freaked about some beetle that lives in downed firewood and heaven forbid you should bring your own firewood from "your" part of the country for fear of spreading this things' existence into their campground. Growing up this was no big deal.

I see it as just a scam and a way for the campground owners and State Parks to make money...selling a dinky bundle of firewood for $5. I have campfires at home...and will never pay to buy their wood just so I can have a campfire while camping.

Sometimes I bring along 2 x 4 and hard wood scraps from the wood shop...there aren't any beetles living on that kiln dried wood. I have never had anyone say anything about my bringing that wood, but the whole deal just irks me.

Can anyone shed any info on this; maybe help me see it in a different light?
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
We know more than we did then, and we know that introducing alien species into environments where they have different food and predators can be... VERY DESTRUCTIVE.

Humanity has done a great job of wrecking whole ecosystems by moving rats onto islands, typhus to Native Americans, worms, fungi, and beetles.

The camps are compelled by state and federal government to advise travelers of these risks. It's not their choice.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Emerald Ash Borer. You have to have been asleep for the past few years to have not heard of it. No scam - it is destroying trees in parts of the country. Use local firewood or do without.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Al is correct. Came in through Windsor, CA and Detroit in wooden packing containers from China. Has descimated Ash trees in MI and Ontario. It is now in OH, WI, IL, IN and little pockets elsewhere. The Larvea travel in firewood and infect new forests. I have been spending almost $100 per year to preventatively treat 3 ashes in my yard for the last 6 years. The pest was found about 5 miles from my house in 07 and my neighbor now has infestation in his ash. So far my treatments are working.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Emerald Ash Borer. You have to have been asleep for the past few years to have not heard of it. No scam - it is destroying trees in parts of the country. Use local firewood or do without.
Yes EAB (Emerald Ash Borer) is no joke! I work for the Conservation Dept in my home state. EAB has caused major problems in the east and its working its way west. The rule is if you bring firewood from home to camp burn it all and don't transport it across state lines. We have found one positive case of EAB in our state and it was in a Federal campground. The County inwhich the campground is located is now under quarentine. No movement of firewood out of the county. This can mean big $ losses to the forest products industry and to our local communities that rely on forestry based recreation.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We just got back from Dillon Colorado and trust me it's not a scam! Whole campgrounds are bare (they had to cut down all the dead trees) and the mountains are almost all dead brown trees. I grew up skiing in that area and it's very sad to see forests gone due to some stupid lodge poll pine beetle. So follow the rules and spring for a bundle of wood.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
I just got back from the North Slope of the Uintah range in Utah. It looks to me like more than half of that forest is dead, or going that direction. The whole thing needs to burn - a very sad situation.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
here are some picture @ Dillon. It only affected the Lodge Pole Pine. In Summit County that is all they have and most are dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dillon1.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	108347   Click image for larger version

Name:	dillon5.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	108348  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
PaBam,
You offer a good option, 2x4s and woodwork scraps should be ok. For SoCal, bark beetle for the pines and fungus and insect die off of our local oaks is not just sad to see, but also a fire danger. We stopped transporting from our local wood pile outside the area because we want to preserve those places we travel to. Hate to think of what we might contaminate far from our forests. I had not realzed the EAB infestation issue, but still, we buy locally or are considering, (hold your breath, ) a Fire Dancer propane campfire for places where we cannot burn wood.
ya'll stream safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you've ever seen the damage and devastation caused by the pine beetles you'd know this isn't a scam. It's real and it's having major affects in our forests. The wood we use for our fireplace at home (and for camping) is from northern Arizona but if we travel out of our "home area" we do not take wood with us. We haven't seen a lot of this sort of restriction on campground firewood in our area but it's getting more common.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Have you forgotten the American Chestnut,when I was a kid we had thousands of dead ones on our land in Ohio.Did any survive any where else in the country? Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
PA',

Bark beetles are all over the west and as far north as Alaska and as far south as Mexico. Several years ago the ips beetle (a variety of bark beetle) came through our land and killed scores and scores of piñon and cedar. Some of those piñon were 300+ years old. Thye have not lacked for firewood for 10 years, but I have far fewer trees.

I have seen restrictions on firewood transportation all over the US and Canada. There are other non-native bugs attacking trees also. You have now learned about another one. Take this seriously. Whole forests have died in some parts of the country.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Dave, the chestnut unfortunately died almost completely out (billions were killed, seriously, BILLIONS), but people are trying to genetically re-engineer it to be more blight resistant. There are still 600 to 800 mature trees in part of Michigan, and others in other areas outside its normal range, like in the West, where settlers brought seeds with them to plant. Some also survive in Canada. There is one planted on the White House lawn that is apparently doing well!

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There must be millions of dead pines in the southeast.

About 3 years ago we found pine beetles in our established pines in MS probably 300 are down so far.

About 1/2 mile from the house we have over 3000 small pines (4 years old) and expect to loose them all over the next few years to expensive to try to kill off the beetles.

So NO this is no scam.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wentworth , South Dakota
Emerald Ash Bore will make Pine beetle like like a day at the beach before it is done. It is a real natural catastrophe.
Danetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
As of July 2010, EAB had been found in 15 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesotta, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia, plus two Canadian provinces.

Frequently Asked Questions | MDC

There is a national effort to limit the spread and impact of EAB. A national plan, coordinated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), guides what federal, state and local officials must do to manage this insect. Infested areas are quarantined, which means that selected materials such as firewood from deciduous trees, ash nursery stock, and ash logs may not be moved out of infested areas. Where outlying infestations are detected, large numbers of infested ash trees are sometimes cut and destroyed to reduce EAB populations. Research is underway in many universities and government agencies to find better ways to detect and manage this pest.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Being the self-sufficient types, we often don't spend any money in the local economy when camping (aside from the camping fee).

I don't mind a campground selling firewood to generate some cash flow, especially if the campground (state parks specifically) keeps the money to spend on the campground.

I'll gladly spend the occassional $5 on local firewood if it contributes to healthy forests.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Close to Home

A year before the ban on moving trees from Michigan a local upscale shopping center was built a couple miles from me. They purchased their Ash trees in MI because they were $1.25 less per tree.

EAB was found and the State of OH spent hundreds of thousands cutting down every Ash in a mile radius to try and stop the spread. EAB showed up in our development this spring - including my back yard. 10 of 27 trees in my yard are Ash. One third of the developments street trees are Ash and the State and City have given up trying to control the spread. The street trees are now 20 years old and just coming into that beautiful spread on the streets - mine are much older. In two or three years nearly a thousand street trees will be dead or dying. When it comes home - you'll know what the big deal is.

A few pics of one corner of my yard - an infected tree and the woodpecker damage that just adds to the damage to the trees cambium.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00649 - Copy.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	108375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00650 - Copy.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	108376  

Name:	DSC00651.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	108377  
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
It is a worthy effort to try to save the Ash trees. Unfortunately from what I have read and heard, in the end it is likely a hopeless cause. I guess at some time they will breed a new Ash tree that is resistant to the beetle but until they they will sadly continue to disappear. One area that will really be impacted is the baseball bat industry, as I understand it, most bats are currently made out of Ash. As a matter of fact Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Co. has this on their website.... Louisville Slugger - The Slugger Story What the heck, I think the Tree of Heaven is going to take over everything anyway (at least around here). Man I don't understand why property owners don't cut those things down, but that's a whole 'nother topic!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Im thinking about taking a 2 man crosscut saw with me to cut firewood from downed trees when I get thare. AS far as I know that is totaly OK as long as you are using muscle power. Shouldn't take much time to get all the fire wood you want and you can take it back to camp to split in tree trunk form, easier to carry that way. I think it will pack under my mattress easily with the handles removed. Just like being a kid again!
Dr Dan is offline   Reply With Quote