Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I'm looking forward to meeting you all and visiting Wyoming and it's rocks. I would love to find gold and diamonds on this rockdocking adventure. In case you would, too, here's some reading.

Gemstones and other unique minerais and rocks of Wyoming. www.wsgs.wyo.gov/products/wsgs-2000-b-71.pdf A canvass of the entire state. W Dan Hausel reports on a lot of 'big' finds in an entertaining manner, but he doesn't explain how many man hours were required to find the big finds. For example, he talks about a lot of large gold nuggets found here and there, but Ray says most of the gold is very fine. So I guess I'll leave the metal detector at home.

Ray is talking about visiting the Beaver Rim area. I haven't read this one yet:
Tertiary geology of the Beaver Rim area, Fremont and Natrona Counties, Wyoming
Bulletin 1164 Tertiary geology of the Beaver Rim area, Fremont and Natrona Counties, Wyoming

And Ray is also talking about the South Pass area: Mineral Resources of the
Sweetwater Canyon Wilderness Study Area, Fremont County, Wyoming http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1757d/report.pdf
and
Geology of the South Pass Area, Fremont County, Wyoming
http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0793/report.pdf

I don't think these were best sellers so unless you are a geologist, don't count on these publications to keep you awake. But they are free!! And just maybe we'll find something if we know where to look.

See you there!

Dave & Susan

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I spoke with some Wyoming Jade dealers at the Tucson Rock Show this February. We will not be able to visit the quarry as he will be in... Colorado at a Rock Show. Another Wyoming Jade dealer said large pieces of high grade Jade were still being found in conglomerates in "Jade Country". Mostly deposited during the Eocene, about 45,000,000 years ago and eroding out from generous rainfall over the last couple years.

One place we had camped in the area, but the wash board road up to the camping sites are a stiff price to pay to beat the locals at their own game.

Dave, thanks for your post. Gold and Jade is where it has been found. Then, expand outside of that area to prospect. Some of these deposits are from eroded mountains that no longer exist in western Wyoming. This area we will be visiting has had massive upheavals and erosion when the area was... Tropical at the time.

As we begin to step outside with the improving weather... preparation is next. Our season's stocking the trailer began this month. We are anxious to get out and enjoy what is coming as weather improves. Be patient. Spring is coming as it always does... slow enough, but soon enough for all of us to get ready for an Adventure coming. And come it will.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
An update for those with an Airstream over 25 feet in length. Other trailer brands can consider this not as carefully due to their higher clearances...

My experience is an Airstream at 23 and 25 feet. Also a friend with a 25 foot Arctic Fox. He had several more inches of clearances due to the way the frame/axles seem to be attached to the trailer, itself. It is the clearance not of the axles, but the rear section of the trailer leveraging into becoming a source of "bumper drag".

My caution to those with an Airstream over 25 feet. The longer the trailer, the better you must be in knowing where your plumbing and rear bumper are when going from the main Forest Service Road to the designated camp site(s). The more experience you have... the less the risk. I advise that your passenger understand that they are as important as the DRIVER and to give hand signals while watching the trailer clear any changes in exiting any main road to camping site road/two ruts.

The higher the percent estimate, the easier access for an over 25 foot Airstream.

Laramie. 100% (paved, large parking area)
Beaver Rim. 75% (turn around will take some planning, but lower risk)
Lander. 70% (turn around will take some planning, but lower risk)
DuBois. 90% (longer trailers will be fitted in middle of caravan to camp site)
Granite Springs. 75% (main road to camp site circle needs attention)
Oregon Buttes. 60% (main road to camp site attention, turn around planning)

The above percentages are for drivers and passenger with experience working together. Some of these places I have not been to in a number of years. Road access may be much improved, or much degraded for additional caution. Your guess is no better than mine. Being there will confirm my expectations.

Any trailer over 30 feet would subtract 25% OFF of my estimates.

Caution and being prepared are your best methods to manipulate ANY obstacles found while on any of these Adventures. I carry two sets of leveling blocks and about 12 inches of wood blocks about 12" square of scrap lumber. The wood blocks, once you are at the camp site, I use to slide under the front jack as a pad for leveling the trailer once detached.

Shovel(s). Leveling Blocks. Wood Blocks (thicker the better). Outside help.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Too bad we won't be able to go into the Jade mine, Ray, but I'm sure there will be lots of other rock-ology for you to share with us where we're going.

I'm going to have new tires put on the Interstate before I head west for this, so anticipate being best prepared for whatever road challenges we encounter.

Can't wait.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just confirming our wait list for this great adventure.

Richard & Shelley Knutson

Tom & Vicki McDuffy

Richard & Karen Warren

Maggie
Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie... you are doing a wonderful job keeping everyone updated. Maybe I will learn something from all of this.

Good News... and Bad News. Thalweg reports that finding a copy of DeLorme's Wyoming Atlas is impossible to find in... Wyoming, of all places.

Thalweg and I highly recommend that an Atlas of Wyoming be purchased similar to DeLorme. Someone mentioned another Atlas also available that was better, but I already have an old and a later edition of Wyoming and have not found enough loose change to pursue any more. Wyoming's Public Lands are very well illustrated in the DeLorme version. For some States... it is not as true... like Colorado.

Everyone confirmed should have the "short" list of camp sites we will be going. At Laramie, WY, while at the Prison, your questions "might be answered". I said "at" the Prison, not "in". This is just a reminder that although the Thread may be quiet, the lights are still on.

Maggie will still be updating the Standby List as things develop on the Forum. Those waiting, will be sent a Confirmation Email when a opening is available, and the associated updated information as it develops for those attending.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Updating the wait list...

Richard & Shelley Knutson

Tom & Vicki McDuffy

Richard & Karen Warren

Lucius & Danielle Herrmann

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Due to the large volume of emails coming into my regular home email account, I am today, officially using an email address just for any Boondocking Adventure Threads and interest. This also alleviates the Private Messages needed on the website as well.

My wife Nancy will be keeping records and maintaining them. I appreciate the work Maggie has done in 2015, but now it is time for me to step up and keep everything under one trailer roof.

This is my direct email address for 2016 and beyond.

boondockingairstream@gmail.com
Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #149
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
50% Off Coupon for DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer

I don't know how long this electronic coupon will last but I found a 50% off code for DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer on Retail Me Not

The coupon can be found at:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/delorme.com

The products have to be ordered directly from DeLorme. I purchased two atlases and the coupon code took 50% off of the $19.95 retail price of each. You still have to pay S&H and tax but if you're buying more than one atlas the coupon racks up savings quickly.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I don't know how long this electronic coupon will last .
I just ordered WY and CO
Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice of you to share that, Lucius.

Me, I don't need a special atlas....I will just follow Ray and Nancy.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thalweg Mileages on 2016 Wyoming Adventure

Thalweg did a mileage total for each leg of this Adventure. I am rounding the numbers, but this will give you an idea of distances. This is a FYI. Our first day will be the longest, so the earlier we leave Laramie... the more daylight you will have to park your trailer next to a 250+ foot cliff... or a "rim" as this one is called in Wyoming.

Laramie, WY 0 miles
To:
Day 1- 200 miles Beaver Rim
Day 2- 75 miles Sawmill Creek
Day 3- 4, 5 125 miles DuBois
Day 6- 125 miles Granite Creek
Day 7- 75 miles Grey's River
Day 8- 100 miles Pinedale
Day 9- 110 miles Oregon Buttes
Day 10- depart from Oregon Buttes

There are gasoline and grocery stops within these mileages. Brent did a wonderful job getting accurate numbers and I padded them to be conservative. These mileages are just an idea of what to expect on each day for distances. Some may be mostly highway, and others Forest Service roads. All of the details are left out as it does not matter.

I plan to be in Laramie on Saturday August 13th. The Territorial Prison asks for a $10 donation to use their dump tank. We will be arriving empty grey & black, but with a full fresh water tank.

It is YOUR responsibility to maintain your FUEL, WATER, Black & Grey Tanks, Food and anything else while on the move.

Some campsites will require special parking angles for your trailer due to space needs. At DuBois we might do a wagon train circle if there is a large enough area empty of other campers! Woo Hooo....

Some areas will be dispersed camps at various pullouts. (There could be other campers in the area.)

This is an Adventure... not reserved camp sites for pay with numbered pullouts. You will appreciate finding a spot and following easy to follow instructions as to HOW we will fit everyone so we can EXIT the area promptly in the morning, when needed.

Everyone will survive. I am patient. You are patient. I have no more idea what to expect at any site until we get there. Maybe options will need to be made, although not likely, but possible.

You will get to know everyone very well. You might find someone that you like to be camped next to. Great. But plan ahead, so you can be in the traveling Caravan following one another.

Once the sun sets... you could be parked in a dump... and not know the difference until sunrise. The earlier we get somewhere, you can detach and drive out to explore. Just by 9AM... we will be moving if it is a day for traveling. If you like to sleep in late... great. I am up with the Sun and sleeping with the dogs after Sunset.

Each location gets more interesting as we go. The late afternoon before the next day's travel routine will be discussed to prepare each of us. If anyone needs something special, we will try to figure out how to take care of it and where.

After the first two camps... you will be doing this automatically.

When the adventure is over... you will be depressed it is over. I will be happy and elated. A win / win for everyone.

This will be so much fun for dogs and people alike. Take plenty of photographs. Take off the lens cap, first.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
This will be so much fun for dogs and people alike. Take plenty of photographs. Take off the lens cap, first.
As for photos, I'm trying to set up a photo account on Photobucket, or Flickr, or Google Photos where everyone can share their photos for these trips. Once I get it set up, I'll let everyone who is going, know where it is.

This is a little bit out of my wheelhouse, so if anyone has set up an account like this before, I'd appreciate advice.
Brent
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Additional "Trailers in Waiting" status

Added to Trailers in Waiting list:

#20- Barrett
#21- John & Jeanne

You will be notified by email when there is a cancellation and if you are still interested, if not, the next in line will be notified.

We are currently at 21 interested. If you received a confirmation, you would have already received an email. Space is "tight" at several sites.

IF... those with "Trailers in Waiting" status do not mind having to be the last to set camp for dispersed camp sites... I might be able to fit you into this adventure. Maybe adding a bit more adventure, but you will still be among great company. Contact me by email if you accept the challenge and understand.

Before leaving each Base Camp a discussion will cover what to expect at the next Base Camp. There is an organized plan to be followed, once arriving at a site for placing each trailer, RV or tent camper. By cooperating, everyone has an opportunity to attend. Each Base Camp has its own challenges, if any. After the Beaver Rim Base Camp... you will get the idea that this is not a Free for All.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming Adventure CLOSED and Full

2016 Wyoming Adventure is now CLOSED for new Trailers in Waiting.

There are no changes to report of individuals dropping off either list as of today.

For those who have been notified already as attending... while traveling, there will be some discussion(s) if an area is so tempting, so wonderful... and so pleasant that we stay an extra day. That is fine with me. I hate to be "towing" on the road, unless an area does not suit me. I am sure you are no different.

There is always another year and another month(s) for those now with experience. When I am busy doing something else in the future, there are a couple others who might take upon themselves, future Adventures.

Northwest Wyoming, skirting the National Parks is also something to think about for a future Adventure. Your imagination is the only thing that limits your possibilities. Oh yes. Maybe some of the roads, but you deal with it as they come... one road at a time.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Short details of what to expect...

For DuBois, Wyoming, there will be several river crossings. Not in your vehicle, but by crossing with your own two feet. Pack a small towel to dry your feet once crossing the shallow, but cold and quickly running stream/river. Also some light inexpensive tennis shoes or sandals to wear bare foot for the crossing. Once across you will put your hiking shoes back on and proceed further upstream for the larger petrified wood boulders washing out of the creek banks.

I often wear quality hiking sandals to hike. Wearing socks is a plus, as heavy leather boots are more trouble than they are helpful. I have many pairs of "heavy climbing boots" and will not need them for the majority of places we will be on this trip.

A light back pack to carry snacks or a lunch...up, and then use the back pack to haul selected pieces of petrified wood... down to camp. Probably a several mile trip, but used by pack horses and those hiking from Yellowstone Park to DuBois by back packers. You may come across these small groups that have been out a week crossing the high ground and working downstream into DuBois.

Several areas will be scattered/dispersed campsites, unless you do not mind having company. Once the sun sets it matters very little and these over night campsites are only a temporary place to detach the trailer and explore the roads in any direction.

Some towns like DuBois, Jackson, Pinedale/Big Piney will require everyone to disperse to top off your fuel and any other needs. We will gather on the side of town that is towards the next campsite. I am figuring an hour to do whatever you want, or less if everyone is ready to move onto the next base camp. Jackson, Wyoming will provide one to two hours of looking around if everyone is curious. There is a fish hatchery just outside of town on the north side. You will see some large trout here.

Again... special clothing is not necessary. If you garden in your back yard, you already have what is needed. You dress for the cool morning and by the time you return to camp... you have stripped off most as the sun warms the air quickly at these elevations. Ball camps or some head covering is advised. Nothing like a sun burnt scalp. You will return home with a nice tan.

The manager of the Wyoming Territorial Prison in Laramie is willing to give anyone a tour of the prison with two or more. They have guides there. Since I have not been to prison in Laramie, I have no idea what to expect.

The roads we will be traveling are "Improved" and most are expected to be free of major obstacles and hanging branches once at elevation. Oregon Buttes is dispersed campsites and you will be on a two rut which I straddle for best clearance. I might have to "whack out" a sagebrush or two if necessary as it has been six years from our last visit. The view is spectacular and the hike to the top of Oregon Buttes is worth the visit. For pullouts it is about one city block to find about any direction you want to align your trailer for the 100 mile view!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ball "camps" is the automatic spell check version of "ball cap".
Old 03-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The new "smart" computers and tablets are more smart assed than smart.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
The new "smart" computers and tablets are more smart assed than smart.
Me too
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #160
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
We have our ball camps ready. I have been looking at maps and getting anxious to go exploring. The mountains always start calling my name when the Mercury hits 90.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote