Old 02-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Thanks All...It's Official...I Sold the Airstream

Thanks for all the warm comments. I won't be leaving this board. There is just too much comraderie and information to pass up.

However, I did sell the Airstream trailer today. I watched it go off in the sunset at 4:30 PM today. I sold it to a young man who came all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah. He now has the dream.

I also want to thank Andy for providing the classifieds forum in which to sell my Airstream. The classified system was topnotch. My understanding was the buyer was not a regular forum member so there are probably a lot of people viewing it in search of an Airstream. I had over 1,000 views, four email inquiries and sold it in under a month. Airstream Forums was the only place I advertised it.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Devoman,

The actual pics of the van I own can be found here.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pleasure-Way.html

I took them at the dealer when I first looked at it.

Pork Tenderloins???

Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #17
_

. , .
the costs of owning vintage?

davydd

i'm curious, and others may benefit as well from your experience.

without sharing exact numbers......i don't want to be nosey.....

can you layout the broad costs of owning/enjoying the vintage airstream?

i'm thinking about the issues of buying a used unit,
keeping it a while,
then passing it on to the next happy steward....
along with a figure for repairs/upgrades made during your time....
and what you project the new owner might be spending if anything, if the first year for care and feeding....

this info could help folks contemplating an airstream vs sobs.

also your experience could help us answer the question when folks ask....i want to get an older trailer why are a/s so much?

good luck and happy travels with that benz......

2air'
Old 02-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Talking Pork Tenderloins? You had to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Pork Tenderloins???
The deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a midwest thing. They are very, very prominent in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa and bleed off some to the states bordering those three. If you find them elsewhere beyond the borderng states there is a very good chance the restaurant owner is a native of those three "I" states.

The lore is that the pork tenderloin sandwich was invented at Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, Indiana in 1908. Huntington was predominantly settled by German descendants migrating from Pennsylvania through Ohio. The pork tenderloin is very similar in the making to Vienese veal cutlets or Weiner Schnitzel as the Germans called them. I have ancestors from that area so have taken an interest.

So, what are they? Take a pork tenderloin, the tenderest part of a pig that is a piece of lean meat about a foot long and thicker than your wrist. Trim the fat and cross slice about a 1-1/2 inch piece of about 5 oz. Butterfly cut it, spread it and then pound it flat to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick or about 6" x 9" in size. If you want a wimpier version you can use precut pork loins pounded flat but don't use pork chops. Coat it in flour, then coat it in buttermilk (or just milk) and egg batter with black pepper and garlic powder, then coat it in bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs. Press the crumbs in good. Then deep fry at about 360 to 375 degrees F for just a little over 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve on a large sandwich bun with pickle, lettuce, tomato, or onion. You can use mayonaise, mustard or ketchup too. Your choice. A good tenderloin has to overhang the bun.

In Indiana you are not going to be a very successful pub or sports bar if you don't have one on the menu.

Indiana invented them and take great pride in them as the state sandwich. Iowa takes great pride as well because they are the pork state and produce more pork by a 3X margin over any other state. Iowa has to share its claim and fervor loyalty with loosemeat sandwiches. Illinois just happened to be caught in the middle with bleedover from both sides and had no choice but to love them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Tenderloin.JPEG
Views:	67
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	18214  
Old 02-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Cost of Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
davydd

i'm curious, and others may benefit as well from your experience.

without sharing exact numbers......i don't want to be nosey.....

can you layout the broad costs of owning/enjoying the vintage airstream?

2air'
I don't know if others would want to benefit from my experience. I did not have the time to do much with my Airstream and did not put all that much into it over two years time. The enjoyment of course is the pride of ownership. I don't regret for a minute in owning it even though I never got to really use it outside my own woodsy yard.

If you buy a vintage Airstream you are going to get a quality product, a stake in RV history, and great design. You can fix it up and still be way, way under the cost of new yet you will not look dated with its timeless design.

The cost? I did not gain in this transaction. I lost monetarily but gained two years of ownership with a great bunch of people. I hope I passed on the dream to a younger man with passion.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
pork tenderloins -- not just for breakfast anymore

Pork tenderloins, oh yeah! does that ever bring back memories. I grew up in the "O" state, Ohio, on the Indiana border, and worked for the local Dairy Bar through high school. The pork tenderloin was our most popular sandwich. Back in those days Schwan's Fine Frozen Foods would also deliver them to the door for those of us who lived too far from town to drive in for a sandwich and had to make it at home.

Davydd -- Good luck to you with the new RV. If you find yourself in New England, I hope you'll come rally with us. And don't forget to bring the pork tenderloins.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
We wuz just in New England

DougJamie,

We were just in Leicester, MA this week with the new RV. Heading home right now and stopped just south of Cleveland.