Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Shore Power Problem

Scratching my head on this one I have a 2012 Flying Cloud this past week we took our first trip to a local area everything went fine until we hooked up to shore power and it was nothing worked power at the pole was fine etc. Anyway to make a long story short just on a hunch I unplugged from the front plug in and plugged it in the rear plug and all is well. Any ideas on what my problem could be with the front plug ?

Thank You
BigGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Check your owner's manual. I think there is a transfer switch which regulates the flow of electricity from the two shore power connection points. Maybe this transfer switch is bad? Best wait for an expert to chime in. At least you have power for now!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- These search results for "shore power transfer switch" will lead to some other threads which might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shor...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
No kidding. We have a 2012 as well and had the exact same problem for the first time 2 weeks ago. Luckily there was an electrician camping near us who helped us determine the issue and it was in fact the transfer switch. Doing the research ourselves now on previous threads. The part for us is ATS-301.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I remove and replace those garbage transfer switches on a regular basis. A good replacement is the Progressive Dynamics PD-5110610, which also uses a marine style terminal block for your 120VAC wiring connections.

And yes, if only one of your dual inlets for shore power is working, your ATS is definitely shot. With the PD units, you can also easily replace the contractor board in case of a blowout without re-wiring/replacing the entire unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I remove and replace those garbage transfer switches on a regular basis. A good replacement is the Progressive Dynamics PD-5110610, which also uses a marine style terminal block for your 120VAC wiring connections.
Lewter - Is this replacement part something any electrician can replace? Or is there some magical airstream electrical skills needed? Can I just buy the part and ask my normal household electrician to replace it?

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Thanks Everyone for the replys is the ATS an easy install for a DIY like myself ?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any person with good DIY skills (and one who IS NOT COLOR BLIND!) should be able to handle the task. It is 120VAC only with no cross-over to the DC side....which will usually totally confuse almost any residential electrician. Hot (BLACK), Neutral (WHITE) and Ground (bare copper)

You basically have 2 runs of 30 amp (10AWG) ROMEX feeding into the transfer switch. One should be marked 'M' for main and the other 'G' for generator. The Main is located on the street side and the generator is located at the front of the trailer.

Removing these from the existing ATS will give you the length you need for similar connection (they are well marked on the new PD ATS) as to which cable run goes where. The old ATS should also have the connections marked on an inside label. it is ALWAYS a good idea to double check the markings on the cables with the connection points of the old ATS, just to be sure that Airstream got them correct (they DON'T ALWAYS!!!).

You the use a third cable run (I ALWAYS use 10/3AWG marine cable....... I never use ROMEX as it is forbidden by ABYC and really has no place in ANY moving vessel or vehicle!) to connect your 30 amp main circuit breaker to the new ATS.

In your breaker box all grounds go to the ground bus and all neutrals to the neutral bus. Only the HOT (black) will connect to the actual breaker. In the ATS, all grounds usually go to a single ground bus but all neutrals are separately connected to existing ATS neutrals, as are the hot conductors.

That makes a total of 9 connections. SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE!!!!!

Be sure to firmly secure the orange ROMEX cables to either the floor or walls so that there is little to no movement in them after completing the wiring. Helps with the minimization of the mechanical hardening of the solid copper that WILL occur.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
Thank You Lewster appreciate it very much !!!!