Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Farewell Vintage Airstream

It is official. We went and done it. We just took ownership of a Freightliner Mercedes Benz deisel Sprinter B camper van. Unfortunately it is not an Airstream Interstate but a Pleasure-Way Plateau. We have had our 1971 vintage Airstream Tradewind and had not made any progress toward getting it ready for use. We are still employed in the working world and our vacations the past two years have either been overseas or frequent flying visits to our far flung kids. Our passion for boating and kayaking further demanded our time on weekends.

What caused this? A few things. We are travelers more than campers. That realization was evidenced by us putting 1,500 miles in a rental car in 9 days on a small island--Great Britain. Our USA vacations have always been as hectic and they usually were visits to National parks, monuments and forests or fly in to big cities like San Francisco. None were prime for trailer vacations.

The straw that...? Last October we were up on the north shore of Minnesota in Grand Marais. Grand Marais has a nice municipal RV park full of motorhomes and trailers at the beginning of the Gunflint Trail. At the remote end of the gunflint trail 60 miles away in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area was the trail's end campground. We kind of looked at each other weighing the difference and our mutual desire was at the end of the trail where I doubt you could pull a trailer.

The coupe de gras? My wife casually summed me up and said she didn't think we ought to pull a trailer. She remembers the tangle I had with that moving tree in Glacier Park that took out our tail light. You can also blame it on the "Blue Beret". One of the Airstream dealers featured a Sprinter van in an ad that caught my wife's attention. So we started investigating.

Airstream was a dime late. Their Sprinter plan was one of the poorest with a center double bed layout. One day after we agreed to purchase a Pleasure-Way, Colonial Airstream posted a new plan comparable to the Pleasure-Way that even the official Airstream web site did not have. So, we are leaving the Airstream community and maybe you have seen our trailer up for sale in the classifieds.

This forum, however, is one of the best forums and there is still a lot of topics of interest for me not to permanently leave. I'll be around. Who knows? If I ever retire I might want to opt for something bigger. If so, it will be an Airstream.

Here's in with the new and out with the old...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plateau.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	18009  
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Davydd,

Congratulations! Your new RV looks very nice. I wouldn't have known it wasn't an A/S had you not said. Just put a sticker on it and say it is!

I hope you keep posting.

Enjoy!

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Davydd,

I'm sure you have already found out what a great vehicle the Sprinter is! I have a 140" van that I use as a TV for my new 19' CCD and as my work vehicle and it does a great job....16 MPG!! 23-24 in regular use. I have 40K miles on it and have just changed the oil for the 3rd time.

Have a super time getting in to all of those little places where a big RV just won't fit! I had a 40' diesel pusher so I know how difficult it can be.

And please stay around the forum. You could always get a couple of Airstream tags for your Sprinter (your secret's safe with me!! ).
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Look at it this way...

What's the Tow Capacity? (eh-eh-eh -- considering my usual skepticism of this unreal measurement)

See you on the bitstream --but you'll want to keep the Airstream for a deer feeder and maybe later use if you want other travelers' heads to snap around with a "What was that!?"

From our state's most played polka, the Minnesota Rouser:
Minnesota, hats off to thee,
To thy colors true we shall ever be...
Firm and strong, united are we.
Rah, rah, rah, for Ski-U-Mah,
Rah, rah, rah, rah,
Rah for the U of M.
Attached Images

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's just a fact of life that fixing up and using an old trailer is not for everyone, particularly with the 'personality' they tend to exhibit. Sounds like you made a wise choice, and hopefully it will let you enjoy your weekends out even more. Looks like a nice rig! I've always wondered how they got so much stuff packed into such a tiny area. How do you think you'll enjoy camping in it?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Davydd, congratulations on a well thought out change. I am a firm believer that change is good, and this will be good for you. Please stay on the forum; I always read your responses and have valued your ideas again and again. I understand the GM Municipal Campground/Trails End story, having been to both many times. We have friends with a grandfathered cabin property on the Canadian side of Sag~a "few" paddle strokes from Trails End. Best wishes, happy travels, and I hope we continue to enjoy your presence on the forum ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Tow capacity of the Sprinter is 5,000 lbs. In theory I could pull the Airstream I have. In theory that is.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Pics

Could you show pics of the inside.I am really curious as to how it looks.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
_

. , .
davydd, devo and others.....

congrats on the new b, it is so a!!

but you left dodge out of that really long name........

these are canadian made and nicer than the 2 u.s. made a/s models....the westie....is nice imo but has the topper too.

you can see pics and the specs here.....
http://www.pleasureway.com/home.html

http://www.pleasureway.com/plateau.html

i saw these at a couple of rv shows last year......as i recall they had one with birch wood interior which was verrrrrrrrry nice, and another with cherry?

nicely equipped and built you did very well. post some pics of a trip soon!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Towing with the Sprinter

Davydd:

The Gross Combined Weight Rating for your new Sprinter is 14,990 pounds so if you take the curb weight of your loaded Pleasureway away from that you will see that you have plenty of room to pull your old trailer.

Your new rig was built in SASKATOON, Saskatchewan, as you probably know - but others may enjoy knowing too.

Enjoy.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
The Actual Van Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Could you show pics of the inside.I am really curious as to how it looks.Thanks
Devoman,

The actual pics of the van I own can be found here.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pleasure-Way.html

I took them at the dealer when I first looked at it.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Wink Oh no! Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
davydd, devo and others.....

congrats on the new b, it is so a!!

but you left dodge out of that really long name........

these are canadian made and nicer than the 2 u.s. made a/s models....the westie....is nice imo but has the topper too.

you can see pics and the specs here.....
http://www.pleasureway.com/home.html

http://www.pleasureway.com/plateau.html

i saw these at a couple of rv shows last year......as i recall they had one with birch wood interior which was verrrrrrrrry nice, and another with cherry?

nicely equipped and built you did very well. post some pics of a trip soon!

cheers
2air'
Noooo! It is a Freightliner. Mine is badged completely as a Freightliner. Better looking front grill than the Dodge in my opinion. The diesel engine says Mercedes Benz. I think I got in under the wire. All new Sprinter B vans coming from the conversion manufacturers in Canada and the US are showing up as Dodge badged. The converters probably buy vans in lots and convert them. Mine is technically a 2004 van and a 2005 model year conversion. I think somewhere midway in the 2005 conversion year they switched over to Dodge. Probably when they ran out of 2004 stock and got in the newer 2005 stock.

OK, I am a snob about that. I haven't gone so far as some I have heard that have gone online and ordered Mercedes Benz grills and badges and replace them.

There are three US manufacturers I am aware of, Airstream, Gulfstream and Sportsmobile. They all use plastic laminate cabinetry. The four Canadian manufacturers, Great West, Roadtrek, Liesure Travel Vans and Pleasure-Way all use solid wood cabinetry. Pleasure-Way seems to be the best in the cabinet category. Mine is light Maple.

The Airstream Interstate is a very nice looking unit and suits my aesthetic taste. The Airstream Westfalia is the most unique and would be great for younger couples and those with small children. If I had unlimited funds I would have bought a Liesure Travel Van Free Spirit LSS but I saved over $17,000 from the best deal I could negotiate. Even my vanity could not succumb to that fact.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I run a 2004 Sprinter and it has a listed cargo capacity of 3800 lbs PLUS a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. I did a cross-country run last summer almost to capacity with 3200 lbs of cargo and a 4000 lb motorcycle trailer. NO PROBLEM! Given the 2.7 liter 5 cylinder diesel with 165 HP and 255 ft/lb of torque, the bigger hills were a little 'challenging' but once at highway speed, it held like a champ. Great ride and 15-16 mpg with all of the load.

The only modification that I did (highly recommended!) was to add a set of Firestone air bags to the rear suspension. Helped tremendously with the ride and held up it's end brilliantly! (no sag)

PS: These vans are made in Stuttgart, Germany and are really Mercedes products. I removed the front chrome strip on my hood to two-tone paint it and found a large circular cut-out there. What do you think it was for?.....the circular Mercedes emblem of course!!! So now I have removed the Dodge grill and it's ugly chrome facade (IMHO) and replaced it with a nice, plain black Benz circle. LOOKS GREAT!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Davydd;

There are no farewells just new chapters in your lives. I love your choice! and have been secretly collecting brochures - for the future

Love that rear bed layout - reminds me of the Cuddy set up - sport cruiser boats. Hey you could even fling those doors wide open and sleep under the stars after a great paddle!

Good luck and happy trails...

PS I think it is about time this forum comes up with a "dearly departed" forum for all our friends who choose a different path - that way they won't feel like they can't post just because they do not have an Airstream anymore

Once an airstream enthusiast always one - they may not be the best and can be priced quite out of this world for what you get - but they sure are unique.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Thanks All...It's Official...I Sold the Airstream

Thanks for all the warm comments. I won't be leaving this board. There is just too much comraderie and information to pass up.

However, I did sell the Airstream trailer today. I watched it go off in the sunset at 4:30 PM today. I sold it to a young man who came all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah. He now has the dream.

I also want to thank Andy for providing the classifieds forum in which to sell my Airstream. The classified system was topnotch. My understanding was the buyer was not a regular forum member so there are probably a lot of people viewing it in search of an Airstream. I had over 1,000 views, four email inquiries and sold it in under a month. Airstream Forums was the only place I advertised it.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Devoman,

The actual pics of the van I own can be found here.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pleasure-Way.html

I took them at the dealer when I first looked at it.

Pork Tenderloins???
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
_

. , .
the costs of owning vintage?

davydd

i'm curious, and others may benefit as well from your experience.

without sharing exact numbers......i don't want to be nosey.....

can you layout the broad costs of owning/enjoying the vintage airstream?

i'm thinking about the issues of buying a used unit,
keeping it a while,
then passing it on to the next happy steward....
along with a figure for repairs/upgrades made during your time....
and what you project the new owner might be spending if anything, if the first year for care and feeding....

this info could help folks contemplating an airstream vs sobs.

also your experience could help us answer the question when folks ask....i want to get an older trailer why are a/s so much?

good luck and happy travels with that benz......

2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Talking Pork Tenderloins? You had to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Pork Tenderloins???
The deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a midwest thing. They are very, very prominent in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa and bleed off some to the states bordering those three. If you find them elsewhere beyond the borderng states there is a very good chance the restaurant owner is a native of those three "I" states.

The lore is that the pork tenderloin sandwich was invented at Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, Indiana in 1908. Huntington was predominantly settled by German descendants migrating from Pennsylvania through Ohio. The pork tenderloin is very similar in the making to Vienese veal cutlets or Weiner Schnitzel as the Germans called them. I have ancestors from that area so have taken an interest.

So, what are they? Take a pork tenderloin, the tenderest part of a pig that is a piece of lean meat about a foot long and thicker than your wrist. Trim the fat and cross slice about a 1-1/2 inch piece of about 5 oz. Butterfly cut it, spread it and then pound it flat to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick or about 6" x 9" in size. If you want a wimpier version you can use precut pork loins pounded flat but don't use pork chops. Coat it in flour, then coat it in buttermilk (or just milk) and egg batter with black pepper and garlic powder, then coat it in bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs. Press the crumbs in good. Then deep fry at about 360 to 375 degrees F for just a little over 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve on a large sandwich bun with pickle, lettuce, tomato, or onion. You can use mayonaise, mustard or ketchup too. Your choice. A good tenderloin has to overhang the bun.

In Indiana you are not going to be a very successful pub or sports bar if you don't have one on the menu.

Indiana invented them and take great pride in them as the state sandwich. Iowa takes great pride as well because they are the pork state and produce more pork by a 3X margin over any other state. Iowa has to share its claim and fervor loyalty with loosemeat sandwiches. Illinois just happened to be caught in the middle with bleedover from both sides and had no choice but to love them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Tenderloin.JPEG
Views:	143
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	18214  
Old 02-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Cost of Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
davydd

i'm curious, and others may benefit as well from your experience.

without sharing exact numbers......i don't want to be nosey.....

can you layout the broad costs of owning/enjoying the vintage airstream?

2air'
I don't know if others would want to benefit from my experience. I did not have the time to do much with my Airstream and did not put all that much into it over two years time. The enjoyment of course is the pride of ownership. I don't regret for a minute in owning it even though I never got to really use it outside my own woodsy yard.

If you buy a vintage Airstream you are going to get a quality product, a stake in RV history, and great design. You can fix it up and still be way, way under the cost of new yet you will not look dated with its timeless design.

The cost? I did not gain in this transaction. I lost monetarily but gained two years of ownership with a great bunch of people. I hope I passed on the dream to a younger man with passion.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
pork tenderloins -- not just for breakfast anymore

Pork tenderloins, oh yeah! does that ever bring back memories. I grew up in the "O" state, Ohio, on the Indiana border, and worked for the local Dairy Bar through high school. The pork tenderloin was our most popular sandwich. Back in those days Schwan's Fine Frozen Foods would also deliver them to the door for those of us who lived too far from town to drive in for a sandwich and had to make it at home.

Davydd -- Good luck to you with the new RV. If you find yourself in New England, I hope you'll come rally with us. And don't forget to bring the pork tenderloins.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote