Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
If a surge protector like the EMS30 is limited in its life due to surges is the same true for low voltage or bad ground. The main use of my surge protector is to cut power due to low voltage or bad ground. Do I need to replace my surge protector at any point if I never experience a surge and only low voltage cut offs?

Only the MOVs are sacrificial, other features are not affected by doing their job. Also, they will work as designed if the MOVs get toasted. I believe you can send the unit back and they will replace the MOVs. On the hardwired units, there is a card that pulls out to be replaced, not sure how they do it on the portable ones.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you get a direct hit from a lightning bolt that melts your power post, the surge portion of your EMS likely needs to be replaced. That does not happen very often You can verify the need to replace the surge board by the fact that the MOV's have split open ...

In normal use the MOV's are good for a couple hundred reasonably large hits. The unit may or may not disconnect depending on the duration of those hits. Do a large number of smaller hits also cause the MOV's to split? That depends ..... it certainly *can* work that way.

If you want to see a cracked in half MOV, pick up a surge suppressor outlet strip at a garage sale. You want the one that obviously has had a long and hard life. Spend a max of about 50 cents. Pop it open and there's about a 50/50 chance the MOV's are blown.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote