Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
2 Shore Lines?

Hi Guys!
I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I am not posting in the right place. I just bought a 1971 Overlander one week ago. I have not been able to spend much time exploring all if its systems yet, but one thing seemed very strange to me. When I raised the rear access panel to hook up the electrical connection (shore line), I found that the trailer had two lines. Is this normal? I did not have enough time to undo any other panels and see what they are connected to, so I figured I would ask the experts! Any insight into this mystery would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks!
Everett
ecomstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Are you sure it isnt just 1 shore line, and 1 extention cord? I store a long extention cord that looks identical to my shore line and I could see how it would look like two power cords.

RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

If it's not just another extension cord, you probably have something modified by a previous owner. Maybe a seperate cord for an electric water heater? space heater? AC? Whatever it is, it most likely was not original equipment since all 120V circuits ran through the breaker panel powered by the main cord. Check it out carefully. Don't burn the trailer down!
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #4

1971 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Figured it out

Hi again,
I was able to spend some time with my Airstream today, and I was able to remove some of the access covers inside and outside the trailer. The second shore line that I have stowed away in the rear storage is not connected to anything inside of the trailer after all. I traced all the way to the circuit breaker where it is sitting disconnected. The people who had this Airstream beforehand really did a number on it. I have my work cut out! Thanks for all of the help!

Everett
ecomstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
What is the maximum length of shore power line I can run and what gauge should it be? I am looking at 100'. Help, please! Thanks!

Jack
JackRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRenner View Post
What is the maximum length of shore power line I can run and what gauge should it be? I am looking at 100'. Help, please! Thanks!

Jack
If you are going that far, my opinion is that you should extend the electrical service closer to the trailer.
I have a 10 ga. 25' extension chord that I use occasionally. It gets hot when I use the AC
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRenner View Post

Jack
It depends how many amps your going to use in your camper. If you want to use 30 amps of 120v at the end of a 100ft cord you will need 8 guage.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote