Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
No Shore Power

Our 2017 25FB Flying Cloud will not run on shore power. Tried both external connections for the 30 amp cord - have power through the cord and red light on the socket lights.

Checked all breakers in the panel under the bed - all are "on" and none have tripped. Turned them all off and on again but still no power.

Cannot get the GFI in the bathroom to operate - press the "test" button and the breaker will not pop out; press the breaker and it will not catch.

Is it as simple as the GFI failed? Is it a straight replacement with a new GFI outlet from Home Depot? Or is there another answer that I am overlooking or haven't found?

If it is a failed GFI unit what would be the reason for the failure? Hate to replace with a new one and close back into a fault somewhere.

Thanks in advance,
Walt
Old 06-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Check the Run/Store switch by the door. Make sure it is set on Run.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is the problem the one GFI outlet, or ALL 120 volt outlets? When you plug into shore power, what does the Battery Voltage readout on your monitor panel say? If it is 13.7-13-9 volts plus or minus, then the shore power is charging your batteries.

Please check all your outlets for 120 volt function.

What about your water heater, will it run on 120 volt power? And the fridge when you put it on Auto? How about the television plugged into a regular 120 volt outlet (not the inverter outlet)?

If you provide more details, the problem should be fairly simple to narrow down.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Store / use switch is on. No outlets, fridge, etc. run on shore power when plugged in. Battery monitor shows not charging. The way i noticed it was that the fridge was running on gas when I got home; it had been running on electric when i left in the morning.

Essentially the entire AC side is off. Trailer ran all weekend on battery power.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In my lay opinion, your model has a relay ["transfer switch" ?] to which the two show power connections come, before the 120-volt juice goes down the line. It is possible that this relay or transfer switch has gone bad. Stand by for links to possible threads on-point.

There is also a relay behind the Use/Store switch apparently. Not sure if this is separate from the relay above. Hopefully an expert who knows your model will comment.

Searching in blue search box above for "shore power relay bad" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=shor...=airforums.com

I would call your dealer, assuming you are still under warranty.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- You could try plugging in and unplugging a number of times, and also turn your Use/Store switch on and off, to see if the relays will reset. Click on the arrow in this quote to go to another thread which was in the search results above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLoveLaugh View Post
Thanks for the reply. Moved on to new campground and thought I had more problems. I plugged in to the front shore power input and no 120 VAC to the trailer. Now what...then after about a minute or more we heard a click and the power came on.
BTW still have issues with the side input. I contacted Jackson Center they concur that it is most likely is the transfer switch and emailed me a list of dealers.
PS2 -- Here are search results for a bad shore power transfer switch:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shor...:airforums.com

The expert lewster posted in this thread, so you might consider sending him a PM [private message] for feedback:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...em-166291.html
Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Thanks - going in for a checklist of warranty stuff in a few weeks - will add this if I can't figure out a simple fix.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The batteries will need to be charged ASAP so that the running lights and brakes will work, not to mention saving them from an early demise. You could double check your shore power cord too.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Try a different shore power outlet. Are you at home?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #9
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Update - it may have been due to less-than-full connection between the male end of the shore cable, the 30-20 step down plug to the 20a extension from the house.

While moving the shore power cord from port to port on the trailer this morning noticed that the red indicator light on the female end of the shore cable would go on and off. Traced that back to the adapter connection. Reseated the connection and the light stayed on. Tested the AC outlets with an outlet tester and had power. Used the "test" button on the outlet tester to trip the GFCI and reset the GFCI in the bathroom and on our house. Currently feeding the Airstream through the front "generator" port as that is the most accessible here at the side of the house and is visible when I return from work at night.

Some further questions -
-is it preferable to feed the trailer from the side port instead of the front port or is it acceptable to choose whichever is most convenient?

-i have a PD4655 replacement converter ready for installation the weekend after next when we are home. Should I go ahead and replace the transfer switch at the same time? I am not sure that this morning's work has ruled out the switch unless it isn't possible that the contacts reset.

Thanks everyone for the help and the information on this new topic of which i was not aware before yesterday.

Walt
Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, Walt. Given the core function of the transfer switch I would at least purchase an extra. Sounds like you are handy enough to swap it out on the road if needed. On the other hand maybe install it now and save the old one as a back up? IMO it does not matter which shore power port you use.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
The front inlet was added for use of a generator, but can be used for shore power too. I doubt your transfer switch is bad. Move shore power from one inlet to the other to see if you still have power. Just make sure you have a good connection to shore power. Pd4655 isn't hard to change if you have basic electrical skills. Pls read up on other install threads.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

2018 25' International
Anderson , California
Do you need batteries for shore power?

I have a 2018 Int Serenity. Does anyone know if you can run off shore power if your batteries have been removed for winter storage?
GoMochRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMochRi View Post
I have a 2018 Int Serenity. Does anyone know if you can run off shore power if your batteries have been removed for winter storage?
Sure. Don't let the + battery cable touch anything.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
S.L.C. , Utah
No shore power

I am having the same problem, I plugged in last night and had shore power. When i checked this morning I had no shore power and monitor read 10.3. It read 13.5 last night. This happened camping last week also. Shore power would only work once in a while, Is it a bad converter?
casey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1981 View Post
I am having the same problem, I plugged in last night and had shore power. When i checked this morning I had no shore power and monitor read 10.3. It read 13.5 last night. This happened camping last week also. Shore power would only work once in a while, Is it a bad converter?
The converter has nothing to do with getting 120 volts to any outlets, so shouldn't be the problem.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I can’t believe this is still an issue. My old 2012 did this brand new. No indication of the power failure source whatsoever. I finally realized I could swap the power connection from the side to the front and it would work again for a little while, that is until my wife had her hairdryer on and one of the kids stuck something in the microwave and it was all over again. There is a small relay that swaps the power from side to front. It is incredibly underrated and if you pull too many amps on it it will simply carbonize the contacts and stop the current from flowing. I ripped the trailer apart and replaced the cheesy relay with an actual contactor and upgraded the converter while I was in there. I provided all of this information to Airstream and they actually thanked me and reimbursed me for the materials I used to do the upgrade. I would’ve thought they would have upgraded it by now on their own but it doesn’t sound like it. I posted a thread on the complete change over relay repair/upgrade with part numbers and pictures way back when but not sure if they’d still still be around or if you could find them.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote