Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
I see where the black water exit is. It has the black slinky hose attached to it. But I'm pretty positive that the PO told me that the grey water exit was the one installed underneath trailer. I have an owners manual for this model but the problem is that a PO has completely redone the plumbing and nothing matches the original equipment or configuration.
jhenschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenschen View Post
The waterpump turned on and spewed out some water and air, then just water.
Now that is a Good Thing, it means that your water pump works!

Quote:
I turned off the water because I suddenly wondered where the water might be exiting from. SO I go outside and see that underneath near the rear of the AS there was a gardenhose like connector with a plug in it spraying water everywhere.
Well, you know what? The big round cap fpr the waste outlet often has a garden hose outlet built into it so that grey water can be allowed to go out onto the ground.

Which means you MAY have found the waste exit! Look closely at it; is the piece of garden hose you describe (the one that was spraying all over) connect into a larger round cap?

Quote:
I unplug the thing and water starts exiting. Its then that I notice that the water pump is going brrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrr... even when the faucet isn't on.
It could be that the water pump is just trying to pressurize your plumbing. That's more good news.

Quote:
It looks like a PO redid the plumbing so... *shrug* Is this where I should connect the fresh water? I does seem to have that kind of connector. but if that's where the fresh water goes in, where does the gray water come out? Hrm. I'll need to do some serious poking around there today since we're taking it out camping this weekend.
I think you still need to find the fresh water inlet (the garden hose connector).

But you MAY be making good progress.

By any chance, did the PO leave the manual with the trailer? If not, look on ebaY, I think you can buy a download of one there.

Keep at it, you'll be camping soon!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I see where the black water exit is. It has the black slinky hose attached to it. But I'm pretty positive that the PO told me that the grey water exit was the one installed underneath trailer. I have an owners manual for this model but the problem is that a PO has completely redone the plumbing and nothing matches the original equipment or configuration.
OK, you're typing faster than me.

One way to confirm if you have a black AND a grey tank is to open the "trunk" on your trailer (the big rear compartment). Look for a large valve that is like a guillotine in action (don't activate it). You have ONE for sure; the black tank.

If you have TWO, then there was a grey tank added. If there's only one, then the grey water, by design, just flows out the waste pipe unrestricted. Probably through the garden hose that was spraying earlier.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Yeah, we searched everywhere and there's no fresh water inlet anywhere to be found. I called the PO and left him a message but he has yet to reply. (Gee, wonder why.) There's no gray water tank, but I knew that before hand. So... I guess it's not TERRIBLE if there's no fresh water input, but it *kinda* is if I can't get the water pump system to work. We'll see I guess.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Okay, here's an update. What I thought was the gray water outlet, is actually the freshwater inlet. When the fresh water outlet is plugged, the water is drawn from the tank. When it's open and not connected to a hose, water from the fresh tank sprays out when you turn on a faucet. I also filled the blackwater tank with fresh water and flushed that out just fine.

So, knowing that what I thought was the gray water outlet is actually the freshwater input, I wondered where the heck the gray water output was since it's shy one hole. SO I had my son pour water down the kitchen sink and I listened to where it went. SO here's how it works now - when you pull up on the valve to flush out the black water tank, the black water flushes out. When you push that valve back down, the gray water automatically comes out of the same exit as the dark water.

Now I just need to figure out why the new batteries don't seem to power anything. Everything (kinda) works when connected to shore power, however. An exception is that when if I turn on the lights when I have the radio on, while the radio stays on, the sound cuts out.

Next issue is that after I installed new LED brake lights because I kept blowing fuses (I thought all of the lights were drawing too much power) all of the trailer lights and the new brake controller worked PERFECTLY! I was so pleased with myself. However, when I went to get it from storage and tested the lights before we left, nothing worked right again. It had been raining a lot and I suspected that water had gotten inside and was wreaking havoc. We drove it to the site and they didn't work properly the whole 1.5 hour trip. We were at the site for about 36 hours before we came back home and on the way back, everything worked fine. I suspect it dried out. Problem is now that I have no idea where its getting wet and the problem originates.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on having your first immersion in Airstream Mystique...!

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander