Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
repair records

Well, the repair records are far less extensive than I had thought. They mainly cover 97-98-99 when a bunch of maintenance and repairs were done, I believe some more work was done in Montana recently, but I have to contact the Father in Law for verification. The receipts are for; seats replaced in 97, new carb, new exhaust, muffler, furnace, new awning(now needs aluminum support-ends and bracket replaced),new water heater (now with pinhole leak, I found a site that will fix for $50 plus shipping, or if they can't fix it, they will pay shipping both ways ) checks of the tranny etc. This work was not last week, but at least we know some maintenance and repairs were done.

J.D.Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Idroba is just trying go give you an honest, non-biased answer to the question you had posed about the estimated selling price/asking price for the unit. Idroba has helped me, a relative new owner, on more than one occasion when i have posed questions here on the forums and has always been accurate and helpful with his/her answers. In fact, there are many many kind people here that are willing to give of their time and knowledge and experience so that we new comers dont make expensive mistakes on these rather unique vehicles.

When idroba noted that the hot water heater needs replaced for example, you may very well be able to find someone to "patch" the exsisting one with a hole in it. However, an inspector or informed buyer will notice this type of repair and it will be a red flag. The water heater being one of the major and expensive appliances. If its "patched" together then how many other things are patched together. Thats just one example.

I have found that in the long run on these vehicles, one needs to spend the money up front and do the repairs right the first time or there will be problems down the road. So you may be wise to not try and patch work anything together, save yourself some time and money and just sell it for what it is.

Whatever someone ends up paying for this vehicle will be a small down payment on what the eventual cost will be to get it right, reliable, and road wothy. Its in need of a great deal of expensive renovation for sure, im sure you realize that. My guess would be that you will end up getting less than $5000 for it, how much less is anybodys guess.

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
Mayco I appreciate and understand what you and Idroba are saying, it seems to come down to desired outcome, functional or as original, the first is easier, the second more expensive. I was not trying to be too snotty to Idroba, but nothing comes across as funny at 230am on a monday morning as it might sound in my head. The 8k was a place to start the inquiries, I have not posted it for sale anywhere as of yet, and any thought of actually asking for that figure is long gone. We're still trying to nail down some more specifics on maintenance, and repairs, before listing it. This being Portland Oregon,( a food cart mecca), I would not be surprised if it ends up as a mobile kitchen.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
sale price

I guess my wife posted on Portland Craig's list for 6k O.B.O. A bit more than I was going to suggest, but it is "Or Best Offer", and it gives room to dicker or drop over time. Anyway,.. cash talks and we'll see what it goes for. I would have posted to this sites classifieds, but there is some issue with my password, and they have not gotten back to me.(?) I would hope that it goes to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

1979 24' painted Airstream Argosy
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I think that is a reasonable starting price.. Any Airstream/Argosy "Classic" Motorhome is going to be more popular and more valuable than a square box version of same mileage and vintage and condition.. One methodology to work into pricing is to start with price if perfect, and then subtract a portion of repair cost (like 80% or 90%) for major items needing to be fixed or replaced.. Thus if perfect clean unit were worth $12K, you could subtract 80% of A/C <$1400>, Fridge <$1500>, Windshields <$600?>, Water Heater <$500> and so on.. That rationale might help encourage potential buyer (who may have even less of a clue about real price or value..) to believe your price is reasonable.. If chassis/engine/wheels/tires/brakes are in good condition (even with mileage over 100K) that relieves some of the anxiety, and turns it into just an RV restoration, rather than a truck and RV rebuild...
Your ad doesn't include the phrase "motorhome" in the title, which might confuse people thinking it is a trailer.. If it were my ad, I'd re-write it to read "1979 24' Airstream / Argosy Motorhome...."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote