Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Boondocking in National Parks and Forests

Since we got our 19' CCD, we've been cruising all this beautiful terrain, mainly around California and mainly on or way to a reserved site at an RV park with hookups somewhere near good fly fishing water. I've begun to notice RV's tucked away in these beautiful unimproved sites on National Park and National Forest lands and I'm envious.

What are the rules for dry camping in the National Parks and Forests? I know you guys know! (I've tried to figure the rules out by looking at the various .gov websites, but that info isn't easily gotten to.) Is anyone willing to dish?
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
It is my understanding that there is no camping in National Parks outside of established campgrounds. Dry camping is usually permitted in National Forests, however, there is probably some distance requirement from established trails and roads. Check with the ranger station at each National Forest.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Since we got our 19' CCD, we've been cruising all this beautiful terrain, mainly around California and mainly on or way to a reserved site at an RV park with hookups somewhere near good fly fishing water. I've begun to notice RV's tucked away in these beautiful unimproved sites on National Park and National Forest lands and I'm envious.

What are the rules for dry camping in the National Parks and Forests? I know you guys know! (I've tried to figure the rules out by looking at the various .gov websites, but that info isn't easily gotten to.) Is anyone willing to dish?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Bard,

I see you're from the left coast, try the Borrego Springs area, it's one of my favorites!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Hey Michael,

Are you coming to AB (Anza Borrego) this winter?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Hi Bard,

I see you're from the left coast, try the Borrego Springs area, it's one of my favorites!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
National Forest offices are now required to have motor vehicle access maps available and sometimes they also have these maps on their websites. These maps show where you can take vehicles in the national forests. They are provided free because the roads and trails are usually not marked and you have to depend upon the maps to know how to avoid being cited for being in the wrong place with the wrong vehicle. (this since 2006, I think).

Where you can take your rig is where you can camp. On a forest website, search for the term "dispersed camping" and you'll probably be able to find any rules or regulations of concern.

As for National Parks, Bill makes sense. As for BLM lands, they haven't got the constraints NFS land does.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
We often camp in the Stanislaus National Forest outside of Yosemite. It is boondocking but we would rather haul water and conserve electricity than be in the most deluxe improved campsite with a thousand other RVs. BLM is the most lenient, USFS next, NFS the most restrictive. Do a bit of research on where you want to go, stop by or call the forest service ranger station for the forest you're visiting. They will also give you pointers on where the best "dispersed camping" is, give you a fire permit (and tell you what's permissible at various times of the year). During your stay you may be visited by a ranger or USFS law enforcement, they very much like to hear that you've checked in with the ranger station, even informally. Tip: they also sell a special edition of the USGS topo maps with all the forest roads marked. This will help immensely in finding things, as the roads are often marked with small signs that look a little like mile markers.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I knew that the folks here had the answers! Thanks very much for the help. I go forth armed with knowledge!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Canton , Georgia
Federal lands

As I understand one can camp anywhere except where it says you can not. I take this to heart. I regularly (free) camp 10 mi past Standing Indian in NC near the top of MT Albert. The route requires one small stream crossing. There are approximately 10 sites between the Horse Camp and the end of the road.

My next favorite spot is above the Bristol Horse camp in Fires Creek Bear Sanctuary, near Hayesville, NC. These sites are about 7mi off the paved road. Both of these are in the Nantahala National forest
draigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I highly recommend that you touch base with the district USFS office on the rules for dispersed camping as they very from forest to forest. In the SJNF, you have to be at least 100' from any streams or lakes and you are encouraged to use existing campsites/fire rings. There is a requirement that you have to be X feet from the road. Dispersed camping is designed more for tent campers and back packers that RV's.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Canton , Georgia
I'm Irish. We have a history that includes 1/4 mi farms. Tis mine till told tis not. I take temporary use of public land as a right and allways leave the area better than I found it.
draigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Your information came quickly, was authoritative and to the point. I knew I was in the right place...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Nevada
Lake Mead allows boondocking at Government Wash $0, 15 nights max) 1st come 1st served. Most of your neighbors will be car campers.

It's kinda neat. Not much scenery unless you like rocks, but about 3 hours after sunset the coyotes put on a concert.
LASJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Northern California locations

If you happen to come to northern california, you may want to check out the Klamath National Forest. There are many areas that you can camp for free along the many Rivers that run thru the Klamath.

On the Scott River I like Kelsey Creek campground, located 20 Minutes down river from Fort Jones, CA. It is Forest Service campground and free to camp for 14 days. The Kayak people like to stage there and make the 15 mile run to Scott Bar pop. 40. In the summer the High School kids from the Scott Valley area like to go swmming there and junp off the bridge that crosses the Scott River just south of the campground.

The Klamath River has many dispersed campsites along the river and some of the river access areas are large enough to pull a trailer and camp. I think there are still some Forest Service campgrounds on the klamath that are free. Also you can go up some the spur roads off the Klamath river highway and camp for free.

The Salmon river highway is the most remote and the roads are very narrow, but once you drop into the river corridor from the Scott Valley, you will find so of the most amazing and beautiful county you've ever seen. I think all of the Forest Service campgrounds are free along the Salmon River highways, to remote to charge fees. Many swimming holes, and lots of kayakers in the campgrounds when the water is running high/fast during spring run off. Lots of mining history on the Salmon and all of the rivers in the area.

The Salmon and Scott rivers have some world class kayak runs... and if you want to try some whitewater that is more for the beginner try the Klamath, or you can go with a group and a guide if you want to spend some money.

There are minning "clubs" like the New 49ers that have campsites at there minning claims. One is located were the Scott River runs into the Klamath river. Not sure what it costs to join there club.

I lived/worked in the area for 10 years back in the 90's and loved the lifestyle.

Make sure that you stop by the Forest Service Headquarters in Yreka CA and buy a forest map before you travel down river. Most of the river highways intersect, so there are 100 to 200 mile loops that you can take, without backtracking on the same highway.

Trex, May Wally be with you and keep you safe during your travels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stelprdb5106560[1].jpg
Views:	437
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	116144 Click image for larger version

Name:	stelprdb5106576_m[1].jpg
Views:	268
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	116145
Trail Cr. Campground Whitewater on the Klamath
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I check with my brother, who is the Asst. Ranger in the Shawnee and he said FS policy is camping is allowed anywhere that is not a designated recreation area (I may hve my terminology off). Basically, no camping at picnic areas, feature markers, trail heads, etc.

He suggested always to chec in and ask at the FS office.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by draigue View Post
I'm Irish. We have a history that includes 1/4 mi farms. Tis mine till told tis not. I take temporary use of public land as a right and allways leave the area better than I found it.

Going off topic a bit here but.....finding "public" land in some states is not all that easy. This is how we prefer to camp and in Washington I have found that DNR land and BLM land offer up some pretty nice spots at no charge. Granted, these are campgrounds with established fire rings and the old fashioned pit toilets but the price can't be beat.

Years ago while reading various posts I would hear posters talk about going to their "lease" for the weekend. The "lease?" Upon further investigation I learned that in some places it is easier to lease a place to camp from a private land owner than stand in line for the few public spots available. I have read that the entire state of Texas is something like 98.3% privately owned. Lots of opportunity for the land owners to make a buck, not such great opportunity for the little guy to take his family out for the weekend.

Public lands, our greatest treasure.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
No fee more fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post

I copied the following from the internet, if you need more detailed information about the rules of camping on public land, I would suggest that you “google” CFR - Public Resource code 36…. Its best to check-in at the local Ranger Station, to ensure there are no special Closures. Late summer you will see fire restrictions in affect, (California), which means “no open camp fire” except in a designated Campground.
Good luck and have fun in OUR public lands…. Trex "May Wally be with you"

Dispersed Camping
On our National Forest Land
Eldorado National Forest website: Eldorado National Forest - Welcome!
If you like to camp “away from it all”, but
you prefer to drive there in your car, the National
Forests have just what you are looking for.
Most of the land in the National Forest is
open to camping free of charge which is referred
to as “dispersed” camping. Visitors can camp just
about anywhere in the national forest, unless
specifically prohibited*. Maps and staff are
available at most Forest Service offices to assist
visitors in finding a suitable spot.
Not being in a developed campground
means that there will not be certain conveniences:
��No piped water: boil any lake, stream or
spring water for 5 minutes, or bring your
own water.
��No restrooms: Dig a hole 6 to 8 inches
deep to bury waste at least 200 feet from
campsites, water sources, or trails. Digging
animals will expose waste buried in shallow
holes.
pollution.
There are many fine camping spots you can
reach on paved and well-graded dirt roads, but
there are some rough, steep, or narrow roads that
are dangerous for the family car or for bulky
recreation vehicles. Make sure the road you plan
to take is safe for your kind of vehicle by first
talking it over with Forest Service staff.
“100 Years Of Discovering Forest Treasures”
Centennial 1910
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prono Bob.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	116163
Biker buddy, P.Bob with the 3 Shasta's behind him; Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, and Mt. Shasta, all of that area between Shasta Lake and Mt. Shasta is part of the Shasta Trinty National Forest.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
First Come, First Served

A piece of good information. Maps

As you drive east from Colorado, public land becomes scarce. East of the Mississippi River it is virtually impossible to find public land, be it National Park, National Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, State Lands, School Sections, etc.. Follow the Rocky Mountains south to north and you will find most of the public lands being mentioned. There are still bits of private property owned within these publicly owned real estate. Even within the National Parks you can find parcel that are privately owned, but restricted use. Same with the other less restrictive lands. States like Utah and Nevada are mostly public lands, but Utah has open stretches between National Park lands where you can camp! Maps....

Locate a National Forest Service office and browse their map selection. Have a GPS to mark your out of the way locations and also find your way back while hiking. These maps will show small tracts within popular tourist areas that you can back that 19 footer into and stay, usually up to 30 days before having to move. When you see the green NFS truck checking the area out, they usually will stop to see how things are going.

We found some years ago a small tract of Forest Service land in the Black Hills, not far from Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument that was open to dry camping, if you could find the spot. Just enough to get a trailer into an open space. The detailed map made it possible.

A 19 footer can get into some tight areas that nobody would want to attempt. Watch the plumbing, brush and tree branches and check it out. If the area is new and rough appearing, find a place to detach and check it out first. Make sure you lock the receiver on the AS so it does not get towed away without your permission!

Edited by adding: National & State Parks are plentiful east of the Mississippi. What I mean is the public land aspect where you can find an open space where you can camp at no cost.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, national forest, national park, rules