Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
New Tires - got Load Range E instead of Load Range D

Quick question - have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin. Just replaced the tires (over 5 years old) and wound up with Carlisle Load Range E to replace the original Goodyear Marathons, which were Load Range D.

Did I goof? The Carlisle tires were the top rated tires at Discount Tire in the correct size.

Did notice that top speed stamped on the tire is 80 mph vs. the 65 mph I've always been told is the top speed for the Marathons. Not that I drive that fast towing...

Also see the the inflation is 80 psi vs. 60 (or was it 65?) on the Marathons. Do I inflate to 80?

So E will handle a heavier load than D, I get that. But will the E's beat the crud out of the trailer?

Average 5,000 or so miles per year, mostly in the summer when it's hot. Mostly mountain driving in the west. Crossing Nevada in July.

Tow vehicle is a 5.7 4x4 Sequoia.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Quick question - have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin. Just replaced the tires (over 5 years old) and wound up with Carlisle Load Range E to replace the original Goodyear Marathons, which were Load Range D.

Did I goof? The Carlisle tires were the top rated tires at Discount Tire in the correct size.

Did notice that top speed stamped on the tire is 80 mph vs. the 65 mph I've always been told is the top speed for the Marathons. Not that I drive that fast towing... I consider this a plus as the tire should be able to tolerate higher heat better.

Also see the the inflation is 80 psi vs. 60 (or was it 65?) on the Marathons. Do I inflate to 80? If you want increased load capacity you will nee to run higher pressure. More load capacity in tires without increasing the actual load on the tire means more margin.

So E will handle a load than D, I get that. But will the E's beat the crud out of the trailer? Harder ride is dependent on higher inflation. See above about increased laod capacity.

Average 5,000 or so miles per year, mostly in the summer when it's hot. Mostly mountain driving in the west. Crossing Nevada in July.

Tow vehicle is a 5.7 4x4 Sequoia.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight.
Thoughts in red above
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
E rated tires are often given a bad rap on this forum as are HD trucks. I'm in the process of a X country trip. My AS is almost new, it came with tha usual GMT & I changed for out this trip to Maxxis E rated 10 ply tires. 3000 miles so far & I haven't popped a rivet or had any other issues and over some very rough highway I might add. I inflate to 75p and keep my speed at 65mph or less. Also, my tires are filled with nitrogen Vs air.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Im running the same tires mine are set to 80 and they do great. Im going to chalk them soon just to check. But the empty dog water dish in the middle of the floor hasn't moved but maybe an inch. So It must be riding very well.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Changing to 16" Michelin tires we had some concerns about roughing our Airstream as well, so we have now traveled many cross country trips around the country at 65 to 68 psi, our trailer rides smoothly. Maybe this is also part of using flexible weight distribution bars and a lightly suspended truck. The lower tire pressure from the 80 maximum most probably gives us better wet surface trailer braking.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My 25 came with C range when new. I am using the D range Carlisles at 65 psi. I can tell from how things stay put in the trailer that it is riding fairly smoothly.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, maybe Tireman9 will answer to the way I understand what you have done.

(1.) Will your wheels handle 80 lbs pressure?

(2.) If you run 65 lbs, will you have the same as load range D capabilities?

(3.) At 80 lbs, with a thicker/heavier tire, it has to ride rougher.

(4.) Example: Tires are not actually 10 ply, but rather 10 ply rated. Could be 6 plies that are stronger than the smaller/less strong 10 plies of yesteryear.

I changed out my Marathons for Carlisle load range D just before my cross country trip last year of more than 13,000 miles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, maybe Tireman9 will answer to the way I understand what you have done.

(4.) Example: Tires are not actually 10 ply, but rather 10 ply rated. Could be 6 plies that are stronger than the smaller/less strong 10 plies of yesteryear.

I changed out my Marathons for Carlisle load range D just before my cross country trip last year of more than 13,000 miles.
Perhaps I can answer those questions: (Roger, feel free to correct, augment, or contradict me!)

Very, very likely. My research indicates that even if the wheel is marked otherwise, inflation pressure plays such a small role in wheel stresses that it is basically a non-issue. Note: Load is PRIMARY issue and should not be ignored.

Yes.

True, but the amount is only 80/65 = 1.23 or 23% more.

First, that is the reason I prefer to use "Load Range" as it eliminates this confusion.

Second, you have to go way, way back to the era when they were 10 actual plies - and even then I don't think they were doing that. BTW, we are talking the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's - something like that. Certainly within our lifetimes, no one was using 10 actual plies.

But even back at the origins of pneumatic tires, it is very very likely that tire engineers understood that strength could be increased by using a larger cord, but less plies, rather than just by using more plies.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

My next set of AS tires will be E rated.

Bob
Old 06-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
Jerry & Suzanne

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
O Fallon , Alabama
Carlisle tires

I to just had the Carlisle tires on my 25 RB I think they were the best bet. I am getting ready for a cross country trip.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
I understand the urge to "over-engineer." I've been known to do that myself. However, did anyone tell you that tires are an integral part of your suspension?? If tires fail to perform (flex) as engineers intended, like it or not, other components will hafta pick up the slack (if that's possible).

Lunch is never free.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We had the GYM tires replaced in Oregon. Recommended by Les Schwab were the Carlisle tires. 4700 miles later across the country we are very pleased.

Additionally, East Bound on I 80 a vehicle entering the highway collided with the right front of a vehicle in the 1st lane slightly ahead of me forcing him into my position in the number two lane where by I had to steer rapidly to the left to avoid another collision. Talking about serious sway control. I was happy the tires were strong and a higher pressure.
We were in the second lane only for a short time to allow space for traffic entering the highway
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
OK to add to the questioning...I have a 16'Bambi running Marathons Load C. Would it be a wise move to move up to Carlisle Load D tires? Already had one flat with the Marathons? (So want new tires.) Or will that make my ride too rough?
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Perhaps I can answer those questions: (Roger, feel free to correct, augment, or contradict me!)

Very, very likely. My research indicates that even if the wheel is marked otherwise, inflation pressure plays such a small role in wheel stresses that it is basically a non-issue. Note: Load is PRIMARY issue and should not be ignored.

Yes.

True, but the amount is only 80/65 = 1.23 or 23% more.

First, that is the reason I prefer to use "Load Range" as it eliminates this confusion.

Second, you have to go way, way back to the era when they were 10 actual plies - and even then I don't think they were doing that. BTW, we are talking the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's - something like that. Certainly within our lifetimes, no one was using 10 actual plies.

But even back at the origins of pneumatic tires, it is very very likely that tire engineers understood that strength could be increased by using a larger cord, but less plies, rather than just by using more plies.
Only comment to add to Capri is that I know for a fact that some LR-D and LR-E only have increased number of steel strands in the belts as a difference. This to pass the required "Plunger" test where tire companies are required to push a 3/4" rod through the tread at rated inflation. In my case the increase in steel belts was sufficient as the rest of the tire passed LR-E testing.

Example. A D might have 20 strands per inch width and an E might get 24 strands (20% more) per inch of the same steel cord.

Tire engineering is fun
Old 06-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I thought going to E's would be the answer for me but on the first trip of year 4 of use, I experienced two belt separations on my E rated Maxxis tires. I kept those at 80 psi due to the weight of my Classic slide out. Bottom line ST tires for those of us with heavy loads probably need to be replaced on a 3 year cycle rather than a 5 like we have been accustomed to in the past. My belt separation occurred with my Marathon's at the end of year 3 of use.

Jack
Did you stay well below 65 mph or did you ever exceed the tire "Redline" speed?

Capri both race and know what happens when you exceed engine redline. Definitely not good for budget to have to buy a new engine. But people can go ahead and exceed tire redline cuz tires are less expensive than engines.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A general post on trailer tire inflation.

Speaking just about tire durability I would suggest you Google "Interply Shear tires" and learn about the advantages of running higher tire pressure to lower this force that is trying to tear the tire belts off the body.

Bumpy ride is also controlled by how fast you hit the bumps.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Question, What advantage is there going to an "E" rated tire when the 15" wheel has a max. load of 2200 lbs.? These wheels are the stock ones that Airstream used.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
You'll be just fine tuning the Carlysle E rated tires. I switched to them about 12 years ago and never looked back. On our former AS 30 and the current 34, I run them at 80 psi.
70,000 miles, no problems, one flat from a piece of wire, and that's all.
Good luck
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
So would you guys rate Carlisle the same, superior or inferior to the Michelins?
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote