Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
1967 26 Overlander

Hello to all. I have just put a deposit on a 67 26 Overlander, after searching for the past two months for one that fit our wants. After extensive study, I narrowed my search down to three years, 63, 67, 68, in a 26' or 28',for various reasons including: bathrooms, original woodwork, and kitchen cabinets.

We found a 63 28" that was a good deal, but it has some exterior damage that finally curbed the deal at the last minute. If anyone is looking for a 1963 28 Ambassador Double let me know and I"ll hook you up..

I have not picked up the 67 26 yet, and I'm obsessed with studying everything I can for now. The article posted by "UWE" I believe titled "63 for me"??. Was one of the best posts I've read so far.

I know that I'll have a lot of future time on this website. The 67 we found Is overall very good condition. The only exterior repairs needed (so far) is on the exterior wheel well trim. right now i'm looking at spare wheels, trailer plugs, wheel well trim, etc. Hopefully it won't be buried in snow when time to pick it up. I'm going to have to drive 690 miles one way to pick it up in Wisconsin from Kansas.

Any other owners that have the same type of wheel wells that can hook me up with replacement trim, or links to, please let me know. For anyone that is interested, I will post more later. Also need a owners manual.??
todcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Alright!!! another '67 owner.

Congrats on your purchase. Where in Wisconsin are you picking it up? I've got an original manual that I would be willing to make a copy of for you. PM me if you are interested... and feel free to stop by on your way back to KS.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Welcome to the forum.

I too have a 1967 Overlander which my family & I have enjoyed immensely. '67 was an excellent year for Airstream products.

My Overlander has it's own web site. Let me know if you would like more detail on anything listed there.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Todcor,Welcome.
It sounds like you're doing all of the right things in terms of getting as much info as you can ahead of time. Make sure you know how to check for rear end seperation and floor rot.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Welcome to the forum.

I too have a 1967 Overlander which my family & I have enjoyed immensely. '67 was an excellent year for Airstream products.

My Overlander has it's own web site. Let me know if you would like more detail on anything listed there.

Tom
Thanks for the welcome Tom. We checked out your web site. Looks like you and your family are really enjoying your 67. It made me smile.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Make sure you know how to check for rear end seperation and floor rot.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave, Thanks for the positive encouragement. I am very familiar with floor, and wall rot, from three previous campers I have owned.

I didn't know rear end seperation was a problem in pre 70's models in 26'.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Alright!!! another '67 owner.

Congrats on your purchase. Where in Wisconsin are you picking it up?
We're picking it up in Colfax, North of Menomonie. (45 miles East of St. Paul, MN.) Thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Very cool...I just got my '67 Overlander in October and have been full timing it since then down here in Deep in the Heart of Texas...so welcome. BTW the folks here on the forum are great and can help immensely with any and all questions you have. I just joined the forum and everyone has been fabulous.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Welcome to another '67 owner! These trailers are the greatest! See you down the road. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcor
We're picking it up in Colfax, North of Menomonie. (45 miles East of St. Paul, MN.) Thanks for the welcome.
So you'll just be dipping into Wisconsin for a few moments and then back out again. Make sure you stop at a cheese stand while your here.

Good luck and have a safe trip.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations on your new purchase!!

Pay special attention to the windows and how they are sealed. There were three years (including 67) when the corning windows were used. There are some good posts on how to seal them and be sure to lubricate the hardware too.

Good luck!

Steve
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Another new 67 Overlander owner

Congrats. I just bought mine in November. Went through all the gas and water, had to do some repairs, but now ready to consider some winter camping.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Pomona , California
I loved the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Welcome to the forum.

Tom
Tom,
I read your "aquisition" story. I laughed outloud. I loved the description of your uncle Les and your aunts "airstream" comments. I imagined the whole story like it was happening right in front of me. I'm afraid when I get my first A/S and I lose interest, someone's gonna pull the same thing on me and I'll end up doing the same thing he did. Thanks for sharing. What a funny article.
davidachoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Tom,

Having read your story on your acquisition I wondered what your Uncle and Aunt, and your father, thought once you had the trailer redone?

I know my parents wanted an Airstream very badly in their travel days but with so many kids they found it hard to justify. They both were alive when we started our search but passed before our actual acquisition.

Great story, loved the way you presented it.

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Congrats,

Watch out for leaks, floor rot in the usual places.
By the door, under windows, and the rear bath near the window.

Mine has no dents and all original corning glass,

but no a/c.

Welcome to the family
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Having read your story on your acquisition I wondered what your Uncle and Aunt, and your father, thought once you had the trailer redone? ...
Barry,

One day I might write a followup about everyone seeing the 'new' Overlander. But, to summarize, my mom thought it was grrrrreat! My dad, while he appreciated the finished product, has never understood why anyone would not stay in a hotel when away from home. I believe his army service, winter tent camping at Fort Monmouth NJ, kinda jaded him when it comes to communing with nature.

Take a look at the "Tims Ford" trip entry on the web page. My aunt & uncle were in the group since their youngest daughter & her family were camping in their trailer in the site next to us. Uncle Les's health was taking a turn for the worse around then, and this was the first time they had been in the Airstream in a campground (they had seen it once before).

Cool visit. My wife and one of their daughters-in-law were inside cooking part of the meal mentioned on the page, and the Bay Breeze air conditioner was keeping the place extremely comfortable, even with only the screen door closed.

Uncle Les passed on a few months after that. Although he was was a man of few words, I believe he was happy with me getting his Airstream.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Tom,

That is great that the Aunt and Uncle got a chance to see it being used by a family unit once again.

There are a few of our friends who do not get the camping thing. In their world when you are away from home it's either a B&B or a Hotel/Motel and they think the rest of us are weird. They sure feel left out though when we are all off camping, doing the wiener roast and marsh mallow thing, camped in great forests and along ocean and water beaches, and enjoying great hikes. But we do NOT rub it in. Oh sure, we may send them emails with tons of pictures, but we'd never try to make them feel bad. Nope, not us.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. You sure have done wonders with the trailer and it is so neat to have it's history as well. You will need to acquire one more, though, so each of the boys gets one when they are ready.....

Barry

Tags