Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Our First Time

We just purchased our 2007 Safari 25 SE/LS and will take delivery this Saturday. We live in Illinois and this is our first RV. After taking delivery we plan to take our time and travel to Arizona. We are rather apprehensive as this is a new experience for us. Has anyone ever comiled a general list of the absolutely essential items that be included for first time users or should we simply rely on common sense? We will be traveling with 2 small dogs and wonder if it is reasonable to leave them in the Rv if we take time out for lunch, this assumes they will not destroy anything.
Thanks
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Woodedareas: Welcome to you and your family, and have a great trip. So, as for a list, start with the search function on the upper right. From there you can find most anything. We have found we created a list, and add to it after each trip. The list will get very long, like checking tire pressure, a walk around to make sure vents are down and on and on and on.

Be sure you can back up easily and practice if you are not sure. Many campgrounds are a tight fit.

Anyway, a hearty welcome

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Congratulations on your new trailer!!

Hope your maiden voyage is marvelous. Many great questions!

There are many helpful how tos here at the forum. If you were looking for a what to bring checklist, this one is marvelous. As suggested above, the search feature will yield a lot of great info. There are checklists for things to look for when picking up a new trailer from the dealer, what to take, and info about pets too. Some people leave their pets in the trailer with the fantastic fans (on roof) running if its warm-we've never done that, but the pet forum would be a good place to look. Best wishes! Hope to see you around at Michigan/Midwest rallies.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I remember your feelings well - anticipation, trepidation, amazement and EXCITEMENT!!!

Make SURE to spend as much time as you need with your dealer going over EVERYTHING. May I recommend that if you have access to a video-camera that you viceo-tape the walk-through? Don't let them rush you through this - it is THE most important part of your purchase. Make a list of questions ahead of time. Also, spend some time reading the manuals!

Keep it at 60 on the highway and like the posts above say, practice backing up. Also, when you get to a campground, don't be afraid or embarassed to ask other folks for help/guidance - RV'ers LOVE to help out newbies!

Good luck - I hope you love yours as much as we do ours!!!

steve & susan
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
We will be traveling with 2 small dogs and wonder if it is reasonable to leave them in the Rv if we take time out for lunch, this assumes they will not destroy anything.
Thanks
If the weather is cold you can always run the furnace to keep them comfortable while you are eating. We bring beds for both our two so be sure to have something for them to lay on. If they are jumpers you might want to cover the sofa with an old sheet. Also consider if they jump onto the bed since little sharp claws can snag those polyester bedspreads that Airstream uses.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
woodedareas -- Welcome to the Forums! You have amazing taste in Airstreams if I say so myself. See this recent thread: What should we bring?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums from north of the border and congratulations on your new Airstream. We love the Illinois State parks you will need to explore some of them when you return from Arizona.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Just take your time

Congratulations on a very fine choice for your first Airstream. The key to a safe and fun trip is to take your time and don't be concerned about what other RV'rs are thinking when you are learning. We have all been there and as was suggested earlier, RV'rs are almost always an eager friend when needed. Reading threads in the forum will help you prepare for the advevture and can actually "season" you before you hit the road. Knowing what to expect and being prepared will really make it fun, more like a game than a challenge.

Again, fine choice on the AS.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm assuming you mean leaving your dogs in the Airstream just while you have lunch, right? If you mean leaving them in the Airstream while you travel, boy, are they in for a wild ride!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Welcome, and the SW awaits you!

Hello LakeForest!

Welcome to the wonderful world of AirStreams and all that follows from that!

Have loads of relatives ALL over the Chicago Area, including downtown, OP, RF, HydePark, HP, Barrington, N. Chicago, etc....

If your travel plans include ABQ, I offer myself as an non-official ambassador for the area! RT 14 north to Santa Fe and the Cedar Crest/ Sandia Crest area is MY speciality! There is a great smaller campground about 3 minutes from the house. You let me know if and when you are in the area!

Again, Welcome! Hope to see you out this way!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote