Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
Honda 2200i and running a 13,500 btu AC and refrigerator

We are considering purchasing a Honda 2200i generator and have seen lots of threads on whether or not it will run a 13,500 but AC. It will. However, we have the new electric only refrigerator (7 cu ft) and no soft start. Will it run both the AC and fridge? If it is marginal, would it help to start the AC fan, then turn on the AC compressor, then turn on the fridge? Does anyone have experience with this?

Should I buy the Champion 3400 duel fuel and not worry about it?

Buying a trailer is just the beginning of a long expensive journey!

Thanks for any and all input!
Einse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Honda 2200i and running a 13,500 btu AC and refrigerator

I like my Champion 3400…a lot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	403111

Carries the air conditioning and everything else with ease just above idle…runs off propane from the airstream system with a few mods.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks Rich. I have heard the same story from almost everyone, including LOLOHO. I am just worried about moving 100lbs off and on my tailgate in a few years and the lure of 10 db less noise is like a siren song. That said, I will probably end up going with the Champion.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’m a bit over over 70 years old. The champion is not an easy lift, but I’ve been able to handle it. Advantage is no gasoline in it, ever.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einse View Post
I am just worried about moving 100lbs off and on my tailgate in a few years and the lure of 10 db less noise is like a siren song.
Did you say expensive? My plan was (and sort of is) to buy a EU2200i and, if that proved inadequate, buy the companion Honda. Thus far, no need for the second one, but I don't have the electric fridge and so I can't say whether or not one will work for you.

Edit: And I agree with Rich's comment about preferring propane to fuel the generator, so I included a propane conversion to make it even more expensive.
DCPAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Another With Mucho Life Experience

Quote:
I am just worried about moving 100lbs off and on my tailgate in a few years
As a pensioner this product (or a mimic) becomes a trip extender whenever a more robust load rides along:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup...ity-60732.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Honda 2200i

Quote:
We are considering purchasing a Honda 2200i generator and have seen lots of threads on whether or not it will run a 13,500 but AC. It will. However, we have the new electric only refrigerator (7 cu ft) and no soft start. Will it run both the AC and fridge? If it is marginal, would it help to start the AC fan, then turn on the AC compressor, then turn on the fridge? Does anyone have experience with this?

Should I buy the Champion 3400 duel fuel and not worry about it?

Buying a trailer is just the beginning of a long expensive journey!

Thanks for any and all input!
I haver a 2019 25RBT with a 15K AC. I installed a SoftStart RV and plugged my Honda 2200i Companion....it failed miserably. I turned the fridge to LP and every other AC device off. It will run it. Not exactly what I anticipated.
Jim
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
FWIW, Costco has a AiPower (Yamaha engine) 2300 watt generator they sell for $499. I don't boondock extensively but will usually plan a 5-day trip once a year. Maybe some overnighters here and there. I wanted the Honda but couldn't justify the extra $$$ for limited use. I can buy 2 of the AiPowers for the same price as 1 Honda, link them together, and power my whole rig with no softstarts. Noise is about the same although the AiPower specs indicate its very slightly louder. Plus, they weigh half as much as the larger units.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Thanks Rich. the lure of 10 db less noise is like a siren song.
The way the noise level is advertised on portable generators makes it very difficult to compare, Champion says "59 db at 23 feet" but no mention of how much load that is measured, could be idle, 1/2 load, full load who knows? while Honda says "48-57 db" with no mention of how far away that is measured. The 48 is pretty quiet but from experience with my eu2000i I can tell you that is in eco mode with none to very little load. that said I am very happy with the noise level of my old Honda 2000 but the power is limited. I have not heard the Champion in person while it is heavily loaded. Maybe someone knows of an independent noise level test that would level the playing field for those shopping and that includes the popular Champion dual fuel 3400.

Keep in mind the decibel scale is not linear and every 3db means a double in loudness.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
Ditto rmkrum's rig, genny set-up, and "age" .
25FBT, single A/C w/ EasyStart, Champion 3400 DualFuel.

It's a bit of an effort to get into truck bed, but it stays there during camping season. We've been happy not to have to worry about what is drawing power while A/C is running; esp. camping in warmth of the South. Noise not much of an issue (running in truck bed with tonneau folded back for ventilation.)
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
The way the noise level is advertised on portable generators makes it very difficult to compare, Champion says "59 db at 23 feet" but no mention of how much load that is measured, could be idle, 1/2 load, full load who knows? while Honda says "48-57 db" with no mention of how far away that is measured. The 48 is pretty quiet but from experience with my eu2000i I can tell you that is in eco mode with none to very little load. that said I am very happy with the noise level of my old Honda 2000 but the power is limited. I have not heard the Champion in person while it is heavily loaded. Maybe someone knows of an independent noise level test that would level the playing field for those shopping and that includes the popular Champion dual fuel 3400.

Keep in mind the decibel scale is not linear and every 3db means a double in loudness.
Also none of the specs for these units are specific as to where the noise vector reading is taken. All these generators are exponentially noisier at their exhaust end when compared to the front. This is especially problematic when the only choice as to where you place the generator(s) is pointing at/ toward or away from your neighbors. This gets to be a major issue if you have to start up the generator because of a brown-out at the shore power pole. Its going to be poorly viewed by neighbors that you are running your generator after quiet time but when you point its exhaust at them...
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

HENDERSON , Kentucky
Generator

Hi,
I have a Honda 3000i Handi generator. It was not until this summer that I had to use it to run the A/C on my 2018 International 23FB. This is the smallest and lightest 3000W generator. I can lift it by myself, but don't recommend it!

My A/C does not have an "easy start" installed. My experience this June/July with the heat advisories while on the way to Acadia was this: Yes the Honda will run the A/C and everything else, but without the "easy start", when the AC compressor kicks in, you can hear it pull the Honda down noticeably for a short time. Once running no problems. It ran it for hours full out without issues. It also has the typical Honda quietness despite running full blast.

I know Sean recommends the Champion, but this is one of the few things I have not taken his advice on, for this time at least, I wanted the Honda, not the ones "almost" as good or quiet.

Steve & Gail
stwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Just to mention, the Champion weighs around 81lbs whereas the Honda 47lbs.

I run my 15K btu AC equipped with an EasyStart from the Honda 2200 in Eco (quiet) mode, but the fridge is running on propane. Given what others have said about the low power draw of the new compressor fridges, I would assume that the Honda could handle the fridge once the AC is up and running, but that is an assumption to be confirmed. Could the fridge run off the batteries/solar while the AC is running off the generator?
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Honda 2200i Gen and AC

We've overnighted in ElDorado, KS about 6 time to/from New Hampton, IA in July running our Dometic 13,500 (factory-installed hard start) with a single Honda 2000i, the predecessor to the 2200. Maybe it's the altitude--it's Kansas, right?--but we've had no problem running both the AC and the converter. And of course the fridge is on LP.

Figured we were pushing out luck so we've never tried firing up the 15K unit but your 2200 should be able to kick the 13500. I dunno. Running the AC on a hot evening into the next morning nearly drains a 3.5 gallon extended run tank.

We do have a 2nd 2000 but have never had the need to connect the two in parallel. Sometimes I think I'd trade them both and get the 3000i but thing's a horse for one person to heft in and out of the pickup bed. We corral the single 2000i well-padded in the bathroom when towing to keep it out of trouble.

I love the Hondas but it does seem that people are getting great service out of the Champion 3400 and other inverters without the extra weight and $$. Sure might give them a try!
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
Wow! I’m kind of blown away by the thoughts everyone shared. Thank you.

So what has happened on my end… I sent an bought the 2200i from Home Depot ( ($1099+tax). Yes it is pricy, but like I said I gave in to the siren’s songs of lower db and < 50lbs. After about a 1 hour break in period. I put it to the test. With all appliances off (and no soft start) it easily starts the 13,500 btu AC. However, I ran the AC fan first then kicked in the compressor. After a minute of running I turned the refrigerator back on with no problem. Even ran all the interior lights at the same time. So what is next?

Once the AC cools the cabin and cycles off, will I have to go through this start up process again each time the AC cycles back on? Probably. I plan on giving it a more through test while camping this weekend.

Am I going to install a soft start? Very likely.

Is this load going to cause an early replacement? I guess I will see.

I’ll post the results of my future tests next week. But for now. I’m happy. It is pretty quite and light!

Thanks again
Einse
Old 09-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Brandon , Mississippi
My restored 1969 caravel 18 has a 13,500 BTU low-profile Penguin II (draws 1400-1800watts) and a 3.5 cu ft Dometic 110v/LP refrig. (draws 200watts on elec).
Here in the Mississippi heat my Honda 2000 (circa 2005) would not reliably power both until I installed a SoftStartRV on the A/C. It does well now (NOT on ECCO mode, however) until temp gets to upper 90’s where it rarely “overloads”. It’s ‘workable’ for us. ��
epsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Like a broken record, I will add, MEASURE!! Get something like a Hughes Watchdog power monitor with Bluetooth and watch the amps as you fire up your AC or activate your fridge.
The helpful suggestions and anecdotes here won’t do you much good when you are boondocking miles from an outlet.
Comment two: Check the specs! Your fridge probably pulls 4 to 5 A @ 12V - that’s 60 W. This is pretty much nothing to your generator. It gets lost in all the other users, unless you are trying to survive on 180 W of solar collected for six hours a day.
I think you made a good choice. The soft start and some way to monitor usage will increase your comfort level. Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Brandon , Mississippi
All good stuff!
epsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote