Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Last weekend I was camping on some private land in Wisconsin.

The two adjacent rigs were running generators more or less all morning and evening. One was a homemade conversion of a cargo trailer and the other was a pop-up truck camper. I don't think either one had a functioning 12v system. It was loud.

I didn't bring a generator and figured on running the truck engine if necessary to recharge batteries. It wasn't necessary. (2 days)

Before I left I used a load tester to discharge my trailer batteries to 90% and then measured the current in the charge line. I got 25 amps. With the load set at 75 amps I got 50 amps from the truck. I have 6/2 boat cable running from the battery isolator to the trailer connector.

I also have an extra group 24 deep cycle battery under the hood of the truck, that is on the charge line side of the isolator, to provide extra capacity. That way the battery recharges when we make trips away from the campsite.

I don't own a generator and would only ever need one to run the A/C since if we ever really got in a bind I know I could idle the engine for half anhhour. Might add solar at some point but don't really need it.
Yeah, I know there's ways to do the truck, but I don't have that luxury to do mods....I use my company demos. No mods allowed. And in any case it is very inefficient, fuel wise, and LOUDER than the generator. (diesel)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Operating in "stealth" mode

[QUOTE=dznf0g;1489488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

Sir, you make me laugh. Think I'd attract more attention in that bra than running the generator?
'twas the intent...I've come to my own conclusion that between camping trips be it "wilderness" , beach, lake, river, mountains, boondocks, parking lots, road side rests or back yards....we become afflicted with that disease lacksaairstreaming and amuse ourselves with fellow streamers on the forum. What a great community- weather we're newbies stressing out about how much torque or which hitch/stabilizer/brake module to buy, cooking gadgets, custom sheets, gizmos & gadgets we cannot due w/o....or our trailer leaks, dents or tow vehicle breaks down on a lonely back road....the Airstream community is ready to help out!
Or share great trip reports, secret boondocking spots or "stealth ops"
and lots of laughter!!!!
Hope to met some of you someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
So I guess what some of you are saying is , unless you get caught, you haven't done anything wrong? Seems to be the way the younger generation has been raised. Jim
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
[QUOTE=FCloud9;1489484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Have you seen these? They work very well

Yes sir, insulated coffee cups are multipurpose but for folks needing upgrades:

Stealth His & Hers
The Beerbelly- Stealth Beverage System

Something for everyone:
GoPong Hidden Sunscreen Alcohol Flask, 2-Pack:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I bow to your inventiveness, but I have to agree with Rich, I don't think I could pull off wearing one of those things.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The wine bra adds new meaning to "My cup runneth over"!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stealth can be GOOD

See? Here's what happens when you let it all hang out!

Portable toilet for the outdoorsman.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=richw46;1489502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

I bow to your inventiveness, but I have to agree with Rich, I don't think I could pull off wearing one of those things.

HEY NOW!

I never said I couldn't pull it off.......

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Get me a couple "tall boys"....and I got 'er handled.....till I start "deflatin 'em". I gits thirsty!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Rich,

Did you take that trip yet? I'm waiting for an update on how things went.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I wonder if the state of Wisconson is in the solar buisness for R.V.'s. Is there a solar factory in this state? This law could hurt tourism in R.V. parks. Once I was told ''rules is for everyone else not me'' by a person driving a mercedes. Maybe that's why he's has a mercedes and I'm driving a dodge.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So, as a follow-up, I was predominantly a good boy. Both my neighbors had people at their site pretty much 24/7 and the camp host was only four sites away. I did run the genie for about 5 minutes to power my boat inflator.

Some notes: I have about 1.8 - 2 amps of draw with the fridge board, propane detector, and my fridge interior fans on continuously; and intermittent water pump and LED lighting adds to that draw. I did run the truck with the umbilical hooked up for about an hour on day 3, restoring about 10 Ahr. I found the truck supplies about 15 Amps to start and quickly drops off to 12 amps, due to heating of circuit, I deduce. (this is accounting for the reading on my Trimetric plus the 1.8 - 2amp draw during recharge.
When hooking up to leave that site I was at 40% (12.2 Volts) after just shy of 4 full days dry camping. That's a bit deeper than I like, but OK occasionally, I guess.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, good.

Sounds like there was some wiggle room, and they didn't threaten to oust you for using your generator.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Just so you all know it will probably not be the ranger who is your first contact about rules infractions. That is usually the duty of the camp host who will gently remind you of the rules and ask for your compliance. If there is a subsequent infraction or neighbor complaints the rangers are notified and you may get a ticket. The tickets can be substantial, in california they can be >$100 and if you are belligerent you can be forced to leave the park. Nobody wants that to happen.

Most camp hosts I know don't go looking for infractions. We are required to do rounds at certain hours and if we notice something obvious we inform the campers. We do not seek out confrontation and are not Nazis. We want everyone to have a good time Every campground has it's quirky rules...at some national parks you are not allowed to tie anything to trees and the rangers want camp hosts to let campers know that right away.

I don't know anyplace where a ticket is the first response to an infraction, but I'm sure that place exists somewhere
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Four days and LED lights? With good batteries you shouldn't even need to recharge, unless you're running an inverter of something.

Amen, brother. No T.V. And no AC, shouldn't be a problem. You know the rules before you arrive. If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. Four days shouldn't be a problem, why push your luck?