Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you could go back to the same spot, you might actually find some boxes in the median or on the side of the road. If you see any, you could report the Mile Marker location to the CHP, but it would probably be too dangerous to park and look. If you can establish email confirmation from the CHP of your report, that might help you out with your insurance company later IMO.

I would ask them to open an Incident Report via email if that is possible. You will need all the documentation you can muster IMO. After you establish email contact with them, I would send your photos to be added to the report, and CC your insurance company/agent with all of this.

Sorry I don't see any tweets or traffic cams from that time yesterday.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Please check the Google map I posted in an edit after you replied.

PS2 -- You can locate the CHP offices near Bonnie Bell [92282 zip] by filling out the zip code on this page:

https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office

The ones in Beaumont and Joshua Tree might be near the incident.

PS3 -- Do you remember being near this Whitewater rest area, where 111 splits off I-10 southbound?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9211.../data=!3m1!1e3
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, your insurance would probably do this investigating for you.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
ERilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And, you know, your insurance would probably do this investigating for you.

Maggie
Doubtful they will do it as proactively and thoroughly as the OP can do it NOW IMO. Especially for a relatively minor ding with no personal injuries.

Trusting an insurance company to do right . . . ?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I would try a mobile dent repair vendor
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mobile dent repair
... Call first. ASK if they have ever worked on aluminum... specifically Airstreams! Some have none and can easily rurn a dent into a bulge.

Airframe mechanics are a good possibility too. Of course Norfolk Virginia - home of the Atlantic Fleet AND Langley AFB - is an ideal place ro find these, but virtually any airport can refer you to someone local.

Paula
Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Before and after dent repair this past summer. Tree limb fell on it. Big difference...I had no crease, just a dent. You will always have a reminder of the crease because it’s aluminum.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	297745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	297746
Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMrT View Post
Yep far as I can tell. I called Cal Tran and The CHP and nothing from either. I will try to get a better feel when we start back that way on Friday. If anything seems familiar I can cal the CHP back and ask them to check on that location. They were quite helpful.
Just wondering if you were able to find any of the boxes when you retraced your route?

Happy Trails . . .

Peter
Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Truck lost it’s load on our trailer.

Nope no sign of the boxes. We think it was close to Banning though after passing back through. I have since contacted Jackson Center for a preliminary guesstimate close to 10k for complete redo and minimum of 6k for overlay. Insurance adjuster is going to have a look on Wednesday then the fun starts.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would consider a decorative patch. Not worth the effort to repair such a small dent but you might be able to hide it. Might get some insurance money for it though.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
A dent repair person could easily access the dent by removing the furnace cover. I still think it could be fixed that way but f the insurance is willing to pay for a panel replacement...
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
A dent repair person could easily access the dent by removing the furnace cover. I still think it could be fixed that way but f the insurance is willing to pay for a panel replacement...

I hope you’re right. I wont have any idea what the insurance company will say until next week.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would consider a decorative patch. Not worth the effort to repair such a small dent but you might be able to hide it. Might get some insurance money for it though.

Perry

Perry is spot on!!

Get the insurance quote first - and then check out this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...hes-68104.html

Awesome, creative ideas. You could use the insurance funds to hire someone to design and execute a patch for you!

I have an idea for some brilliant patches on mine but have no skill to do it....these are really inspirational though!!

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #33
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
I don't think so. Assuming the furnace assembly isn't in the way and you can reach up behind the dent, you'd be accessing the inner skin, not the outer where the damage is. Maybe could get behind the outer skin by removing whatever flange or frame is around the furnace opening, but I'm guessing that would be far from easy, and there would only be a couple of insulation-filled inches to try to get any tools up into.

Dentless repair isn't going to help on this one with a crease like that.

For a 2017, personally, I'd let insurance take the hit and restore my trailer to its new condition. That's what it is for. And I'd take it to Jackson Center in your case, as they are reasonably close to you.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
. . .
For a 2017, personally, I'd let insurance take the hit and restore my trailer to its new condition. That's what it is for. And I'd take it to Jackson Center in your case, as they are reasonably close to you.
This seems like the best solution, MrT, if you are happy with this model. The trip to JC and back will cost you some time and travel expenses of course, but if you heading back to Illinois anyway JC is not that far out of the way.

If you would like another length AS, you might consider taking the insurance proceeds, and selling the AS as-is, if there are no leaks below the damage where that furnace cover [?] is IMO.

What are your travel plans for the next 6-8 months? Are you open to the idea of repairing this on the west coast? There are good shops near you probably. I think you were planning on staying out west until May?

Good luck with the insurance company this week!

Peter
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Just hung up with the insurance company. JC is now our spring destination.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great news, have fun in San Diego! [if I recall your other thread correctly]

Peter