Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Sherwood , Oregon
Battery setup for Boondocking

Newbie here; proud owner of a 16' Sport. I envision a lot of remote camping near great flyfishing rivers and need advice on a battery setup that could provide for several days somewhere in the middle of Montana. (Thanks, Hag!) I know a small generator would be part of the mix as well. Thank you!
Boomer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
The main battery load comes from running a heater. The RV water heater and refrigerator can run on propane and only use a small amount of electrical power for the controllers. Using LED lamps keep the lighting load small. I guess if you need to watch TV or other such thing then that will take more power.

Many folks setup a non electric heater to eliminate the load on the battery.

In my trailer I have installed a Li-ion 2.2 kWhr battery which provide several days of use even with the furnace running.

fyi, in the PNW the annual average of sunlight is three hours a day, so if you want to go solar keep that in mind.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you have a small generator as you mention.... you will be fine with an ordinary flooded-cell battery. Boondocking is not as difficult as some suggest as the main thing you'll need is lighting at night and LED lamps will run for weeks on an ordinary battery. With the gen available... you'll have no issues at all.

As already mentioned, the furnace will pull the most power but unless it's near freezing or below you'l be under a quilt/comforter at night anyway, right? After a day or two....simply use the gen to recharge. We've run the furnace for two nights in temps near freezing without killing our ordinary battery. Driving to the next campsite (4-hour drive) recharged it just fine from the tow vehicle.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have 2 6-volt batteries, plus a Honda 2000 generator. We just bought a second set of batteries that we can keep fully charged, to swap out if need be. Our AS mechanic thinks we don't have enough roof surface to go solar, but it would be good to hear from someone else who knows differently.

We get very parsimonious with our use of battery power when on battery power.. For example, if running the furnace, keeping the thermostat set very low and piling on extra blankets. Turning off the battery at the main switch when we're out for the day. We travel with frozen gel pacs, which keep the fridge plenty cold (picnic cooler style) when it's shut off. If it's cold outside anyway, we don't turn on the fridge fan. The water pump seems to use a fair bit of power, so we try to spare its use.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
If you don’t already have the 6V lifeline batteries, this will make the difference between anxiety in the morning and peace of mind. Moreover, if you have the room to bring a portable Zamora suitcase solar panel you can float the batteries during the day.
You didn’t mention if your Honda 2000 was propane compatible but if not, the convenience and safety of using propane vs carrying gasoline is significant as you already have the tanks.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"Our AS mechanic thinks we don't have enough roof surface to go solar..."

Maybe not, but you can use portable panels and set them out on the ground. Your trailer may well be prewired for Zamp solar panels--look for a two-pin SAE connector on the tongue, labeled for solar use.

Or you could add a third-party portable panel or panels. For example, Renogy makes a popular 100W folding "solar suitcase".
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Paprika, thanks for the tips. I think our nearest AS mechanic (Spokane) is prejudiced against solar for some reason. (Maybe he's had to deal with customers who think they can run a bunch of appliances and their AC off a relatively small solar panel surface area?) However, I think they actually sell the Zamp panels.

We'd just like to keep the batteries topped up, notably when Bambi is parked (outside, without shore power) between trips, as we now disconnect and remove them for long breaks between trips.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote